Looking for Cruise options for May 2017

Hislamb12

Dh and I just took our first small cruise in Bahamas in Jan 16, we LOVED the time away from our big, busy family life just the two of us.We are already looking at booking our next cruise in May 17. We have always dreamed of Alaska!!! Can't believe after almost 26 yrs together it might become a reality!!

Anyway, we went on Royal Carribean to Bahamas and while we did enjoy our time, we were not very impressed. Food was so-so, but good enough, entertainment was not really our style (more for partying single or drunk people), we enjoy just a couple of drinks the entire trip so purchased on our own. So I guess we are more conservative and enjoy the family atmosphere mostly. Someone suggested we take a Disney cruise even though we won't have kids since the focus is more family. However, I would rather not have a ton of kids in toe either as I am looking for a break from kids at home.

Any thoughts on what type of cruise line or ship we might enjoy?

I have no idea what to expect with Alaska but I am reading. I think it would be just beautiful and amazing to see whales and wildlife and the glaciers. Is May a somewhat good season to go there?

THanks for any suggestions.

May is a good time to go to Alaska. Most people sail round trip from Seattle or Vancouver. Many sail from Vancouver to Seward or Whittier or the reverse, especially if they want to extend the vacation on land. If you want to go further inland to Denali you need to wait until the park road fully opens for the season in June. Read some of the trip reports at the top of this forum to help you make your choices.

Lots of cruise lines are operating in Alaska. Most go to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway. Some go to Sitka and Icy Strait. Some go to Glacier Bay. How much family atmosphere do you want? Do you mean wholesome? Try Princess, Holland America, or Celebrity.

An Alaska cruise will not be the 'party' atmosphere, at all.

Definitely a different vibe than a Bahamas Cruise!

We are just off the Coral Princess.

Really liked this ship for Alaska! Open decks and windows everywhere. Plenty of public area and space per passenger.

We felt that food and service in the MDR was very good... while the buffet on the Coral was not the best. We had Prime Rib, Lobster tail and large prawn, Crab Legs, Filet at the specialty restaurant, etc..

I can also recommend this time of year (Mid to Late May) for the gorgeous scenery with snow still on the mountains.

I will post my trip report soon.

For an Alaskan Cruise, I (and many others) recommend a one-way, either North or South bound. We sailed Southbound from Whittier, with a pre-cruise Glacier Tour of PWS, which included College Fjord.

Prioritize your interests and what you want to see... then pick an itinerary from there. We saw a LOT on this itinerary! The biggest thing that we couldn't get was Tracy Arm Fjord. But, after College Fjord, Hubbard Glacier, and Glacier Bay, I am very happy we went with this itinerary!

Realize that to really see Alaska, you will want to get off the ship and do excursions. We did the Glacier tour of Prince William Sound, Whale Watching in Juneau, and rented a car to go over the mountains (White Pass) to Carcross and Emerald Lake at Skagway. Excursions such as helicopter/air tours will cost quite a bit. So, you want to keep this in mind as you budget.

Will you be booking a balcony, for sure?

If not, there are some nicer full non-obstructed cabins to consider as well.

I have to say that, on our cruise, in May, it was chilly, and even cold when at the Glaciers. So, we did not miss a balcony like I thought I might!

Happy Planning!

Edited by Wishing on a star

We are just off the Celebrity Solstice. I will second all of the previous posters comments. We loved the Solstice! So much so, that we have booked it again for May 2017, Vancouver to Seattle.

I would also recommend renting a car and taking the road from Skagway into the Canadian Yukon to Emerald Lake. We did this as well, and the views are breathtaking. Our pictures do not even come close to doing the beauty justice.

Also, as far as a balcony. I found that we used our balcony many times, as we liked to go out and view the scenery as we traveled, and as we were relaxing. It was also nice the day we were in the Tracy Arm, that we could view it from our balcony, and not be so cold up on deck.

So, a balcony is a personal choice.

With regards to the cruise line.... think Holland America or Princess. Main reason is they have more sailings to Glacier Bay. A must do for glacier seekers.

You also need consider....

• 7 day round trip vs 14 day round trip.
  • 7 day one way Northbound
  • 7 day one way Southbound.... the one way trips offer opportunities and time at more Northern ports.
  • Yukon Denali.... Holland America offers an option where you travel between Anchorage and Skagway without a cruise ship.

Here's a couple of vids to get you inspired....

[YOUTUBE]LyOFAKRjcpo[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]NHqJf6Un5-U[/YOUTUBE]

With regards to going in May vs another month in the season....

• May and September is cheaper, but colder and some excursions are not running. Some like these months as you can do back 2 back cruise getting to/from Alaska.
  • May can mean ice congestion to some glacier viewing sites like Tracy Arm/Sawyer
  • May to July is dryer in Alaska, August will see more rain and September will be wettest. If too stormy to dock.... cruise ships will skip the port.
  • July to August will be dryer in Cascadia
  • May to August will give you more day light
  • August and September offer better wildlife opportunities
  • I like late-July for weather compromise and wildlife. It's also priced higher.
  • some ports offer seasonal opportunities like fireworks and pride celebrations, but can also mean congestion.
  • http://www.alaska.org/advice/best-time-to-visit-alaska => it recommends mid-June to mid-July!