Panama Canal

Have a contract for six months, so January to February is the timeline for a Panama Canal cruise. I'd appreciate any personal experiences , and recommendations for port excursions, etc. Many thanks.

Marilyn

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Which type of canal cruise are you taking?

Partial -- where you go through Gatun Locks and back out to the Caribbean? -- take a tour that goes to the Pacific side. We did the train ride.

Full transit? -- there are no tours as you enter on the Caribbean and continue to the Pacific.

Which type of canal cruise are you taking?

Partial -- where you go through Gatun Locks and back out to the Caribbean? -- take a tour that goes to the Pacific side. We did the train ride.

Full transit? -- there are no tours as you enter on the Caribbean and continue to the Pacific.

We will take the complete transit. So, we can perfectly enjoy the ship, u til,we are in the Pacific side.,then?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you are interested in seeing some of Panama besides the transits, then you need to look for a cruise that offers a full day port call in Panama in addition to your transit. HAL was one of the first to offer this option, however of late they don't seem to make it available very often. Princess offers a 2 day Canal experience which is a stop on the Pacific side... a tendered port available on select cruises. Meanwhile Celebrity offers a port call on Colon (docked) on most of their Canal transits.

Have a contract for six months, so January to February is the timeline for a Panama Canal cruise. I'd appreciate any personal experiences , and recommendations for port excursions, etc. Many thanks.

Marilyn

We took a cruise on the Zuiderdam from Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale two years ago and the ship stopped at Panama City.

If you are going to take a tour around Panama City on the HOHO bus, do not get off!

The buses are far and in between!

We hopped off to see the Miraflores locks (nice museum there) but one had to wait around an hour+ for another bus to come by - we eventually took a taxi to the Old City and another taxi to get back to the starting point - there is a shuttle bus from the ship to the terminal where you would board the HOHO bus.