Live from the Epic

KeithJenner

Keith:

I know you are no longer "live from the Epic"... and I'm sorry for you that that is the case, but please indulge me one more question.

I believe that there is both a Haven Restaurant and a Haven Grill. I have the menus for the Restaurant, but I am wondering what is served at the Grill. Is it hamburgers, hot dogs and fries... or is there more? Do they have the various cookies and gummy bears that we enjoyed in the Haven on the Gem?

Basically, what is the Haven Grill all about?

Thanks!

FatherLu gave a nice review of the Haven and may be able to answer that question on his thread here.

Hi Keith from the couple from Canada who shared their Fireball with you last week. It was great getting to know you and sharing some drinks.

Maybe we'll meet on the high seas again some time!

Hi, thanks for a great night last week (what I remember of it anyway). I hope I wasn't too annoying. :)

Just a little post cruise update.

Firstly, I have the freestyle dailies sitting by my printer ready for scanning. I hope to do them sometime over the weekend and will post them when I've done it.

Since the cruise, we have been debating future holiday plans. Our son has always enjoyed his holidays, but we are aware that as he gets into his teens, he will want to spend more time with his friends rather than with us. Our next big holiday is planned for Summer 2018 when we plan to go to Hawaii, stopping off in Alaska on the way. We have decided that will probably be it for a few years after that, as our son will be 13 then. Most other big plans we have (South America, California, Asia, Panama Canal) are difficult to do with him due to school, so we will have to wait for a while to do them.

We spent a fair bit of this cruise feeling slightly as if we should be doing more than we were. That's rather odd, as it was always planned as a relaxing break. We did Disney at Easter and have the Baltics in the Summer, both of which are busy holidays, so this was planned as a real relaxing break. I'm not really sure why we found ourselves feeling a little guilty for spending the time relaxing in that case.

As I mentioned earlier, the three Italian ports are a bit of an issue to us now. This was the fifth year in a row that we have done them. Previously, I always saw that as a bonus, as we could take them easy and not feel that we had to rush round. On this cruise though, we did tire of being in those ports, especially Civitavecchia and Livorno where it is actually very difficult to just wander off the ship. We made a deliberate decision to avoid them for a while.

We also have slightly mixed feelings about the Epic. It was our first ship when we returned to cruising in 2012 and we have been on it more than any other. The changes are good, but compared to the Getaway and Escape, which we have been on since our last Epic trip. my wife and I miss the waterfront and our son misses the Ropes Course.

Basically, there is nothing wrong with the Epic, but it is no longer an ideal ship for us to have a lot of ship time. Don't get me wrong, we had a great time, but on a cruise where the ports don't particularly appeal, we would rather have had the ropes, mini golf and Waterfront.

Anyway, all this waffle is a way of getting round to the point that we have decided to fit in one more Epic cruise before we calm things down, but it won't be the standard Barcelona round trip. I have today booked an October 2017 sailing from Rome to Barcelona which visits Naples, Cagliari, Malaga, Cartagena and Valencia. Of those, three are new ports and Naples and Malaga are easy ports to stroll off the ship and find something to do. It also gives us the opportunity to have a couple of days in Rome pre cruise, which really is the best way of doing that city.

We've also booked the Spirit to the Canary Islands in Easter 2018. I'm booking these so early as I have some concerns about where prices will go if the UK votes to leave the EU in a couple of weeks, so it doesn't hurt to get the bookings in for the cost of a CruiseNext voucher. I can see a Pride of America booking for Summer 2018 being made in the next couple of weeks as well.

Sorry for my ramblings. There is nothing like going on a cruise to get me planning future cruises. We aren't going to stop totally after Summer of 2018, but will probably only do one every year, or maybe two years. It's nice to have plans for some great new ports before we get to that point.

First World problems.

Anyway, all this waffle is a way of getting round to the point that we have decided to fit in one more Epic cruise before we calm things down...

Keith:

I guess the "problem" with regular cruising from the same embarkation port is that you get ship/excursion exhaustion. We have sailed and greatly enjoyed the Gem many times... we know the ship, and are aware that the newer ones have many other features the Gem doesn't have... but not having yet experienced them, we can only miss them in a theoretical way. We've repeated ports several times, and I get you on the matter of just opting to stay onboard sometimes. I feel exactly that way about San Juan. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed the port... but sometimes we only got off the boat because we felt we should after three days at sea. Despite the repetition, we've still had excellent vacations on the Gem. She will always have a place in our hearts, as she was the first cruise ship for my family.

Our next trip is on the Epic, which will be a whole new experience for us. It has a full Haven, which is a contrast to the Gem; but it also has many more families in the space... so it will be a new experience for us. Also, all new ports except GSC. Perhaps not the same recreational features, but the slides and shows will be all new to us.

Thank you so much for your very thorough answering of questions throughout your cruise. I already feel a familiarity with an all new ship to us!

There is nothing like going on a cruise to get me planning future cruises.

Truer words were never spoken!

I appreciate your feelings about doing more than you were, as I come off of every TA feeling similarly. In my case, I keep thinking I need to emphasize land trips over cruises a little bit more since the TA's that I prefer eat up too much of my paid time off on just relaxing at sea. It's FOMO on some place spectacular on land while I'm just lounging about on a cruise, I think. Silly.

I've had 2 wonderful trips to California including one just last year, so I'm happy to offer any advice when you're ready to plan.

I also don't see where you penciled in a date for a future PNC Park trip! Perhaps Robert will develop an appreciation for baseball and you can do a classic ballpark tour across the states. You're wise to plan on him protesting the long family vacations as a teen, but, he just might surprise you and want them, too. Don't rule it out!

Thanks for this thread Keith! I love the Epic and have sailed the most days of all on her, but, I'm opting for the Harmony TA this October and the Getaway TA in October 2017 at present.

Kim

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

Hi

Anyone know if the Euro 2016 football championship will be shown onboard somewhere? We depart tomorrow and it's the first time my county (N. Ireland) have qualified and would want to miss the games.

Thanks

Russ

Hi

Anyone know if the Euro 2016 football championship will be shown onboard somewhere? We depart tomorrow and it's the first time my county (N. Ireland) have qualified and would want to miss the games.

Thanks

Russ

Not sure I'm afraid. You may be better off asking on a new thread.

There is sometimes football on the TVs, but I think it's recorded (I have no interest so can't say for sure). NCL do often show big events, for example Rugby World Cup games were shown when that was on, so it's possible.

We just got off the epic today around 9am. Yes they had the games on in the sports bar and also avail I. Your stateroom. It was listed on the daily list of activities.

As for Marseilles, well we were there sat morning which was right after the night of riots, around 2pm it started to get crazy again with all the football fans starting to heckle each other. As we were leaving 15 swat teams vans showed up. See attached pic.

Be safe. ImageUploadedByForums1465747058.982992.jpg.f4996ede0c0b188f6925eab0aa70efa6.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1465747078.041894.jpg.63a292267d321dfaf27c7c62c5c573e7.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1465747098.715057.jpg.efbcf15c2f4abd7492c017e97549d226.jpg

I don't believe we saved them. I will look when we return back to Florida.

The epic was beautiful, service was outstanding. We did however do all our excursions through another company instead of NCL and it was fantastic. Saved a ton of money and the tour was a lot better!!

I don't believe we saved them. I will look when we return back to Florida.

The epic was beautiful, service was outstanding. We did however do all our excursions through another company instead of NCL and it was fantastic. Saved a ton of money and the tour was a lot better!!

What tours did you do and what company? Unlike Keith and family, I plan to get off the ship at all the ports and explore. :D

We did a ton of tours lol. We did a full day tour in the following...

Naples- sorrento Pompeii and amalfi coast

Rome - full tour of the Vatican, Saint peters basilica, the museum at the Vatican and the sistine chapel. trevi fountain, Spanish steps/fountain, Coliseum and a bunch of other quick stops.

Florence - went to Pisa and Florence along with a quick tour of wine country

Cannes - self guided walking tour and then a taxi to Nice to tour Nice.

Marseille - no tour just walked around the shopping district and harbor.

Barcelona - full day tour seeing just about everything you can see.

All of our tours were done through smartcruisetours dot com.

I was a little nervous at first HOWEVER they were awesome. All small tours, in a new van with less then 8 people total. We could go and see more places then then the big tour buses and it was over 60 percent less then going through NCL. Very easy and we were so happy we did this vs going through NCL because it was less money but mostly because it was more like a private tour and we got to see a lot more.

This cruise was great, the epic, NCL, the food and staff were all amazing. We have cruised 50+ nights and NCL did an awesome job! Feel free to message me privately for more info or email me at dkmeyers at yahoo

We did a ton of tours lol. We did a full day tour in the following...

Naples- sorrento Pompeii and amalfi coast

Rome - full tour of the Vatican, Saint peters basilica, the museum at the Vatican and the sistine chapel. trevi fountain, Spanish steps/fountain, Coliseum and a bunch of other quick stops.

Florence - went to Pisa and Florence along with a quick tour of wine country

Cannes - self guided walking tour and then a taxi to Nice to tour Nice.

Marseille - no tour just walked around the shopping district and harbor.

Barcelona - full day tour seeing just about everything you can see.

All of our tours were done through smartcruisetours dot com.

I was a little nervous at first HOWEVER they were awesome. All small tours, in a new van with less then 8 people total. We could go and see more places then then the big tour buses and it was over 60 percent less then going through NCL. Very easy and we were so happy we did this vs going through NCL because it was less money but mostly because it was more like a private tour and we got to see a lot more.

This cruise was great, the epic, NCL, the food and staff were all amazing. We have cruised 50+ nights and NCL did an awesome job! Feel free to message me privately for more info or email me at dkmeyers at yahoo

Thanks so much! I actually have access to all the descriptions from that company because of how I booked so it's good to hear that the tours were good. It's extremely rare for me to book through the cruise line so I always check out different independent options.

Thanks!

Thanks so much Keith! We leave in under 3 weeks and this report only added to my excitement :)

Do you happen to know/remember how much the iConcierge was? It seems like there have been price fluctuations on the cruises in the Caribbean and I wondered how much it will be for us.

Thanks Keith, much appreciated! We'll be on the Epic in October with the same itinerary (and we share your view about Naples, having been there in December 2014).

Also ironically, we just came off the Star doing the Baltics as well - and we're both on the magical mystery tour on the Spirit next year.

Thanks Keith, much appreciated! We'll be on the Epic in October with the same itinerary (and we share your view about Naples, having been there in December 2014).

Also ironically, we just came off the Star doing the Baltics as well - and we're both on the magical mystery tour on the Spirit next year.

Hi Brian. I've been reading your Baltics review, so I'm pleased to be of help in return.

Look forward to meeting you on the Spirit, wherever it ends up going. :)