Solstice, Still Magic: Detailed Trip Report

HenGypsy

Soon, I will post more "handouts" from the cruise, as well as my Day 6 and Day 7 trip reports. Stay tuned!

Thanks, everyone, for your interest and your kind comments. I gain so much from reading others' posts that I wanted to return the favor.

Day 6, At Sea

Heavy seas this morning. After coffee and breakfast, we hear the captain’s navigational and weather report. We learn the day’s activities will be modified and a new Celebrity Today will be sent to our staterooms. We suspect ‘Miss Amanda’ may be seasick. And tonight’s show probably isn’t safe to perform in high seas. We are feeling good and head off to learn how to cook the perfect steak. The demo is interesting and helpful. We learn a lot and plan to cook our next steaks with butter on top!

We look through the photos we’ve had taken by the photographers and opt not to buy any.

For those of you who are dubious about the hot glass show…go. It is surprisingly engaging and quite interesting to watch.

Secret Tip: There is a women’s restroom in the main pool area, I believe, starboard side…the stall against the outside wall is a large Window. It’s the best view for taking care of business, ladies! Maybe it’s the same in the matching men’s room. By the way, the common restrooms on this ship are amazingly luxurious, with marble, fresh flowers, sometimes orchids, rolled cloth washcloths, and private full-door stalls. Also, there are buttons to press to get into and out of the bathrooms, easier than pulling that weird big door.

We have Tuscan Grille booked for tonight and get a prime table for two at the center of the back windows. Unfortunately, the seas are still rolling and we can feel it more in the back of the ship. The sommelier brings me some ‘premium’ wine which I finally figure out I don’t care for and my husband has a Peroni beer. We order the antipasto plate; excellent. They bring a mixed basket of breads; wish they would have asked which bread we wanted like in Murano to reduce waste, instead of leaving the whole basket. We get a starter each (French onion for me, ceasar salad for him), then lobster pasta for him and risotto for me (both very heavy), then a steak for him and shrimp and scallop skewers for me. Too full, and uncomfortable with the ship’s motion, we skipped desert. Really, for us, this was a missed opportunity. Next time, we will not schedule for a sea day and will arrive very hungry! *A note about that Caesar salad—it was prepared tableside but not like the old days; the dressing is already prepared so basically they just ask do you want anchovies and croutons; it’s rather silly to make this a tableside production in my view.

Tonight’s replacement show, an illusionist, is the one show we exit early; not our style. Only one more day to go. We are feeling the countdown.

PS—In our cabin, 6192, the bed is by the balcony door.

Day 7, At Sea and Victoria

Much calmer seas today. After a leisurely morning, we go to the Titanic presentation by Mary Amanda, who seems to be feeling much better. It’s a very good presentation and DH truly, truly enjoys it. Some interesting history that enriches the story you most likely already know.

The main show today, which was originally set for last night, is Amade and takes place at 3pm so people can see it before they go into Victoria—Kudos to Celebrity for smart rescheduling. It’s just fabulous, with sumptuous costumes and interesting interpretations of Mozart mixed with modern music. We are so thankful that Celebrity kept it on the itinerary!

Oh, dear! We’ve got some onboard credit to spend. With the premium drink package, internet, and pre-paid gratuities under Go Best, there hasn’t been much to buy besides the specialty restaurants. So we decide to go to Silk Harvest again. Alas, it’s booked! So, instead, I purchase a $99 Apple Magic Keyboard from the iLounge and plan to go to the shops later. About 4:30 I finally make it there and pick up (more!) smoked salmon, a blue shawl-thingy, gummy bears, $20 tweezers (whatever), and a travel set by l’occitane en provence. And as I make my last purchase, the shops are closing. We exit a closed shop door. Moral: make restaurant reservations early and get your shopping done early. If I had waited another 5 minutes, I would have been left with a chunk of unspent, unrefundable OBC. In any case, our final bill is now 98 cents

The stop in Victoria is a bit frustrating for us. It’s a lovely little city, too lovely to make this token 6pm stop for just a few hours at night, when the shops and so many services and attractions are closed. We understand the Jones Act, but it seems that it would be quite easy to arrive earlier so the guests could fully enjoy this port of call. We don’t get off the ship as we’ve been to Victoria several times.

I believe it was this night that the buffet offered made to order beef steaks (fine cuts) and salmon; very delicious. Also, we remember make-your-own-shrimp-cocktails, fresh cherries/papaya/kumquats, and many other surprises through the week. Sometimes at breakfast, they would come around the buffet seating areas offering trays of already-made smoothies. Be sure to watch for Wilmar, the angel of the buffet, who sings, makes all sorts of pronouncements and announcements (about things like toast and pasta), and generally brings sunshine to everyone.

Packing is an easy but sad affair. We each have a giant Ziploc bag to put our dirty clothes in. Since we’ll be carrying off our own bags, we don’t need to set our luggage in the hallway or figure out what to keep with us for the morning.

Late tonight, DH makes a run to al Baccio for a coffee and brings it back to put in our fridge. He figures they might not be open in the morning and he will want a “good” coffee (cold is fine), not buffet coffee.

Final Morning, Disembarkation

DH delights in his cold coffee this morning. We get cleaned up and complete packing, then head up to the buffet for our final meal on board. We see that the Solstice has put out a grand cake that says “Thank You for Sailing with Us!” We don’t partake but it’s such a nice touch. We are feeling so thankful that we’ve been blessed with the opportunity to have this luxurious getaway. Then we grab our bags back out of our cabin and exit the ship. Customs is quick (just show our passports and turn in a short form provided earlier by our room stewards) and the taxi line is quite short for us at 7:45am or so. Back to reality. Until next time.

[Coming Up: I will post more cruise handouts.]

What a great way to customize your desert! Good tip.

Originally Posted by davis0056 View Post

"For desert, I choose the strawberry crepe and DH opts for the soufflé."

on our Reflection TA we ate in Murano twice. We ordered these deserts both times.

As my Mom used to tell me.....Remember, 1 helping for de"S"ert, 2 helpings for de"SS"ert.:D

I have thoroughly enjoyed your review, it was like reliving mine of the week prior. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. I completely agree with you about Victoria. It's such a wonderful city and deserves a whole day...which is why we booked the 9-day Solstice Alaska cruise sailing May 17, 2017. Not only do we get a day in Victoria but Hubbard glacier and Sitka--join us! :D

Edited by MustBCruzn

I have thoroughly enjoyed your review, it was like reliving mine of the week prior. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. I completely agree with you about Victoria. It's such a wonderful city and deserves a whole day...which is why we booked the 9-day Solstice Alaska cruise sailing May 17, 2017. Not only do we get a day in Victoria but Hubbard glacier and Sitka--join us! :D

Nine days on the Soltice! You lucky girl. I hope you enjoy every minute.

I really enjoyed reading your reviews. I've had the chance to sail on solstice a few times and it really is a lovely ship. I particularly enjoyed the positive attitude to both you and your husband appear to have. It's wonderful to travel with relaxed cruisers who are pleased with their trip.

I really enjoyed reading your reviews. I've had the chance to sail on solstice a few times and it really is a lovely ship. I particularly enjoyed the positive attitude to both you and your husband appear to have. It's wonderful to travel with relaxed cruisers who are pleased with their trip.

So glad to hear that you enjoyed the review. Thanks for the kind comment.

This afternoon, back on the ship, we attended a sushi-making demonstration ... The ship really has been offering a nice selection of sushi in the buffet. I suspect that will end when the Bistro becomes Sushi on 5 after the October refurb.

As reported by the Celebrity account, Solstice is going to Sushi on Five July 1.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=50158858&postcount=40