Cozumel to take severe pounding

rolloman

Looks like they shut down yesterday. I own 5 units at the Royal Caribbean in Cancun, and our webcams shut down yesterday morning. You can see that some tables had been placed in the swimming pool for protection. We are supposed to be there one week from today. I seriously doubt that anyone will be going with the conditions as they are right now. Cancun and Cozumel will take some time to rebuild, but they both will and it will be better than ever. What I feel bad about (aside from all of the trapped people, I do pray for them) is the possiblity that Tulum and ChetzenItza may also be flattened, and the chance of rebuilding those Mayan ruins may never occur.

I dont believe you know what the Mayan Ruins are. We can never "rebuild" them............ Do you know what they are????:eek:

was stating what a beuatiful blue sky he is seeing with very little wind. They asked him about the storm so far & he stated he just woke up after a very late arrival. It was raining buckets at the airport, flights were all cancelled on the boards, so he got to his hotel & fell asleep. He woke to a flashing clock radio as the power was out & now he sees the eye & as he was told by the featured newscaster, the worst is yet to come & she is dragging her shoes......... She could stick it out all night! YIKES!

20" of rain in W Cuba, Grand Caymen, 16" in Jamaica with all the mudslides. 30' waves at all........

I love Cozumel, it is a wonderful place with wonderful people, and I'm just sick to think what those people are going through. :(

I am supposed to be there on 11/5, on the 11/3 Enchantment sailing, and honestly, it matters not at ALL to me what the itinerary changes are on that sailing or where we go. I just hope that the area and the people there are somehow able to survive and rebuild.

I was just in Cozumel (Passion Island) in early September, and you could still see the effects of Emily then. This looks to be MUCH worse, and it really, really saddens me.

I dont believe you know what the Mayan Ruins are. We can never "rebuild" them............ Do you know what they are????:eek:

You want to tell me? I have only been going to Quintana Roo and the Yucatan since 1982. I have watched, over the years, the uncovering and rebuilding of many structures, in many Mayan areas. So you tell me!

Sorry to be so straight forward here, but I have pictures going back many years of the marking and replacement of stones to "rebuild" some of these areas. I was in Chichen Itza before the lightning hit the "observatory" in old Chichen, and knocked out the area that rounded the top of the building.

Maybe you know something that I don't. I have enjoyed the Mayan ruins from the northern areas to Guatamala. But, I'm not an expert.

Rick

Just so we're clear, I have lived in Florida for the past 14 years, and I do believe I know a thing or two about hurricanes also. Specifically, I live in South Florida. I went through 3 hurricanes in my area last year, and 2 this year. Wilma will be be my 3rd this year, as I am again in the path.

But I'm sure we'll all know at daybreak. I prefer to think that while there will be damage, they will recover quickly.

Just so we're clear, I have lived in Florida for the past 14 years, and I do believe I know a thing or two about hurricanes also. Specifically, I live in South Florida. I went through 3 hurricanes in my area last year, and 2 this year. Wilma will be be my 3rd this year, as I am again in the path.

But I'm sure we'll all know at daybreak. I prefer to think that while there will be damage, they will recover quickly.

You have experienced more than most of us on this thread. I have a friend that lives in Hobe Sound that has experienced some of the worst ever storms this year. Every time I hear the word "Jupiter" I shudder for them. Most hurricanes move at some moderate rate, and soon enough, although not soon enough in some States, the wind moves away, and recovery begins.

I left Cancun hours before Gilbert attacked. I have been back on an annual basis, sometimes 2 to 3 times per year before 1990. Since then only one or maybe two time per year. This is my second home, and I have stayed, riding out some of the hurricanes that just wiped out the beach, and left the town drenched.

This time is different, I now believe. If I could be of assistance, I would leave one week from this morning, as planned. A couple of weeks of relief work would do both my DW and I good.:)

Rick

They probably won't let them out to sea. After all those who own the Dolphin discovery programs capture and cage wild animals to make profits off of tourists. Those dolphins have a limited lifespan in captivity. They did not care that they were caging wild animals, all they care about is their profit. If the dolphins die they will just capture and cage some more dolphins to exploit.

Thanks for the insight, I don't care how or why the use them. I was just commenting that I hope they are ok.

As far the Mayan Ruins go, I think they should be ok. They have stood for hundreds of years, long before hurricane predictions have been made. I highly doubt this is the first major hurricane to hit that region in that time.

Thanks for the insight, I don't care how or why the use them. I was just commenting that I hope they are ok.

As far the Mayan Ruins go, I think they should be ok. They have stood for hundreds of years, long before hurricane predictions have been made. I highly doubt this is the first major hurricane to hit that region in that time.

I hope they are okay too. And all the people.

As far as the ruins, I think what the other person was saying is that what you see of most the ruins has been uncovered and restored. It takes lots of work to do that. So they sure can be damaged.

and Wilma is on vacation there. This is just incredible as they show no record of a storm staying within 100 miles for over 30 hours. I just had www.nhc.noaa.gov & she is still there. We are down to freezing this week & the cold front hasn't left so the talk of it pushing Wilma east may fall apart since it is also stable on top of the Great Lakes. A high of 50 felt like bikini weather after snow was seen last night. My BIL in Atlanta states he is getting rain from the upper band of Wilma that FLA had all day & last night. Now WC is stating she will go mid state Monday if the cold front doesn't head south by Sunday.

has been proven to withstand 300 mph winds & water, but no one does it but a few folks who were featured in Fla with their solid homes & how cool they stay in the heat, and a storm hits & the neighbors come to stay.

So the Ruins will be find as they have been for centuries, those folks knew how to build............maybe we should learn.

If thinking positve thoughts helps you then so be it. I have been a Florida resident my entire life and have lived through many hurricanes and two direct hits. I'm just being realistic. I wish Coz didn't have this storm either, it's on the itinerary of my next cruise too.

We have friends in Cancun right now. They called earlier this morning on a satalite phone to let everyone know they made it through the worst part of the hurricane. They are hold up in a ball room at the hotel they were staying in and have been in the same room since Thursday afternoon. They mentioned that the military was making some sort of plan to evacuate them sometime Monday. They said commercial aircraft will not be allowed in for some time. What a mess Mexico is in right now. My heart goes out to them.

A tip of the hat and many thanks to the MichiganCruisingCouple that posted the two live satellite pictures that has kept me abreast of what is happening in Cancun. I realize that this is a website for cruising, and normally that is my total contribution, but I also own 5 weeks of timeshares in Cancun and am supposed to head that way in 5 days. I don't think so!

Thanks again:)

Rick

Archived