Land/Cruise Tours/cruise .....

Shiraz49

Hi,

Just curious as to how many 'passengers' usually take part in these land tour and then cruise option .... I know the cruise portion will have a full pax list BUT how many do the land portion first (or last).

We're on the 13th July Triple Denali departure, think the cruise portion commences around the 24th July ....... curious as to how many people we'll be travelling with on the initial "land" part of the tour.

Cheers T & M

On our "Double Denali" there were two full bus/coach loads, or about 220>240 people ... but many Cruise Tours overlap at the hotels in Fairbanks, Denali, and Anchorage, so you are seeing many more people than just your group.

Edited by jtl513

On our 19 Day Dawson/Denali Cruise Tour, there were about 43 people on our bus. Sometimes there could be more than one bus for your tour.

As jtl513 mentioned, there will be various tours underway at the hotels you stay at along the way.

On our "Double Denali" there were two full bus/coach loads, or about 220>240 people ... but many Cruise Tours overlap at the hotels in Fairbanks, Denali, and Anchorage, so you are seeing many more people than just your group.

On our Double Denali which included Fairbanks and Anchorage we had a single bus/coach full and had the same tour guide the entire land portion. It was fun getting to know some fellow cruisers before we cruised at the end of the land tour.

• 3 months later...

We were also wondering how large our group would be but now I'm confused.....We're doing a Double Denali in June but the transportation info says "Dome" train. Nowhere does it say anything about buses.

Do they use buses for one portion of the tour and train for another?

Any info would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were also wondering how large our group would be but now I'm confused.....We're doing a Double Denali in June but the transportation info says "Dome" train. Nowhere does it say anything about buses.

HAL has a lot of variations of their cruisetours. Some are train only, some are a combo. Look at the itinerary for the cruisetour you chose.

Look at the trip number on the HAL site. The days at each stop are shaded in a different color. There will be a small icon indicating the mode of transport. Most seem to have a dome train for one part, a bus for another.

Look at the trip number on the HAL site. The days at each stop are shaded in a different color. There will be a small icon indicating the mode of transport. Most seem to have a dome train for one part, a bus for another.

Thanks so much alwaysfrantic, I never noticed those symbols before, that helps a lot.

Another question if I may, we're starting the land portion after the cruise disembarking in Seward. It looks like we take a train to Anchorage but my DH would like to know if we'll be boarding the train in Seward as soon as we dock or are we given a few hours there to quickly explore the town?

I don't know the answer, but if you click on your itinerary from HAL it may have times listed on the statement. I'm sure they are subject to change, but you could get some idea by if it days train at 9 am or 1 pm or something like that. I hope someone has taken your specific tour and will chime in with an answer specific to your trip.

We did the dome train to Denali and on to Fairbanks after. Our particular tour was to fly back to Anchorage. The buses were only from the train stations to the hotels, a land tour around Fairbanks, or to the airport from the hotel. Our land tour portion ended in Anchorage then they took us by bus to the port/ship at Steward.

Edited by summersigh