Cozumel to take severe pounding

rolloman

The latest tracking of Wilma indicates the storm is bearing down on Cozumel. A class 4 borderline 5 storm that is moving extremely slow. According to our weather guessers in South Florida it will be a miracle if Cozumel does not receive catastrophic damage like we have never seen before. In light of recent storms I think that is a pretty scary statement. I have cruised several enjoyable times there and will miss it. If this port does not survive, in my opinion look for Costa Maya to be the alternative. Unfortunately Costa Maya does not have much to offer.

I've been to Cozumel twice on cruises, it is a wonderful port. I hope the people there make it through ok.

The last time we were there, we did a great dolphin discovery tour. A question that has been on my mind since Emily hit near there earlier in the season is, what do would they do with the dolphins? I guess they would have their best chance at sea than in cages? Who knows. Just something on my mind.

I've been to Cozumel twice on cruises, it is a wonderful port. I hope the people there make it through ok.

The last time we were there, we did a great dolphin discovery tour. A question that has been on my mind since Emily hit near there earlier in the season is, what do would they do with the dolphins? I guess they would have their best chance at sea than in cages? Who knows. Just something on my mind.

They probably won't let them out to sea. After all those who own the Dolphin discovery programs capture and cage wild animals to make profits off of tourists. Those dolphins have a limited lifespan in captivity. They did not care that they were caging wild animals, all they care about is their profit. If the dolphins die they will just capture and cage some more dolphins to exploit.

I too have heard the scary weather reports and have a trip planned for Cozumel end of January. I'd be lier to say that I only care about what happens to the people (which I do care about) I truely hope this storm dies down and all fair well...including the dolphins.

rolloman, I'm going to be on the same cruise as you and doing the Dolphin Excursion while I'm there. I hope the dolphins are put in a safe place. Most of the Cozumel webcams have been turned off (or power knocked them offline) so you can't see anything.

I have a friend that is Playa Del Carmen right now on a land vacation. I hope they are ok there. This is their first big trip since we met them on the Radiance a couple of years ago.

Misty

One of my employees is in PDC at an all inclusive resort with her hubby who just came back from a Navy deployment in Iraq. Quite a way to celebrate their 10th anniversary! They're a great couple so I just hope they and everyone else in that area has gotten the heck out of there.

I think I'm gonna swear off cruising the Caribbean in hurricane season...

Cheryl

I hate to say it but with a direct hit from a storm this powerful (borderline cat 5), I doubt much of that Island will be left. Use Biloxi as an example, and Katrina was only a 3 when it hit. The dolphin excursion is awesome in Cozumel. I am hopeful they had a contingency plan in place to move them inland. I can't speak for other dolphin excursions but I think the design of Cozumel provided a wonderful place for the dophins.

P.S. My thread is about the poor Island of Cozumel weathering this storm and what the cruise port alternatives will be, not about dolphin captivity.Those animal rights activist who preach every chance they get about how the dolphin excursion is a horrible deal, why dont you go after the Tuna fisherman instead, I think your energy would be better justified if you knew what happens to dolphins caught in their nets.

The eye of the hurricane is over Cozumel right now and I found a website that has a couple webcams of Cozumel that are still up and running

http://www.cozumel-hotels.net/webcam/

Looks like they shut down yesterday. I own 5 units at the Royal Caribbean in Cancun, and our webcams shut down yesterday morning. You can see that some tables had been placed in the swimming pool for protection. We are supposed to be there one week from today. I seriously doubt that anyone will be going with the conditions as they are right now. Cancun and Cozumel will take some time to rebuild, but they both will and it will be better than ever. What I feel bad about (aside from all of the trapped people, I do pray for them) is the possiblity that Tulum and ChetzenItza may also be flattened, and the chance of rebuilding those Mayan ruins may never occur.

Cozumel already saw a cat 4 this year, Emily, in July. I think Cozumel will be ok. They will recover quickly, since they exist for, and by tourism. I'd say a month from now, they'll be ok.

Here's an interesting link;

http://www.mthurricane.com/Hurricane_Emily.htm

It's true that tourism returned to the area quickly after Emily, however there were a couple of differences that will probably become important. First Emily did not directly hit Coz, it just got REALLY close (the island was not totally in the eye of the storm), and second and most importantly Emily was moving much faster. Wilma is moving very slowly, only 5 mph. Having sustained hurricane force winds directly hit and then change to the opposite direction when the opposite eyewall hits and for a much longer time will make a BIG difference.

It's true that tourism returned to the area quickly after Emily, however there were a couple of differences that will probably become important. First Emily did not directly hit Coz, it just got REALLY close, and second and most importantly Emily was moving much faster. Wilma is moving very slowly, only 5 mph. Having sustained hurricane force winds directly hit and then change to the opposite direction when the opposite eyewall hits and for a much longer time will make a BIG difference.

Yes, I know everything you pointed out. But, it's not like this is their 1st rodeo either. That was more my point. They are well prepared for these things.

It's true that tourism returned to the area quickly after Emily, however there were a couple of differences that will probably become important. First Emily did not directly hit Coz, it just got REALLY close (the island was not totally in the eye of the storm), and second and most importantly Emily was moving much faster. Wilma is moving very slowly, only 5 mph. Having sustained hurricane force winds directly hit and then change to the opposite direction when the opposite eyewall hits and for a much longer time will make a BIG difference.

I was just getting ready to post the same thing. Emily was moving much faster and was not a direct hit. Coz started feeling Wilma last night before midnight and the eye is just now over the island. Not good.

You guys are forgetting something. The major or worst winds are not dead center of the eye. usually they are off to one side or the other.

Keep thinking doomsday if you like, but I prefer not to go there. I am trying to think positive, since I was suppose to be there in the near future.

THINK POSITIVE!

You guys are forgetting something. The major or worst winds are not dead center of the eye. usually they are off to one side or the other.

Keep thinking doomsday if you like, but I prefer not to go there. I am trying to think positive, since I was suppose to be there in the near future.

THINK POSITIVE!

First of all, Cozumel started getting hurricane force winds last night before midnight. The eye is just now over the island.

As far as thinking doomsday, most of us are thinking reality. No one here is wishing for anything bad to happen to this island.

A reality check though states the obvious. I have been in 7 hurricanes, lost everything once, and sailed through one with 50 foot waves on an aircraft carrier at sea that sheared multi-million dollar jets off the flight deck. I also live in South Florida where we have constant coverage. When I see on tv they are getting the eye of a near cat 5 with a basically stalled storm, and receiving 35 foot waves. I think my past knowledge of how these storms work says the small island will not see a cruise ship for months in the future.

I, for one, was looking forward to being back on Cozumel within 2 weeks. I won't know how our unit held up in Cancun till probably Monday or Tuesday, but I have been going to Cancun since 1982, and I remember Gilbert. I am a very positive thinker, but think that we may not be leaving next Friday as planned.

Rick

THINK POSITIVE!

If thinking positve thoughts helps you then so be it. I have been a Florida resident my entire life and have lived through many hurricanes and two direct hits. I'm just being realistic. I wish Coz didn't have this storm either, it's on the itinerary of my next cruise too.

Archived