Getaway Likes & Dislikes

Ciref

We are just back from our May 22nd Western Caribbean cruise on the Getaway and I thought I would share some of my observations.

1) The food. It was vastly improved from our 2014 cruise on the Dawn. Delicious food, great variety, nicely presented. The main dining rooms were very good. LeBistro and Cagney's were great, Moderno was just ok.

2) We had loads of storage space in our standard balcony cabin. We didn't even use all the drawers.

3) The bathroom is comparatively spacious and I wasn't bumping my arms in the shower. Lots of storage here too.

4) The attitude of the staff was almost without exception great. They were very friendly and helpful.

5) The interactive displays by the elevator banks on each floor that allow you to make reservations and check activities were terrific.

6) The multitude of dining options and never having to wait for a table even without reservations for the regular dining rooms was greatly appreciated.

7) The policy of being allowed to disembark straight from your room first if you keep your bags and take them off the ship. We had an early flight and this was very helpful.

Dislikes:

1) The use of the Atrium for the Newlywed Game and Perfect Couple Show. The seating is inadequate, the resulting site lines are horrible. They need another venue in the ship to accommodate the large crowds who enjoy these entertaining shows.

2) Burn the Floor I found it boring. No story line.

3) The pool area and/or no Solarium. The pool is tiny. The Haven takes up so much top deck space that there is no room for a good sized pool or a Solarium like Royal Caribbean has. I feel NCL has let us balcony class cruisers down.

Pet Peeve:

1) I wish they served Coke products rather then Pepsi.

We had a great time and look forward to our next cruise on NCL.

Eric

We have enjoyed Burn the Floor, but I'm with you on the Coke products:D Pepsi just doesn't do it for us so we carry our Coke Zero on-board.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. So glad you enjoyed your cruise. This gets us excited for our upcoming 4th cruise on the Getaway!

Dislikes:

1) The use of the Atrium for the Newlywed Game and Perfect Couple Show. The seating is inadequate, the resulting site lines are horrible. They need another venue in the ship to accommodate the large crowds who enjoy these entertaining shows.

Totally agree on this, on the evening of the Perfect Couple Show I checked the main theater on 7 and found it empty. So it isn't like they need a venue, just being better organized. This may have been because on our cruise they were between main shows (Legally Blonde wasn't playing). Still there is a nice stage and giant venue in one of the main restuarants (don't remember the name), a bit of table juggling and they could have held it there as dinner was well over.

Dislikes:

Totally agree. They should be using the Tropicana MDR which has a great seating capacity.

This is where the Jewel class ships have an advantage over the big ships as they have a Lounge on Deck 12 FWD.

We enjoy dancing on cruise ships and the Getaway was often a disappointment. The Tropicana has a wonderful dance floor but hardly any passengers use it for dancing. The bands may play for a short while during dinner hour but the music is more like background dinner music. Seems a waste of a huge dance floor!

More contemporary dancing is done in H2O at night and the ship had LOTS of teens from South America (January cruise), so it turned into a hopping up and down rather than dance party. This location is very weather dependant and some parties get moved into the Tropicana after the dinner hour (11:00PM). Since the Getaway was designed to sail out of Miami, I wonder how H2O is going to be used when it does TAs and Baltic cruises next summer.

The Bliss lounge is a sad box that was rarely used by anyone. The DJ sometimes didn't show up. Fat Cats was good except the doors to the outside deck have people walking right across the dance floor. It is pretty small.

The Centrum was used for some dancing, but I really don't like that sort of venue for social dancing. If you want the dancers to provide entertainment for the rest of the ship, maybe they should be put on the crew staff...BTW- my meager skills in dancing would never qualify...

Some pools use the large pool deck for some parties, but the Getaway has a VERY small pool deck areas.