Carnival Cruise Line Insurance Question

PatchesJ72

I apologize if this should be posted elsewhere or if this has already been asked. I don’t need medical insurance as I have an excellent medical travel insurance plan with work. Normally we don’t buy extra insurance because we don’t see the need. We usually cruise in the spring. This year is the latest we have ever cruised, and we are cruising in September/October. I understand that this is hurricane season in the Caribbean. If Carnival cancels the cruise due to a hurricane, do I need insurance to cover that, or would it automatically be refunded/covered? Also if we need the additional insurance, would just adding that insurance to the first trip be enough, or should we add it to all three? (Were doing B2B2B).

Thanks in advance for your help.

I apologize if this should be posted elsewhere or if this has already been asked. I don’t need medical insurance as I have an excellent medical travel insurance plan with work. Normally we don’t buy extra insurance because we don’t see the need. We usually cruise in the spring. This year is the latest we have ever cruised, and we are cruising in September/October. I understand that this is hurricane season in the Caribbean. If Carnival cancels the cruise due to a hurricane, do I need insurance to cover that, or would it automatically be refunded/covered? Also if we need the additional insurance, would just adding that insurance to the first trip be enough, or should we add it to all three? (Were doing B2B2B).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Generally, cruise lines do not cancel cruises because of hurricanes. They may sail an alternate route or change up the itinerary if one is threatening but they don't generally cancel. In the highly unlikely event they DID cancel your cruise, they would automatically refund your money. You wouldnt need to file a claim for that.

I would definitely buy it for all three cruises as I believe they are treated as separate cruises and you would not be covered for the other two cruises if you only bought it for the first one Im pretty sure

Edited by ryano

I don't recall ever hearing a cruise cancelled because of a hurricane.

They might move departure date up. or back, or maybe even change embarkation port, but cancel??,, not in my memory.

Now, lets say the a hurricane is coming or has come and you want to cancel just because of the nightmare to get there,,, and you have insurance. The only way insurance will reimburse you for anything is if your house is deemed uninhabitable.

If your buy 3rd party insurance it cost less and you would buy one policy based on the the length and cost of your trip including flights/drives and hotels before and after your cruise.

If your travel insurance from work covers the cost of getting you home as well as medical coverage you may be able to reduce that coverage down in the 3rd party insurance so you wouldn't need to pay much. We pay about $80 per person for full coverage.

I don't recall ever hearing a cruise cancelled because of a hurricane.

They might move departure date up. or back, or maybe even change embarkation port, but cancel??,, not in my memory.

Now, lets say the a hurricane is coming or has come and you want to cancel just because of the nightmare to get there,,, and you have insurance. The only way insurance will reimburse you for anything is if your house is deemed uninhabitable.

Thanks for your help. I'm in Canada not anywhere near a hurricane zone. Just wondered if we needed to buy insurance in the event of cancellation on the cruise line's end...we see no reason why we would need to cancel.

If Carnival cancels the cruise due to a hurricane, then they may reimburse your cruise fare but it's not a given. They do not have to. You would also be out any airfare and other expenses you incurred. I would highly recommend insurance through a third party. InsureMyTrip is a great place to start.

Edited by firemanbobswife

If Carnival cancels the cruise due to a hurricane, then they may reimburse your cruise fare but it's not a given. They do not have to. You would also be out any airfare and other expenses you incurred. I would highly recommend insurance through a third party. InsureMyTrip is a great place to start.

Thanks for your reply. I guess my question is would that be covered by buying Carnival's insurance or would I have to try to find insurance elsewhere?

Thanks again.

Thanks for your reply. I guess my question is would that be covered by buying Carnival's insurance or would I have to try to find insurance elsewhere?

Thanks again.

Here is a link to Carnival's policy. I always go third party because of cost and better coverage. I know you say you have insurance for medical and such, but oftentimes it doesn't cover Medical Evacuation. Even if it does, you may find that 3rd party insurance offers better coverage than what you have and is almost always better than what Carnival has and at a better price. Hope this helps.

http://www.carnival.com/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/vacation-protection-201205pdf.ashx

If you have to cancel due to illness or death of a family member, most 3rd party insurance covers. It's cheap, and well worth it. Less than $100 for my family of 4 on a 7 day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by loganvillemommy

Thanks for your help. I'm in Canada not anywhere near a hurricane zone. Just wondered if we needed to buy insurance in the event of cancellation on the cruise line's end...we see no reason why we would need to cancel.

Does the insurance you have from work cover emergency evacuation in case of illness or injury? You may be able to just buy a rider for the evacuation part of the insurance.

Thanks again.

THird party insurance is much cheaper. And in my opinion, better coverage.

If you have to cancel due to illness or death of a family member, most 3rd party insurance covers. It's cheap, and well worth it. Less than $100 for my family of 4 on a 7 day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Your cost quote is a little misleading.....outside trip insurance coverage costs are dependent on age, cost of trip and length of trip as well as "what" you are covering. We are in our 60's and for 2 of us for 7 days we pay substantially MORE than $100....more like triple that amount....but we don't travel without it!

To the OP, you need to research the options and coverages and what you want covered....the prices vary greatly depending on "primary" (meaning that the trip insurance pays a claim FIRST) and "secondary" (meaning your own insurance covers first, then the trip insurance kicks in) coverage as well as noting WHAT is covered in each policy.

People keep throwing the term 3rd party out there. ALL cruise line insurance is 3rd party as its underwritten by a 3rd party company and only sold through the cruise line. Yes, there is better coverage out there for sure. No it's not always cheaper though. Most others are based on age and other factors. Most cruiseline coverage is based on the price of the cruise and generally have lower limits. Most cruiseline insurance is also secondary coverage as well.

There was a remark made yesterday that if you have Carnival insurance and they went bankrupt you are out of luck. Lol that couldn't be any further from the truth. Carnival is not the insurer.

Edited by ryano

Carnival cancelled two cruises in September 2008 due to damage from Hurricane Ike. Not necessarily due to the hurricane itself but from all the debris in the shipping channel. They gave full refunds.

so what about injuries while on a cruise? My parents just had a friend that tripped while getting out of a cab in Sicily. He broke his Hip and his Shoulder as well as hit his head. He was taken to the hospital and was kept there for over a week and a half, had surgery on hip and then flown back to Texas with a dr. and taken to the hospital upon landing. My mom said that he did have the Carnival insurance and it was her understanding that they will pick up all the costs. Of course their friend has to pay upfront but that carnival is going to reimburse them the cost...Is this right? I have never gotten the insurance but am about to for our Cruise in September. I am learning a lot thru this thread so thank you all for the replies

Scott

so what about injuries while on a cruise? My parents just had a friend that tripped while getting out of a cab in Sicily. He broke his Hip and his Shoulder as well as hit his head. He was taken to the hospital and was kept there for over a week and a half, had surgery on hip and then flown back to Texas with a dr. and taken to the hospital upon landing. My mom said that he did have the Carnival insurance and it was her understanding that they will pick up all the costs. Of course their friend has to pay upfront but that carnival is going to reimburse them the cost...Is this right? I have never gotten the insurance but am about to for our Cruise in September. I am learning a lot thru this thread so thank you all for the replies

Scott

Sounds correct to me. One of the main reasons people buy travel insurance is because medicare and some private health insurance plans will not cover you out of country if you are hurt or a medical condition happens. Some plans just have a lot more medical coverage than what the cruise line plan offers is all.

Scott

Carnival's medical limit is pretty low. They will only cover up to the maximum. The rest will be the responsibility of the guest. That's why I don't buy my insurance through Carnival. Other companies have much better coverage.

Carnival's medical limit is pretty low. They will only cover up to the maximum. The rest will be the responsibility of the guest. That's why I don't buy my insurance through Carnival. Other companies have much better coverage.

Agreed. The only good thing about that is, medical costs in most other countries arent near as high as they are here in the US. Now one might also argue the care isnt near as good either though depending on where you are when hurt.

I think Carnival insurance medical limit is 10 grand. Not a lot of coverage at all.

Edited by ryano

Agreed. The only good thing about that is, medical costs in most other countries arent near as high as they are here in the US. Now one might also argue the care isnt near as good either though depending on where you are when hurt.

I think Carnival insurance medical limit is 10 grand. Not a lot of coverage at all.

Agree on all points.

Thank you so much for the reply.. Can I ask you what insurance you suggest? Sorry I haven't ever bought travel insurance so looking for ideas

Scott

Thank you so much for the reply.. Can I ask you what insurance you suggest? Sorry I haven't ever bought travel insurance so looking for ideas

Scott

I like Nationwide Choice or Luxury cruise plan. You don't have to purchase it until Final Payment Date as opposed to within a certain timeframe of putting your deposit down. We have also used TravelGuard when the kids were small because they were included at no additional cost.

But check out InsureMyTrip and compare the above policies side by side to see what works best for you.

I like Nationwide Choice or Luxury cruise plan. You don't have to purchase it until Final Payment Date as opposed to within a certain timeframe of putting your deposit down. We have also used TravelGuard when the kids were small because they were included at no additional cost.

But check out InsureMyTrip and compare the above policies side by side to see what works best for you.

you have been very helpful...THANK YOU its much appreciated

Scott

I like Nationwide Choice or Luxury cruise plan. .

That is the exact plan I bought for my last cruise. Great coverage and affordable rates. Thankfully I cant comment on how easy they are to deal with though when filing claims :)