Celebrity Cruise Gratuity Increase from 14th June 2016

MR_T

Oh, if only all cruise lines were Japanese owned - a culture where is tip is not only unnecessary but considered an insult.

Let's be clear, gratuities that are not included in the price are just a marketing and accounting tool - people often buy on headline price and then factor in the gratuities later. It's the same mind manipulation as prices that end in 99p or $-999.

Let's also be certain that even if everything were included and all the crew were so amazingly well paid that they were dripping in gold jewellery some folks would still feel compelled to tip extra because they are so indoctrinated in that sort of nonsense or because, to paraphrase one poster, it makes the crew like them more. What a strange world.

Our first ever cruise was about 15 years ago with Carnival. The system then was that if you got gratuities included in the price you were given vouchers and envelopes, $X for the wait staff, $Y for the maitre d', $Z for the cabin steward. On the final night the maitre d' stood at the MDR door with his best cheesy smile and his hand out. I can only assume that this clunky system was so that people could get the psychological confirmation of handing over something and getting that transient smile to indicate that yes, you are a wonderful person not a cheapskate.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

I love traveling in Great Britain and other countries where they don't tip. I save alot of money because I don't have to tip anyone. But when they travel in countries where tipping is expected, or on a North American cruiseline, then they should be willing to tip appropriately.

In the UK our workers are paid a 'living wage', even in the hospitality industry so when we tip it is because the service has been exceptional and the recipient is happy to receive 5%, 10%, or whatever as it is perceived as a bonus for the effort they have made.

Before travelling anywhere I always read up on customs, and tipping etc. in the countries I will visit to ensure I do not get it wrong. I dislike the fact that whatever the advertised cost of a meal, drink, or taxi fare I know that it is actually going to cost me at least 20% more. Often I do not feel I have been looked after in an exceptional way but as the staff expect a tip they do not need to go above and beyond. And I do still tip as I feel I have to.

I would love my cruise to include the tip / service charge within the fare with no necessity for extra tipping except for exceptional service. It can be used to pay the crew a fair wage. I know the cruise fare will be higher but at least I know the price I need to pay. There should be no need to tip for the service the staff are expected to offer - it is their job and they are paid to do it. In my working life I was paid to do my job, and there were no tips, and I still did my job well.

I will still cruise, and I will still pay my tips, but I wish it could change.

Hi

I agree with Laslomas, we always prepay tips as we do Select dining.

Recently in Australia our friends had to rein me in as I wanted to tip 10% minimum which they said is way too much. We as Brits have cruised since 1991 and are used to tipping, I don't like being tarred with a brush that says Brits do not tip.

Since it is not retroactive, I've just adjusted my booking to include prepaids, so I will not have the increase. That being said, I always tip my steward, waiter, and ass't waiter extra the last day. On my last cruise on MSC, for the first time, I also tipped the Maitre'D, because he was so professional throughout the cruise. Came to our table every night to talk, and ask how we were enjoying ourselves. Most of the time, they only see you the last night.

No, you said "You can remove tips if you wish, doesn't matter your dining arrangements".

The daily programme last week made it clear that guests who were on Select Dining could not adjust or remove their gratuities on board at all, regardless of whether they paid up front or chose to have them added to their daily account.

If that is the case, that is a new procedure as of your cruise.

Not even in bars? I went to fish and chips back in 1979 the locals told me that 10% was appropriate.

Here in Spain it's a round up. Not even close to a percentage. Also it n most places the food prices are post tax.

Unlike the US where it's taxes and tipped to death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very unusual to tip in everyday bars (pubs) IMO in the UK, you might offer to "put a drink behind the bar" but again not the norm . Restaurants you might add 10% but it's at your discretion and you wouldn't be chastised for not leaving a tip.

London tends to be a bit different....hotels and restaurants are increasingly adding a service charge which is discretionary and can be removed. I notice the Ivy in London adds an additional £2 cover charge per person (which I don't think is discretionary) in addition to a 12.5% discretionary charge.

If that is the case, that is a new procedure as of your cruise.

I think this change might be a result of people complaining that they had to pre-pay their gratuities ahead of the cruise if they had "Select" dining. The big complaint was since they had to pre-pay, they were not able to use their OBC to pay for the gratuities.

I understand that now Celebrity is not requiring pre-paid gratuities ahead of time for choosing "Select" dining so you could use your OBC to pay for the gratuities. The fact that you can't opt out of the automatic gratuities with Select dining makes sense.

Very unusual to tip in everyday bars (pubs) IMO in the UK, you might offer to "put a drink behind the bar" but again not the norm . Restaurants you might add 10% but it's at your discretion and you wouldn't be chastised for not leaving a tip.

London tends to be a bit different....hotels and restaurants are increasingly adding a service charge which is discretionary and can be removed. I notice the Ivy in London adds an additional £2 cover charge per person (which I don't think is discretionary) in addition to a 12.5% discretionary charge.

I hope they are still payed a living wage.

I did make a living off tips many years ago. I worked hard, I was able to live, barely. The tip was based on per head or 10 to 15%. I read an article about tipping in the US. Some of the items shocked

I think they should have the service fee incorporated and if you receive exceptional service that little extra is appropriate.

I love traveling in Great Britain and other countries where they don't tip. I save alot of money because I don't have to tip anyone. But when they travel in countries where tipping is expected, or on a North American cruiseline, then they should be willing to tip appropriately.

I doubt you're saving anything, as the cost of your meal is probably higher to include the living wage. It might spare you the pain of figuring out what 15% of 32 GBP is, but that's about it. The same applies when some politicians want to raise the taxes paid by corporations who then pass the tab on to the general public. Or how about states who proudly announce they have no income tax but neglect to mention their ridiculous property or sales taxes. Don't kid yourself, the piper must be paid.

Worked all my life in the NHS in UK,never once had a tip,its just not done in the uk,all everyone on here says is "the crew worked hard" so did i !!!!.

The "tips" should be included in the fare,if that put's it beyond any ones reach so be it !!

Same for teaching in UK!

I think this change might be a result of people complaining that they had to pre-pay their gratuities ahead of the cruise if they had "Select" dining. The big complaint was since they had to pre-pay, they were not able to use their OBC to pay for the gratuities.

I maybe out of touch, but when were the pre paid tips for Select dining removed?

Edited by upwarduk

I understand that now Celebrity is not requiring pre-paid gratuities ahead of time for choosing "Select" dining so you could use your OBC to pay for the gratuities. The fact that you can't opt out of the automatic gratuities with Select dining makes sense.

I agree with you about using the OBC to pay for gratuities but I don't see the difference in Select vs. Traditional if you are paying for them on board. Oh well, we can talk about it next week.

I agree with you about using the OBC to pay for gratuities but I don't see the difference in Select vs. Traditional if you are paying for them on board. Oh well, we can talk about it next week.

I think having to pre-pay tips for Select and now letting you use OBC to pay for them while not allowing you to remove from the automatic daily tips was a good compromise.

I agree that no one should be allowed to remove the automatic tips whether select or traditional.

We're in Blu on the 5th of June and our tips are paid for by Celebrity as part of our cruise package, so I don't have to worry about it this cruise.

Well said. "When in Rome".

What I don't like is the18% added on to the already inflated spa prices.

I agree with you. I think I paid 24$ to get one acrylic nail fixed. I have decided no more massages or salon services until they come down to earth.

I had also heard on previous cruises that people booked Traditional Dining because they didn't want to pre-pay tips and when they got on the ship they then switched to Select Dining.

So not having to pre-pay tips for Select would eliminate this problem.

I had also heard on previous cruises that people booked Traditional Dining because they didn't want to pre-pay tips and when they got on the ship they then switched to Select Dining.

That explains the empty dining seats

I think having to pre-pay tips for Select and now letting you use OBC to pay for them while not allowing you to remove from the automatic daily tips was a good compromise.

I agree that no one should be allowed to remove the automatic tips whether select or traditional.

We're in Blu on the 5th of June and our tips are paid for by Celebrity as part of our cruise package, so I don't have to worry about it this cruise.

Agree, we will see you in Blu, Brian's first time in Aqua.

That explains the empty dining seats

Many have reported they did exactly what the previous poster said. That and all the Specialty dining is one reason why they flipped a couple of floors on some ships.

What I don't like is the18% added on to the already inflated spa prices.

I agree with you. I think I paid 24$ to get one acrylic nail fixed. I have decided no more massages or salon services until they come down to earth.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!! I have no problem with tips for Food & Bev and Housekeeping staff....

But the spa prices are already absurd!! Haven't used a spa service in about 4 years and have no intention of ever doing so....... Get a massage before or after or both on land and you STILL won't hit the prices for one short one on ANY ship on ANY line..... craziness.....but I got sucked in too when I first cruised....as I suspect do many others....:eek:

We always book select and prepay. I can't see the difference. Whether we prepay or pay as we go, we still pay the same!

We always book select and prepay. I can't see the difference. Whether we prepay or pay as we go' date=' we still pay the same![/quote']

The reason being people don't want to pre-pay tips since they want to use any OBC they have on their account for tips. If they book Tradtional Dining tips are not added until you are on the ship. Then once they get on the ship they change to Select dining, tips are added to their account and they can offset with OBC.

Big difference.

Edited by CruisingChick

I guess we may be the odd ones on this thread. We always leave extra tips ($1.00 per drink) in cash every time we have a coffee drink or cocktail. It doesn't matter which venue we're in,(Michael'sClub or Il Bacio). We appreciate the good service. As Americans, maybe we go a bit overboard, but that's how we think. JMHO...