Brand of Champagne in suites on Dawn

KayM8812

We had Moet waiting in an iced bucket waiting in our suite. Didn't know about it until we got there. GF liked it. I didn't care one way or the other.

We found exactly that in our suite on the second day. It turned out that family had ordered it as a gift but there was no note. We were assuming it was a random treat from the ship until they actually mentioned it.

• 4 weeks later...

The current champagne on the Dawn in the suites is Cava Pere Venturea Tresor Reserve. THere is a $40 upcharge to upgrade to Moet. This is firm. We were in a DOS and the butler would have UG'd us to Moet for free if he could.

We also tried to UG the 3 bottles of cheap booze to three bottles of MaCallan. The u]proposed upcharge for that was $80 per bottle. He brought out a matrix for all alcohol upgrades which basically had three "buckets: $40 (Stoli, Russian Standard, maybe Chivas, etc.), $60 and $80...I wish I had taken a pic of that matrix.

So then I proposed trading 3 bottles of cheap booze and 1 bottle of Cava "champagne" for 2 bottles of MaCallan Select Oak.

After two days of back and forth, I was offered a trade of the 3 free bottles for 2 bottles of MaCallan Select Oak for $33 total (1 litre bottles), which I accepted...drank part of the first bottle in the cabin (despite having the UBP), and brought the second bottle home. Case closed.

The current champagne on the Dawn in the suites is Cava Pere Venturea Tresor Reserve. THere is a $40 upcharge to upgrade to Moet. This is firm. We were in a DOS and the butler would have UG'd us to Moet for free if he could.

We also tried to UG the 3 bottles of cheap booze to three bottles of MaCallan. The u]proposed upcharge for that was $80 per bottle. He brought out a matrix for all alcohol upgrades which basically had three "buckets: $40 (Stoli, Russian Standard, maybe Chivas, etc.), $60 and $80...I wish I had taken a pic of that matrix.

So then I proposed trading 3 bottles of cheap booze and 1 bottle of Cava "champagne" for 2 bottles of MaCallan Select Oak.

After two days of back and forth, I was offered a trade of the 3 free bottles for 2 bottles of MaCallan Select Oak for $33 total (1 litre bottles), which I accepted...drank part of the first bottle in the cabin (despite having the UBP), and brought the second bottle home. Case closed.

Thanks for the update. Not a champagne expert, but looks like NCL slid in another downgrade.

Anyone else out there with OS/DOS/GV experience?

We were in the DOS on the Gem and the champagne was Moet & Chandon Vintage Brute, $40 a bottle on line. When we received our "request" list for the 3 bottles of liquor, we didn't like the scotch listed and asked for a bottle of Chivas. That was waiting for us when we got to the cabin. My husband didn't like the Vodka and that was changed also. No added fee.

We were in the DOS on the Gem and the champagne was Moet & Chandon Vintage Brute, $40 a bottle on line. When we received our "request" list for the 3 bottles of liquor, we didn't like the scotch listed and asked for a bottle of Chivas. That was waiting for us when we got to the cabin. My husband didn't like the Vodka and that was changed also. No added fee.

What I reported was the experience from the Dawn in a DOS last week. Given the vagueries of ppls experiences, I was surprised to see a print out for each of the UG options with the various categories I referenced.

What I reported was the experience from the Dawn in a DOS last week. Given the vagueries of ppls experiences, I was surprised to see a print out for each of the UG options with the various categories I referenced.

Are you saying that you got Cava Pere Venturea Tresor Reserve in the DOS and they wanted $40 extra for Champagne?

I just checked ncl.eu and it still says that the DOS shall get Champagne, not Cava.

Are you saying that you got Cava Pere Venturea Tresor Reserve in the DOS and they wanted $40 extra for Champagne?

I just checked ncl.eu and it still says that the DOS shall get Champagne, not Cava.

Yes, I thought it was still champagne for DOS+ and Duc d'Awful for everyone else to pour away, find an unsuspecting victim to present to, leave in ice bucket for 7 days, leave in fridge on the way out as a parting gift to the next victim.

I think the $40 upgrade from sparking wine would be a great deal if the other suites were to get it. Putting a $25 value on a $2 bottle.

Yes. Exactly.

Yes. Exactly.

Did you care about that? If yes, did you asked about it? If you asked, what did they say?

I should not accept it. If it's changed not much to do but since their website still say that it shall be Champagne can they really say no if someone asks for real Champagne?

Did you care about that? If yes, did you asked about it? If you asked, what did they say?

I should not accept it. If it's changed not much to do but since their website still say that it shall be Champagne can they really say no if someone asks for real Champagne?

It wasn't really negotiable. The Butler originally thought he would be able to exchange the Cava for Moet and then came back with the printed upgrade sheet. I was more focused on the scotch and told him he could take all three bottles of booze and the Cava for two bottles of MaCallan. Ultimately, two days later, I got my two bottles for $33 and they left the Cava. I didn't push it at that point.

but since their website still say that it shall be Champagne can they really say no if someone asks for real Champagne?

I have an interest in Champagne and know something about it.

Champagne only comes from certain designated vineyards within the Champagne region of Northern France, and can only be made from six grape varieties grown in those vineyards. The most common are chardonnay, pinot noir and pinot meunier. The wine must be produced in the traditional methode champenoise.

Champagne is an appellation controlée which means that wines not produced under the circumstances above cannot be called "Champagne".

Throughout the world the Champagne industry has been tenacious in enforcing by law the protection of their brand, the only exception being the USA, where anyone can still call their sparkling wine "Champagne".

When I asked one of the bosses of the Champagne industry in France why there had not been legal actions in the US I was told "even we can't afford to fight those American lawyers!"

So what you get in your cabin is usually what I call sham-pagne, the worst of which is the lamentable Pol Aimée which appears in my room whenever I sail with Cunard. I always give it away.....

Edited by Bollinge

I have an interest in Champagne and know something about it.

Champagne only comes from certain designated vineyards within the Champagne region of Northern France, and can only be made from six grape varieties grown in those vineyards. The most common are chardonnay, pinot noir and pinot meunier. The wine must be produced in the traditional methode champenoise.

Champagne is an appellation controlée which means that wines not produced under the circumstances above cannot be called "Champagne".

Throughout the world the Champagne industry has been tenacious in enforcing by law the protection of their brand, the only exception being the USA, where anyone can still call their sparkling wine "Champagne".

When I asked one of the bosses of the Champagne industry in France why there had not been legal actions in the US I was told "even we can't afford to fight those American lawyers!"

So what you get in your cabin is usually what I call sham-pagne, the worst of which is the lamentable Pol Aimée which appears in my room whenever I sail with Cunard. I always give it away.....

As someone with Champagne for my last name, I enjoyed reading your post. :-)

I know the difference between champagne and sparkling wine and frankly prefer Shramsberg, which they also have, to some lesser champagnes. Perhaps this was a one off case or perhaps this is a new policy. I don't know. The Butler thought he would be able to switch to Moet but it's not his call and he was denied and came back with the printed upgrade list. I didn't care that much. I actually took home my bottle of Cava because I live so close and had room in my suitcase and will use it for mimosas one day (maybe).

I have an interest too and know rather much about it.

The thing is that NCL say that the GV, DOS and OS shall get a bottle of Champagne and the other suites shall get sparkling wine so NCL have told their customers what they should get.

I really can't see how NCL can refuse anyone in a GV, DOS or OS real Champagne when they say, online and in brochures, that they shall get that.

It wasn't really negotiable. The Butler originally thought he would be able to exchange the Cava for Moet and then came back with the printed upgrade sheet. I was more focused on the scotch and told him he could take all three bottles of booze and the Cava for two bottles of MaCallan. Ultimately, two days later, I got my two bottles for $33 and they left the Cava. I didn't push it at that point.

I agree that it wasn't negotiable, they should just have given you what you had paid for!

For you it was probably better to get the scotch you wanted and pay some extra money for it.

I should have pushed it but that's only because Champagne is important for me and I understand that some people don't care as much about that as I do.

If I ever book a GV, DOS or OS I will remember to bring all documentation I may need to get what I have paid for, unless the policy is changed and the Champagne is gone.

I agree that it wasn't negotiable, they should just have given you what you had paid for!

For you it was probably better to get the scotch you wanted and pay some extra money for it.

I should have pushed it but that's only because Champagne is important for me and I understand that some people don't care as much about that as I do.

If I ever book a GV, DOS or OS I will remember to bring all documentation I may need to get what I have paid for, unless the policy is changed and the Champagne is gone.

Agree.