Sample Comparison Spreadsheets

FuelScience

I'm emailing you my spreadsheet - there are 3 tabs - comparing boats, itineraries, and a quickie on the whether or not to do the pre-cruise package in Prague (we opted to spend extra time in NUE, as did my parents, but my in-laws opted for the Avalon tour)

I certainly don't expect these are helpful for everyone. Same with packing lists or restaurant or hotel reservations. We're all different (thank goodness!) But for those who DO find them helpful, examples are great!!

I really like you spreadsheet. It does a good job of capturing a lot of the qualitative aspects that my sheet misses. Would it be OK if I converted it and post a like to it as a Google Docs sheet?

FuelScience

Please feel free to share if you think it would be of interest!

I noted some of the things that are our priorities that won't necessarily be the same for others - like a fridge for the German beers we were tasting every day:D

Here's a link to Hoyaheel's excellent spreadsheet that she created to compare Christmas Market cruises back in 2014. She did a great job and her sheet includes a lot of things that mine doesn't. Please note that there three tabs at the bottom--Boats, Itinerary, Prague. Each tab contains specific info for making a decision on her cruise.

Thanks Hoyaheel!!

FuelScience

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MzQ9LjMXH5JJBFbHvEYcMM1xZsLPCCzMHUe-3vMX9ro/edit?usp=sharing

your spreadsheet is good, but I would add a few additional items:

1. Cost of excursions (some include all some include only one per day)

2. Airport pickup and drop off charges.

3. Included hotel stays before and or after the cruise.

4. included meals on shore during the cruise.

5. Flexibility of arrival day and departure day.

For us the real determination is the itinerary followed by how a particular line has handled low and high water levels over the past.

These are good suggestions. Excursions are tough since not all the lines post optional excursions and their costs on line (Viking is an example). Also, transfers are generally included unless you do your own air fare. I would probably handle that by creating two-tab sheet where one tab would be set up for booking all travel with the cruise line, and a second tab would be the same except it would have cells for self-booked travel and transfers.

From my experience, most of the lines include all meals for cruising days, but only one meal a day for pre- and post-cruise extensions. It would be easy to include those, but it's probably a small amount.

I also like the idea of including the arrival and departure day flexibility. I'm not aware of any lines that include transfers if you come early or leave late.

Thanks for the ideas.

FuelScience

whether or not to do the pre-cruise package in Prague

Enjoyed the spreadsheet, thanks. I like the idea of Per Diem comparison.

Clarification please: On the Prague Tab - does 'Ind' show that the partner would not pay for Hotel whereas both would pay for Cruise Line Package ? At first glance you would think Ind would be a big saving but actually not so much.

Sorry - yes, Ind means independent so then (because we were couples on that trip) would be two per hotel room vs each paying the river cruise pkg price. So for one couple, the prices did come out pretty close. But if 4 or 6 of us did it independently, it was a greater savings. Plus one person had hotel points we could use and so on. And my desire to be independent. But you don't actually know the differences until you lay them all out - all the choices that matter to you, with numbers attached where possible :-)