Celebrity Cruise Gratuity Increase from 14th June 2016

MR_T

I guess we may be the odd ones on this thread. We always leave extra tips ($1.00 per drink) in cash every time we have a coffee drink or cocktail. It doesn't matter which venue we're in,(Michael'sClub or Il Bacio). We appreciate the good service. As Americans, maybe we go a bit overboard, but that's how we think. JMHO...

Since gratuities went up to 18% on all drinks, the only time we give cash tips now are to the bar servers in the Elite Lounge.

Since gratuities went up to 18% on all drinks, the only time we give cash tips now are to the bar servers in the Elite Lounge.

That too, and also at Café al Bacio since we are Elite+ and I have my free double espresso each morning.

The reason being people don't want to pre-pay tips since they want to use any OBC they have on their account for tips. If they book Tradtional Dining tips are not added until you are on the ship. Then once they get on the ship they change to Select dining, tips are added to their account and they can offset with OBC.

Big difference.

OK Thanks!

Correct, anytime we are getting a "free-bie" we give a cash tip.

Yeap and my "freebie " classic package plan on doing the same. NCL However charges you the 18% service fee upfront on their "free" package.

Face it we are paying in one way or the other. At least NCL did not charge me for my imaginary roommate . Hint hint X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DK,

You will love Blu. Highly recommend the Blu Parfait (A breakfast granola with yogurt).

Pure yuminess.

Thanks, I have done Blu but not for two years, my son has never done it, it's a bit of a surprise for him.

Sometimes I wish my roommate was imaginary. - ha ha.:p

Ja ja ja ja , I don't mind paying a supplement just not 100%. 50% or less would be fair. I am getting a room to myself

I guess we may be the odd ones on this thread. We always leave extra tips ($1.00 per drink) in cash every time we have a coffee drink or cocktail. It doesn't matter which venue we're in,(Michael'sClub or Il Bacio). We appreciate the good service. As Americans, maybe we go a bit overboard, but that's how we think. JMHO...

But you're already paying an additional 18% as the tip. If you order a drink with a menu price of $10, your account gets charged $11.80. If you leave an additional dollar, you've just left $2.80 for a $10 drink or a 28% tip. I think most people would consider that excessive and unnecessary for each and every drink.

But you're already paying an additional 18% as the tip. If you order a drink with a menu price of $10, your account gets charged $11.80. If you leave an additional dollar, you've just left $2.80 for a $10 drink or a 28% tip. I think most people would consider that excessive and unnecessary for each and every drink.

We usually have coffee drinks and cocktails gratis, so we like to leave a little extra.

I also tipped the Maitre'D, because he was so professional throughout the cruise. Came to our table every night to talk, and ask how we were enjoying ourselves. Most of the time, they only see you the last night.

Do you also offer a tip to the people you meet on your cruise at the dinner table who take the time to talk to you? How about fellow cruisers you meet at the bars. Just because someone takes the time to say hello and how is everything IMHO is not a reason to pay them.

I knew it would happen. When RCCL raised theirs effective May 1, 2016 I said Celebrity will follow. That's what happened last year when they raised them.

Are they going to raise them every year now?

I started a thread about RCI increase and could Celebrity be far behind. Nobody agreed with me and Celebrity even posted that they had no planned increase.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2334868

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Edited by oneputt18

I do the same but not $1 a drink. At the end of the evening I'll slip the bartender a couple of bucks and possibly the waiter who comes with the appetizers, if he shows up regularly. I do the same for the barrista making my Elite+ coffee or the waitress in the Elite breakfast . I don't tip extra for regular bartender service. 18% is plenty. In fact 18% is excessive. When did that become the standard?

Thin $9 million is bad. Look at NCL. $32 Million. You have to be kidding me.

I am a capitalist to the core, but greed is greed. I just heard of a professional golfer who has made $80 million in prize money over his very successful career. It is estimated that he has made twice that in endorsements. If accurate, that $240 million.

He is now caught up in an insider trading scandal which, if true, got him $1,000,000 Sick.

$32 million sounds like it should be NCL's profit for the year, not it's CEO salary

I am a capitalist to the core, but greed is greed. I just heard of a professional golfer who has made $80 million in prize money over his very successful career. It is estimated that he has made twice that in endorsements. If accurate, that $240 million.

He is now caught up in an insider trading scandal which, if true, got him $1,000,000 Sick.

$32 million sounds like it should be NCL's profit for the year, not it's CEO salary

It's been the undoing of businesses before now - these ultra massive rewards encourage those "earning" them to take unnecessary risks.

Not understanding Caladezis comments. Why so sarcastic? A person could beat these high salary issues to death. No Tom Brady isn't worth $120 plus million, Hulk Hogans lawsuit $140 million?Baseball and football players wages in the bazillions. There is no person worth being paid these kind of enormous salarys. So if you don't like the CEOs salarys I say don't cruise. When they price me out I won't go either...

I personally feel sorry for the cruise workers. From everything I've heard their salary is low and most of their salary made off tips. Granted I have no proof of this. But I guess being away from your family for 6 to 8 months would be hard.

We have talked to cruise workers and they have never ever pushed for us to tip extra. We do it if they go above and beyond what we expect.

I personally do what my conscience tells me to do. If I get crappy service I'm light on tipping or no tip but if I get outstanding service I tip extra. In February we were on Constellation. At Martini bar we got super service and we tipped well and extra. I'm not dropping a dollar every time I get a drink and didn't see anyone else doing it either. But I did drop a $20 in their tip tin every now and then. You can do what you want to. But for me if my wife and if I received excellent service and granted that's what you expect from Celebrity I will take care of the bartenders and wait staff.

i just go on the ship and enjoy myself...Happy sailing!!

Not understanding Caladezis comments. Why so sarcastic? A person could beat these high salary issues to death. No Tom Brady isn't worth $120 plus million, Hulk Hogans lawsuit $140 million?Baseball and football players wages in the bazillions. There is no person worth being paid these kind of enormous salarys. So if you don't like the CEOs salarys I say don't cruise. When they price me out I won't go either...

I personally feel sorry for the cruise workers. From everything I've heard their salary is low and most of their salary made off tips. Granted I have no proof of this. But I guess being away from your family for 6 to 8 months would be hard.

We have talked to cruise workers and they have never ever pushed for us to tip extra. We do it if they go above and beyond what we expect.

I personally do what my conscience tells me to do. If I get crappy service I'm light on tipping or no tip but if I get outstanding service I tip extra. In February we were on Constellation. At Martini bar we got super service and we tipped well and extra. I'm not dropping a dollar every time I get a drink and didn't see anyone else doing it either. But I did drop a $20 in their tip tin every now and then. You can do what you want to. But for me if my wife and if I received excellent service and granted that's what you expect from Celebrity I will take care of the bartenders and wait staff.

i just go on the ship and enjoy myself...Happy sailing!!

Well said!! (from one Pack fan to another...):D

When they got a raise is none of our business. Whatever they make is much more than they can at home. That's why they stay.Most of them seem happy. I'm not counting how they interact with cruisers, but how they interact amongst themselves.