Question about Skagway

sclitlady

We are planning a cruise on the Norwegian Star for July 2006. We arrive in Skagway at 7am and are in port until 8pm. Would it be possible to take a helicopter glacier tour at 9:15 and still have time to do the drive into the Yukon? We are having a difficult time planning the excursions we want. We wanted to do both the Captain Larry's tour and the Coastal Helicopter tour while in Juneau but Coastal told us we did not have enough time to do both. (We don't get into Juneau until 2pm so we could only take the 3:30 Captain Larry's trip). Anyway, we really wanted to do a whale watch and a glacier landing while in Alaska. Yukon's roadtrip guide really made me want to take the drive into the Yukon. Unfortunately, we don't seem to have the time to do everything we want to do. Does anyone have any suggestions. We have never been on a cruise before nor have we visited Alaska. There will be 3 adults and 2 teenaged boys. I would appreciate any advice I can get. Thanks you!

13 hours in Skagway gives you ample time to do a morning glacier flight and then drive to Emerald Lake. I'd pick up the rental car before the flight and let it sit just to ensure that they don't give it away. Not getting into Juneau until 2 p.m. certainly limits your options there in a major way, though.

Murray

We are in Juneau from 2-10. The only Orca trip we can take is the 3:30 one. They said to allow 3 hours which gets us back at 6:30. Coastal said they pick up their last tour at 5:15. This just doesn't give me enough time to do both. That's why I thought we could do Captain Larry's in Juneau and the helicopter trip in Skagway.

When in july, we are going July 9. We want to do Larrys whale watching also. But we want to do Mendenhall Glacier also. If it gets back at 6:30 will it be to late to go to Mendenhall Glacier? Does anyone know how late the bus takes you or how late Mendenhall Visitor Center/Area stays open? When does it get dark? Thanks for any info.

We were on the Carnival Spirit Sept 9 at Juneau 2-11pm. Captain Larry arranged for the Coastal helicopter tour before our whalewatching with them.There was only the 3:30 whalewatching tour available. Because I had booked in Feb for our Sept tours and the only one booked at that time, she was able to move the whalewatching tour back 15 mins. If there is another tour after the 3:30, she might not be able to do that.

When in july, we are going July 9. We want to do Larrys whale watching also. But we want to do Mendenhall Glacier also. If it gets back at 6:30 will it be to late to go to Mendenhall Glacier? Does anyone know how late the bus takes you or how late Mendenhall Visitor Center/Area stays open? When does it get dark? Thanks for any info.

The Mendenhall visitor center closes around 6pm and shuttle stop running by 7pm, so I would say it probably won't be the best option.

In the past, Orca Enterprises has run a 6:30pm whale watching, in July that should be available??

We were on the Carnival Spirit Sept 9 at Juneau 2-11pm. Captain Larry arranged for the Coastal helicopter tour before our whalewatching with them.There was only the 3:30 whalewatching tour available. Because I had booked in Feb for our Sept tours and the only one booked at that time, she was able to move the whalewatching tour back 15 mins. If there is another tour after the 3:30, she might not be able to do that.

You are out of daylight in Sept. this isn't the case in July, they have in the past run 6:30pm whale watches.

13 hours in Skagway gives you ample time to do a morning glacier flight and then drive to Emerald Lake. I'd pick up the rental car before the flight and let it sit just to ensure that they don't give it away. Not getting into Juneau until 2 p.m. certainly limits your options there in a major way, though.

Murray

As Murray already states, plenty of time, but I would drive to TEMSCO then leave right after. In fact, both cruises I was on this year used that dock and I parked in TEMSCO's spots and got my laundry off the ship and returned, very convenient. :)

We are planning a cruise on the Norwegian Star for July 2006. We arrive in Skagway at 7am and are in port until 8pm. Would it be possible to take a helicopter glacier tour at 9:15 and still have time to do the drive into the Yukon? We are having a difficult time planning the excursions we want. We wanted to do both the Captain Larry's tour and the Coastal Helicopter tour while in Juneau but Coastal told us we did not have enough time to do both. (We don't get into Juneau until 2pm so we could only take the 3:30 Captain Larry's trip). Anyway, we really wanted to do a whale watch and a glacier landing while in Alaska. Yukon's roadtrip guide really made me want to take the drive into the Yukon. Unfortunately, we don't seem to have the time to do everything we want to do. Does anyone have any suggestions. We have never been on a cruise before nor have we visited Alaska. There will be 3 adults and 2 teenaged boys. I would appreciate any advice I can get. Thanks you!

This summer the NCL Star was scheduled to dock in Juneau at 2:00 but on most, if not all cruises, she actually arrived in Juneau at noon, tendered until the NCL Spirit left her berth around 2:00, then docked in her place.

It would be nice if they know the Star will be in Juneau at noon, that they would change the itinerary schedule to show this. I know it was printed in the Daily.

Archived