Yukon Rail & Bus w/ Dogcart Experience

jackie101

After that excursion we rushed to the Princess excursions desk and cancelled the rest of them. We haven't taken a ship's excursion since.

It turned out to be a long, long day on a bus to a dusty "dog camp" that served cheap "barbecue" chicken. The train ride is OK ... but you can do that yourself. The bus ride was horrible.

After that excursion we rushed to the Princess excursions desk and cancelled the rest of them. We haven't taken a ship's excursion since.

It turned out to be a long, long day on a bus to a dusty "dog camp" that served cheap "barbecue" chicken. The train ride is OK ... but you can do that yourself. The bus ride was horrible.

oh no, that doesn't sound good. It is not through cruise

oh no, that doesn't sound good. It is not through cruise

We have gone with private operators since then, with very few exceptions! It was probably 80 or 90 people on the bus.

The scenery on the railroad is really magnificent, although we had patches of fog for long periods ("weather" is always present in Alaska!) I would do the train ride again in a heartbeat.

I did this a couple of weeks ago and it was my favorite experience of the trip. The bus ride and train ride each give you different perspectives. I had thought the train took the same path as the road, but it does not, so you get to see different things. We had four different bear sightings and saw several mountain goats on our bus ride, and our guide gave us a lot of interesting information.

Lunch was barbecue chicken and potato salad, nothing fancy but good. The dog sledding didn't interest me, it just looked boring.

The bus stopped at the Yukon sign, Carcross, and Emerald Lake. We had great weather and great scenery. The train ride back was even better, such gorgeous views! In all it was a really great day.

If I go back, I will probably stick to the train, but I am glad I did was able to experience the road as well.

We sailed on the Pearl and did the excursion through Dyea Dave Tours which included dog sledding is at Caribou Crossing. The dog sledding was the best part of the trip. The Emerald Lake road had construction so the driver aka owner decided to skip this portion. We did go to the Yukon where we had lunch is a little place the driver took us to which we now know to bypass and walk to another restaurant.

We also have this booked with Chilkoot this August.

We did Chilkoot Bus and Rail in 2014. The bus portion was a small vehicle, only about 8 of us and very enjoyable. Learned so much about the gold miners who had to make this arduous journey by foot. I learned nothing on the train. Our tour included no sled ride, but I believe you could purchase it on your own at the lunch stop which included a museum which I really enjoyed, a chance to play with the sled dog puppies, and you could watch some people practice for the Iditarod, all for free.

I really enjoyed the road portion of the tour, much more so than the train back. I was bored and the scenery was disappointing compared to the spectacular vistas we saw from the road. I'd never do the train again.