Singles & Solos Meet

A CC member shared the activities listings for the days of my upcoming cruise on Westerdam to Alaska. One of the activities is "Singles & Solos Meet" and I'm wondering if anyone has attended and what to expect.

Thanks for whatever you can share.

I have always cruised solo, and let's just say those activities are not my cup of tea, which is not to denigrate the efforts of the staff.

Is it a port day? Some of the cruises I've been on have had a meeting place so singles can group and go into the port together. Personally, I've never participated in that although I've some singles state they were the only one there. I've done the singles lunches before and those are nice to meet other singles on board.

Is it a port day? Some of the cruises I've been on have had a meeting place so singles can group and go into the port together. Personally, I've never participated in that although I've some singles state they were the only one there. I've done the singles lunches before and those are nice to meet other singles on board.

According to what I have (from a sailing in May), there's one on embarkation day in the early evening and another mid-day cruising Glacier Bay.

I have always cruised solo, and let's just say those activities are not my cup of tea, which is not to denigrate the efforts of the staff.

I'm also curious as to what you found that didn't suit as HAL will be my first solo cruise and I thought I would give this a try. I don't usually need company, but I thought it could open up some avenues for dinner and conversation.

On the last cruise I was on (11 day Panama canal sunfarer in April 2014 aboard the Zuiderdam), I went to one or two of the singles/solos meets. The gal who hosted them (I think her name was Courtney) was about my age but out of the 3 or 4 others who attended, I was definitely 40-50 years their junior.

Further, there was a singles/solos luncheon and I was the only one who showed up.

After that, it definitely was not my cup of tea.

Thank goodness 2 weeks after I disembarked that cruise, I met the love of my life, so I won't have to go through that again in August.

Singles and solos meetings are different on every cruise. It is as good as the participants. Some are great and some are blah. On last year's Voyage of the Vikings I met people (both male and female) who will be lifelong friends. On other cruises, I met people but don't care one way or another if I meet them again. I'll always go and give it a chance.

Singles and solos meetings are different on every cruise. It is as good as the participants. Some are great and some are blah. On last year's Voyage of the Vikings I met people (both male and female) who will be lifelong friends. On other cruises, I met people but don't care one way or another if I meet them again. I'll always go and give it a chance.

Thanks, jaspersmycat.

Sounds like there is a host or moderator, so I guess that at least provides direction. I've never attended one and was kind of wondering if you're just all in the same room and it's up to you to reach out or if someone does the "tell us who you are and where you're from" thing :-}

On the last cruise I was on (11 day Panama canal sunfarer in April 2014 aboard the Zuiderdam), I went to one or two of the singles/solos meets. The gal who hosted them (I think her name was Courtney) was about my age but out of the 3 or 4 others who attended, I was definitely 40-50 years their junior.

Further, there was a singles/solos luncheon and I was the only one who showed up.

After that, it definitely was not my cup of tea.

Thank goodness 2 weeks after I disembarked that cruise, I met the love of my life, so I won't have to go through that again in August.

Disappointing I suppose, but at least you checked it out (and I appreciate the reply).

The last cruise I was on used a bar area for gatherings, but you could walk past during the time they had a meeting group identified and tell that most people there weren't in the described category.

I'm also curious as to what you found that didn't suit as HAL will be my first solo cruise and I thought I would give this a try. I don't usually need company, but I thought it could open up some avenues for dinner and conversation.

I have thought long and hard about this reply, as I do not want to be flamed or to offend. Yes, early on I attended a few solo gatherings, and on my last cruise, at the urging of a staff member I tried another.

On embarkation day I usually already have plans to join friends made online through the roll call. Since I choose port intensive itineraries, a rare sea day is packed with catch-ups, must-dos, and activities such as wine tastings. Lunches and dinners most often evolve naturally as a result of excursions and tours with other pax with similar interests. So I guess the two-fold answer is that I don't have to go to a Singles and Solos get together to meet people, nor do I have the time.

Now, if HAL offered a Singles and Solos Wine Tasting, it might be a different story...

I have thought long and hard about this reply, as I do not want to be flamed or to offend. Yes, early on I attended a few solo gatherings, and on my last cruise, at the urging of a staff member I tried another.

On embarkation day I usually already have plans to join friends made online through the roll call. Since I choose port intensive itineraries, a rare sea day is packed with catch-ups, must-dos, and activities such as wine tastings. Lunches and dinners most often evolve naturally as a result of excursions and tours with other pax with similar interests. So I guess the two-fold answer is that I don't have to go to a Singles and Solos get together to meet people, nor do I have the time.

Now, if HAL offered a Singles and Solos Wine Tasting, it might be a different story...

Mame42, thanks for coming back with your answer. It helps to know why people answer as they do. I certainly would not flame you for your honesty and explanation, but I understand you thinking some may be 'sensitive'.

I also appreciate Aegis' experience and why it doesn't work for her.

I am on the fence, as I only want to see about having the occasional meal together, and after past experiences of joining large tables, I would rather eat with some people I have vetted than those the maitre d' finds for me.

I am on a cruise which happens to have a tour of US conservative political journalists.....forgive me, but that is not MY cup of tea.....I'll eat alone rather than risk being seated at that table. I don't 'do' politics of any country.

Mame42, thanks for coming back with your answer. It helps to know why people answer as they do. I certainly would not flame you for your honesty and explanation, but I understand you thinking some may be 'sensitive'.

I also appreciate Aegis' experience and why it doesn't work for her.

I am on the fence, as I only want to see about having the occasional meal together, and after past experiences of joining large tables, I would rather eat with some people I have vetted than those the maitre d' finds for me.

I am on a cruise which happens to have a tour of US conservative political journalists.....forgive me, but that is not MY cup of tea.....I'll eat alone rather than risk being seated at that table. I don't 'do' politics of any country.

In that case I would rather eat alone in the Lido with my crossword puzzle! Frankly, to be honest, I have had many of my most hilarious belly laughs, delightful meals, and intelligent conversations by accident after asking to join strangers at a partially full table in the Lido.

When I sail solo, which is much of the time, I always try to go to the single's lunch. Usually there are enough singles to take up more than one large table. Often the "social host" who is part of the Cruise Director's team, will spring for wine. Sometimes ideas emerge, such as to meet in one of the lounges on a daily or occasional basis. The lunch is a nice way to make some casual acquaintances. They tend to be more active on repositioning cruises with lots of at sea days.

Since my sailing is soon and I'm interested to see what the "singles & solos meet" thing is about, I'll attend both and report back here to let the rest of you know how it went.

Sounds like the luncheon on glacier cruising day might be best (have to eat anyway), but -- other than dinner -- there's not much going on embarkation day at that time.

If it's fun, it'll be worth it. If it's not, it'll be a lesson learned.

Since my sailing is soon and I'm interested to see what the "singles & solos meet" thing is about, I'll attend both and report back here to let the rest of you know how it went.

Sounds like the luncheon on glacier cruising day might be best (have to eat anyway), but -- other than dinner -- there's not much going on embarkation day at that time.

If it's fun, it'll be worth it. If it's not, it'll be a lesson learned.

Yes, let us know how you get on. I doesn't cost more than maybe the price of a drink and you might meet some interesting people.

I did Alaska on Princess (and with a friend), but it is a lovely area of the world. Have a great time.

Yes, let us know how you get on. I doesn't cost more than maybe the price of a drink and you might meet some interesting people.

I did Alaska on Princess (and with a friend), but it is a lovely area of the world. Have a great time.

I will .... report back and have a great time! Have booked excursions as if this might be my last sailing to Alaska. I hope it isn't, but just in case.

A CC member shared the activities listings for the days of my upcoming cruise on Westerdam to Alaska. One of the activities is "Singles & Solos Meet" and I'm wondering if anyone has attended and what to expect.

Thanks for whatever you can share.

A friend and I went to a Solos lunch one time that was a bit of a horror -- yes, everyone else was "solo" but it was a large group of something or others who were traveling together, so the conversation was all about their club, which we were obviously not part of :rolleyes:

Another time, a couple of friends went to the lunch, met a great group, and about 10 people really got along well, and ended up planning several things together. Meet for pre-dinner drinks, lunch one day, go to a show one night, and something on shore in one of the ports.

So, it really depends on the passengers onboard.

I have gone to a number of them on different ships. Usually the first is a kind of meet and greet, and then there is usually a luncheon. It depends on the number of people who show up the first night, the HAL crew member organizing them and how much interest they have, and some what on the group desires. Usually the women there greatly outnumber the men, and usually most people are 70 and up. I have gone and been the youngest person there (not as much now that I am 59.) The last few, the HAL host buys everyone a drink. The last one I went to was odd as there were three men there, and my friend and I were the only women there. I have never met a woman friend who I did things with, but I did meet a man at one who I had a shipboard romance with. It's usually pretty interesting since most people there are much more travelled than me.

A friend and I went to a Solos lunch one time that was a bit of a horror -- yes, everyone else was "solo" but it was a large group of something or others who were traveling together, so the conversation was all about their club, which we were obviously not part of :rolleyes:

Another time, a couple of friends went to the lunch, met a great group, and about 10 people really got along well, and ended up planning several things together. Meet for pre-dinner drinks, lunch one day, go to a show one night, and something on shore in one of the ports.

So, it really depends on the passengers onboard.

Thanks VennDiagram ... others may feel similarly if they stumble on to a CC group function haha. Just to hear there is some success to it is good news!

I have gone to a number of them on different ships. Usually the first is a kind of meet and greet, and then there is usually a luncheon. It depends on the number of people who show up the first night, the HAL crew member organizing them and how much interest they have, and some what on the group desires. Usually the women there greatly outnumber the men, and usually most people are 70 and up. I have gone and been the youngest person there (not as much now that I am 59.) The last few, the HAL host buys everyone a drink. The last one I went to was odd as there were three men there, and my friend and I were the only women there. I have never met a woman friend who I did things with, but I did meet a man at one who I had a shipboard romance with. It's usually pretty interesting since most people there are much more travelled than me.

Again, some positive takeaway...thanks!

If a HAL host wants to buy me a drink, that's a plus too :-]

I am about to go on my ninth solo cruise in a few days. I always go to the solo & single meets which are always the first night of the cruise after leaving the departure port (no set time - differs on every cruise). I have met some wonderful people this way. Attendance at these meetings can be as few as three to as many as a dozen, generally women. I would give it a chance - you usually get a free drink from the cruise member hosting the meet which is usually the culinary arts person. If you don't care for the people who show up, you could always make an excuse and say you have a dinner reservation or such. I have gone on excursions, to the shows, and had dinner with people I have met at these meets. GO FOR IT!

I've been to single and solo events on 2 longer cruises. On last years Voyage of the Vikings the Culinary Arts Hostess did a terrific job with at least three receptions, lunches, and dinners. As jaspermycat said, friends were made for life with some of us in that group. On the Grand Med there was only one reception but several lunches. I'm male, so its a bit different for me, but my experience is you get as much out of these events as you're willing to put into it by socializing.

On a longer cruise last year the Culinary Arts person hosted the "Solos and Singles" events, including a lunch and a dinner in the Pinnacle. For the dinners (I was at a nearby table) they filled two adjacent tables and seemed to have a fun time. From talking with the Culinary Arts person another day she had dinners two nights - different guests each night. She told me about the lunches as well. From what I could guess by just looking, I would say that the women were in the age range of 45 - 65, the men about the same. (Mainly women). Perhaps the other dinner group were older - don't know.

On another cruise I was in the Crow's Nest when a Singles and Solos hosted cocktail party started. The group (maybe 8 women) sat in the area adjacent to where i was sitting. Seemingly nice enough women, but interested in activities that do not match my interests - so I would probably not have hung with that group.

From the several cruises where I have actually observed one or more singles and solos events, if I were a single I would go to at least the first event to see who was on board, then decide whether to continue or ot.

Edited by wander