Live from the Epic

KeithJenner

Thanks so much Keith! We leave in under 3 weeks and this report only added to my excitement :)

Do you happen to know/remember how much the iConcierge was? It seems like there have been price fluctuations on the cruises in the Caribbean and I wondered how much it will be for us.

IConcierge was $9.99 per person for the messaging, calling etc.

Thanks for posting all this information. I'm headed on this same cruise in August, so this review was incredibly helpful. However, I do have a "cruise newbie" question for any person who can answer. How long after the ship docks can we expect to disembark? I ask for the purpose of planning outside shore excursions. For example, if we dock at 7:00 am in Livorno, is meeting an operator at 8:00 am pushing it?

Thanks in advance!

You will be able to leave the ship very soon after the stated docking time, maybe even before it. Unless there is some problem then meeting at 8am after a 7am docking would be fine.

However, Livorno has its own specific issue. I assume that you will be meeting your tour operator at the ship, in which case you will be fine. If you are meeting them elsewhere (i.e. at the Town Square) then it may be an issue getting there in time due to needing the shuttle bus. It should still be OK, but it's not as easy.

You will be able to leave the ship very soon after the stated docking time, maybe even before it. Unless there is some problem then meeting at 8am after a 7am docking would be fine.

However, Livorno has its own specific issue. I assume that you will be meeting your tour operator at the ship, in which case you will be fine. If you are meeting them elsewhere (i.e. at the Town Square) then it may be an issue getting there in time due to needing the shuttle bus. It should still be OK, but it's not as easy.

Just knowing this is helpful! I've been hesitant to book certain tours in fear of not being able to leave the ship by a specific time. So thanks for the info!

Just knowing this is helpful! I've been hesitant to book certain tours in fear of not being able to leave the ship by a specific time. So thanks for the info!

We just did this cruise and we booked a 4 port special for Naples, Rome, Florence and Barcelona and booked through smartcruisetours dot com and the tour guide always met us soon as we walked off the ship around 8am. Never an issue. Plus saved a ton of money and it was a great tour!

Is it not advisable to bring a backpack while on excursions because they won't be allowed in museums and historical sights?

This is supposed to be (at least) the Italian view, but I was unaware of it prior to our visit to Herculaneum. I had a small, soft, foldable backpack that I questioned with the guy selling the tickets, but he said it was fine. They did have lockers there to put your stuff in but I'm not sure every site is so well equipped. I didn't see any lockers at Pisa for example but, by this point, I had learned my lesson and left my backpack on the ship anyway.

I wonder how this weeks cruisers got on in Marseilles.

I am concerned about Marseille. We set sail on Sunday 25th and I believe we are in port the day after the Quarter Final in Marseille. Depending who that match is between we may not even get off board.

Not interested in mingling with Russian yobs or England yobs for that matter.

I am concerned about Marseille. We set sail on Sunday 25th and I believe we are in port the day after the Quarter Final in Marseille. Depending who that match is between we may not even get off board.

Not interested in mingling with Russian yobs or England yobs for that matter.

Some other ships, such as Harmony of the Seas missed Marseille completely this week and had longer stay in the previous port and then a sea day!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Some other ships, such as Harmony of the Seas missed Marseille completely this week and had longer stay in the previous port and then a sea day!

Sounds sensible. I think I would favour that right at this time.

I used to chat to you on the Ocean Village forums. Was fun but I do prefer NCL.

What's going on in Mardseille? We Weill be on this cruise in the beginning of July so I concerned now!

What's going on in Mardseille? We Weill be on this cruise in the beginning of July so I concerned now!

Two things. One the football violence and two French Strikes. Lots of French workers from air traffic control to port authorities have been striking in recent weeks over new government propositions...

There is a Euro semi-final in Marseille on 7th July and the tournament ends with the final in Paris on 10th July.

We have just returned from Epic cruise that docked in Marseille on the day of the violence. The threat was well documented in UK press in advance so we chose to stay on board which was a pity as it was the only port we hadn't visited before but we took the view as regular cruisers that we would probably re-visit in future when better placed to enjoy what the city and region had to offer.

We spoke to people who had gone ashore oblivious to the likely troubles and had gone early but did experience the beginnings of crowds and police massing as they were ready to head back to the ship.

It seems to depend which countries will be playing as to whether or not there will be a threat of further violence. Anything involving Russia or England could have the potential for trouble whereas fans of other countries seem quite content to mix with each other and have a good time without drinking themselves into oblivion or looking for trouble.

I will post a review of our cruise shortly.

Del.

There is a Euro semi-final in Marseille on 7th July and the tournament ends with the final in Paris on 10th July.

We have just returned from Epic cruise that docked in Marseille on the day of the violence. The threat was well documented in UK press in advance so we chose to stay on board which was a pity as it was the only port we hadn't visited before but we took the view as regular cruisers that we would probably re-visit in future when better placed to enjoy what the city and region had to offer.

We spoke to people who had gone ashore oblivious to the likely troubles and had gone early but did experience the beginnings of crowds and police massing as they were ready to head back to the ship.

It seems to depend which countries will be playing as to whether or not there will be a threat of further violence. Anything involving Russia or England could have the potential for trouble whereas fans of other countries seem quite content to mix with each other and have a good time without drinking themselves into oblivion or looking for trouble.

Del.

Wow, ok. We are scheduled to be there on July 9th! We have 2 small children so those volitile crowds are definitely something I wish to avoid. We booked the ship excursion to Aix just to utilize the busses and explore the area on our own for a couple hours. As sad as I would be to miss it, I'd rather stay on board!

Wow, ok. We are scheduled to be there on July 9th! We have 2 small children so those volitile crowds are definitely something I wish to avoid. We booked the ship excursion to Aix just to utilize the busses and explore the area on our own for a couple hours. As sad as I would be to miss it, I'd rather stay on board!

The tournament finishes on the 10th and so the games in Marseille finish a while before so most of the fans and thugs would have long gone!

Hi Dramamamahil,

The football match will be 2 days before you are due in Marseille so I imagine things will be much quieter and much safer then. I would keep my options open if I were you and not immediately imagine there will be any problems as those generally happen on days before matches and on the day itself. As I said, most fans from all other countries are generally mixing well together to create a carnival atmosphere and not behaving badly.

Del.

Hi Dramamamahil,

The football match will be 2 days before you are due in Marseille so I imagine things will be much quieter and much safer then. I would keep my options open if I were you and not immediately imagine there will be any problems as those generally happen on days before matches and on the day itself. As I said, most fans from all other countries are generally mixing well together to create a carnival atmosphere and not behaving badly.

Del.

Thank you for the info!

Del.

There was also serious trouble following the Germany/Ukraine match but that didn't get much of a mention in the UK press. Funny that :rolleyes:

Also following N. Ireland v Poland. Again not much mention of it.

Personally, I see potential trouble at any venue on match day regardless of who is playing and would avoid the areas. I woudln't restrict myself to only avoiding if certain countries are playing.

• 4 weeks later...