Room Steward versus Butler

Miss Merry

I'm wondering what the difference is between their duties. I'm new to Seabourn but used to Silversea and call me a Diva, but I do enjoy the unpacking and packing the Butler does. Is this something a Room Steward would do? I don't want to offend him/her and put them in a difficult position. Also do they help with restaurant reservations?

Many thanks in advance.

Miss Merry

I expect you will have to unpack and also pack up at the end of the cruise. I have never heard of a stewardess doing these tasks apart from assisting other hotel personnel in regards to a handicapped passenger.

And you will have to speak with staff at Seabourn Square about any restaurant reservations you may want. Same about tours and internet signups. You will likewise have to talk with spa staff about their services.

Seabourn's roots are in the Scandinavian tradition. Egalitarian principles apply on their one class ships. That's one of Seabourn's best selling points to me and for me.

Happy and healthy sailing!

We stay in butler suites on Crystal and they offer the service and would never think of asking a butler to pack or unpack for me unless I was disabled. You may be a diva but I outrank you...I am a Queen and still unpack my own stuff and put it where I want. Geez

On Silversea, the butler and room steward work together as a team so that one or the other is available any time during the day. The butler does perform some chores that the room steward on Seabourn does not, however, we have not found it to be an issue. Sevice on both is excellent. As far as unpacking, Silversea does offer that service, but,I don't expect many take advantage of it.

I don't think you can ask the room steward/ess on Seabourn to unpack for you. They are busy keeping the staterooms clean and well-stocked, and they do a good job. As others have commented, reservations for the one specialty restaurant, (or I suppose for the new TK feature in the Collonade) are made at Seabourn Sq., where the staff are superb. Arrangements for special parties in the MDR are made with the Maitre'd. Each ship/line has its own protocol, but no worries, the Seabourn Sq. staff can always point you in the right direction.

I would hate having someone unpack for me as it seems like it would be an awful pain to get it all rearranged once they did.

As there are never enough hangers (yes, even when I have them being more!) I end up hanging tops/skirts, dresses/jackets, etc. together so that my outfits are on one hanger. I also like unmentionables in one drawer, casual folded in one drawer, and less casual folded in another. Also unpacking is a good reminder of what I have brought with me so I often arrange the closet as I go.

I don't know that I trust a butler to do that unless he also has training as a dresser.

I would hate having someone unpack for me as it seems like it would be an awful pain to get it all rearranged once they did.

I couldn't agree more; also if the Butler packed for you how could you honestly answer the question at airport check-in, "Did you pack your suitcase yourself?":)

"What am I supposed to do? It's 7:00 o'clock, we are in our suite and there is no one - no butler - to make our drinks. Are we going to call someone or make them ourselves or go somewhere? Yes, this is our first Seabourn - we are Regent people - and, I suppose you could say that we are still searching, searching for a home."

I have told this story before and it's too delicious to avoid retelling since we are on the subject of butlers and their admirers. I overheard this observation from the next dinner table in The Restaurant on Odyssey. And I was kinda tempted to ask "how do you manage?!".

Just as well I didn't. Eavesdropping is not polite, after all.

"What am I supposed to do? It's 7:00 o'clock, we are in our suite and there is no one - no butler - to make our drinks. Are we going to call someone or make them ourselves or go somewhere? Yes, this is our first Seabourn - we are Regent people - and, I suppose you could say that we are still searching, searching for a home."

I have told this story before and it's too delicious to avoid retelling since we are on the subject of butlers and their admirers. I overheard this observation from the next dinner table in The Restaurant on Odyssey. And I was kinda tempted to ask "how do you manage?!".

Just as well I didn't. Eavesdropping is not polite, after all.

Too funny, but totally believable given some comments / behavior that I have seen, like the time about a year ago when we boarded the Quest and everything was delayed due to a Coast Guard inspection, and the crew scored a perfect 100, GA was the Master - my favorite. So provisions, pax embarking, departure time, etc.,delayed. After the safety drill we are at the SkyBar, as usual, and this guy is giving the bartender major grief because he can't order caviar due to the late provisions being delivered. Total jerk.