Celebrity Cruise Gratuity Increase from 14th June 2016

MR_T

Yeap but I am sure the passengers are tipping extra also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which is fine.

Those of us who want to, will, those who do not, will not.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

I agree with this 100%. If the tips are included in the price then not only will some feel the NEED to give more but the crew will EXPECT it and forget about the fact that it was included in the fare. If won't take long before you will be considered to have "stiffed" the crew if you don't give that extra tip.

Crew are not allowed to keep tips on Regent. Any extra money given is pooled and put into an employee fund, as was explained to us. They don't expect it because it's not part of the Regent culture. Excellent service is, and that's what we received the lone time we sailed with them.

I didn't see this in the article (maybe I missed it), but if you've already booked a cruise that takes place after the increase that included free gratuities as part of 1-2-3 go or Big, Better, Best, is Celebrity still covering the increase? Or are they expecting pax to now go pre-pay the additional $.55 per day of a booked cruise?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I didn't see this in the article (maybe I missed it), but if you've already booked a cruise that takes place after the increase that included free gratuities as part of 1-2-3 go or Big, Better, Best, is Celebrity still covering the increase? Or are they expecting pax to now go pre-pay the additional $.55 per day of a booked cruise?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Celebrity pays the gratuities at the time of sailing. I just upgraded 2 days ago for a cruise in late 2017, including gratuities. They will pay the amount in effect at that time.

You are no longer required to pay up front for Select so those who had to now won't tip at all! Guess who gets the burden? How many go to the desk and have had their tips removed upon boarding?Pat

Select dining guests can't remove or adjust the gratuities once on board regardless of whether they have the daily gratuity added to the account or opt for paying up front.

At least that's the case according to the daily programme on our cruise last week

Select dining guests can't remove or adjust the gratuities once on board regardless of whether they have the daily gratuity added to the account or opt for paying up front.

At least that's the case according to the daily programme on our cruise last week

Our Murano experience was so good we added more. I don't see why you can't. Nobody will turn down extra money.

Does anyone know for sure which "extra" tips are pooled? We have been told that the cash tips we give to a crew member in Blu, Select dining, Luminae, and the bars are required to be turned in and pooled among the crew in that venue. Fact or myth?

On our most recent cruise there were 4 bartenders regularly working the Martini bar: 2 were very good, 1 was useless and the 4th was the picture of exceptional, over & above service. We gave Mr Exceptional a nice tip at the end of the cruise but am still wondering if Mr Useless got a share of the $$:rolleyes:

I have a question. We are booked on Summit for next April. We chose select, so the amount is already on the voucher. Will this amount be adjusted at final payment? Frankly, we don't mind the extra $4 each. However, we feel that the tips should not be allowed to be removed. Call them what you want. I really don't care if it is not your custom. Cruise on a line that does not add gratuities. If you sail Celebrity or RCL, factor it into your cruise fare.

I have a question. We are booked on Summit for next April. We chose select, so the amount is already on the voucher. Will this amount be adjusted at final payment? Frankly, we don't mind the extra $4 each. However, we feel that the tips should not be allowed to be removed. Call them what you want. I really don't care if it is not your custom. Cruise on a line that does not add gratuities. If you sail Celebrity or RCL, factor it into your cruise fare.

According to the article provided by the OP, the gratuities would have to be paid by the date of the change.

I think you have it confused, prepaying tips can't be removed because you pay them prior to the cruise. You can prepay whether you have Select or Traditional, it makes no difference. You can remove tips if you wish, doesn't matter your dining arrangements. It used to be if you chose Select dining you were required to Prepay but that has not been the case for a few months now.

Edited by dkjretired

I think you have it confused, prepaying tips can't be removed because you pay them prior to the cruise. You can prepay whether you have Select or Traditional, it makes no difference. You can remove tips if you wish, doesn't matter your dining arrangements. It used to be if you chose Select dining you were required to Prepay but that has not been the case for a few months now.

I'm only going on what the daily programme said last week on the Eclipse. This said that it was not possible for guests who had pre-paid tips or who were on Select Dining and who had the gratuities added to their daily account to adjust their tips whilst on board. This may well be a recent change, but change it has, unless the daily programme had it wrong.

Edited by milamber

I'm only going on what the daily programme said last week on the Eclipse. This said that it was not possible for guests who had pre-paid tips or who were on Select Dining and who had the gratuities added to their daily account to adjust their tips whilst on board. This may well be a recent change, but change it has, unless the daily programme had it wrong.

That's exactly what I said, those who prepaid tips can't remove them, it has always been that way.

That's exactly what I said, those who prepaid tips can't remove them, it has always been that way.

No, you said "You can remove tips if you wish, doesn't matter your dining arrangements".

The daily programme last week made it clear that guests who were on Select Dining could not adjust or remove their gratuities on board at all, regardless of whether they paid up front or chose to have them added to their daily account.

Worked all my life in the NHS in UK,never once had a tip,its just not done in the uk,all everyone on here says is "the crew worked hard" so did i !!!!.

The "tips" should be included in the fare,if that put's it beyond any ones reach so be it !!

Where are you getting a 12% raise for the crew? That 12% is spread out among who knows how many people.

Using the math that I learned, unless they change the payout percentage per employee, it is still a 12% raise.

Given the price of a cruise, I don't care about the gratuity cost.

Walt: Only 187 days left

Edited by neverbeenhere

They have to do gratuities as a charge per day for everyone because some people would find some reason to not leave a gratuity at all and these hard working souls would get nothing because from we've heard cruise line workers are very underpaid. I have no problem paying another 55 cents a day...I know it gets to be principle but come on an extra $8.00 on a cruise won't make or break anyone. They work tirelessly for what they get.

As I read the announcement, it looks like the increase is about 55 cents per day. On a 14 day cruise that means you will have to pay an additional $8 per person. Maybe I am in the minority but for the hardworking staff an extra 55 cents per day seems like a bargain. And why wouldn't they expect to get a raise every year. If you are still working, don't you expect it? Maybe, you don't get that yearly salary adjustment but you expect it none the less.

If I choose to continue to cruise, then I am prepared to pay the cruise fare as well as pay for any additional features that I may want.

Barry

That's 8$ for you + 8$ for the other person in your cabin X staterooms. That make for a big increase. If you read RCCI annual report (100 pages +), you will see gratuity mentioned 0 time. The gratuity you pay is included in the general revenue.

Worked all my life in the NHS in UK,never once had a tip,its just not done in the uk,all everyone on here says is "the crew worked hard" so did i !!!!.

The "tips" should be included in the fare,if that put's it beyond any ones reach so be it !!

I love traveling in Great Britain and other countries where they don't tip. I save alot of money because I don't have to tip anyone. But when they travel in countries where tipping is expected, or on a North American cruiseline, then they should be willing to tip appropriately.

I love traveling in Great Britain and other countries where they don't tip. I save alot of money because I don't have to tip anyone. But when they travel in countries where tipping is expected, or on a North American cruiseline, then they should be willing to tip appropriately.

Not even in bars? I went to fish and chips back in 1979 the locals told me that 10% was appropriate.

Here in Spain it's a round up. Not even close to a percentage. Also it n most places the food prices are post tax.

Unlike the US where it's taxes and tipped to death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk