Exchange USD for Korean currency onboard

RaptorMom

I am having trouble finding the answer to this question and hopefully someone can help me. We are on the Diamond next week and have a shore excursion booked for Busan. The ship docks at 2:30 and the excursion is at 3:00. I tried to order Korean currency from my bank but they do not offer this currency. I really only need a small amount just in case we want to buy a souvenir or snack.

Can I exchange USD for Korean currency onboard? Only other idea is to exchange at the Tokyo airport when we arrive in Japan if that is an option.

Hi. We have done a cruise on the Diamond calling at Busan. As far as I can remember, and please don't take this as definite as it was a number of years ago, US dollars were accepted for tourist type purchases. The only thing I remember buying was a fridge magnet but I know that we did not have any of the local currency so would have paid in dollars. Hope this helps.

Two other options are to use your credit card for the purchase if it's large enough to warrant it (and it is accepted) or to get cash from an ATM if one is available and there is enough time to do so during your excursion.

Any currency exchange on the ship will have a very bad (for you ;)) exchange rate.

In 2013 I used US$ for street purchases and in stores. I always try to get local currency, but it was too hard for South Korea. All places were happy to take US. On the Diamond they have an ATM which dispenses money for various countries. I remember being able to get Yen, Yuan and HK but do not remember won for Sth Korea being available.

Enjoy Busan I was pleasantly surprised at what it had to offer