Unique In Juneau?

Midwestern Cruiser

I'd like to find something different in Juneau.

This is my third stop there and tours already booked on this return in Sitka (marine wildlife tour) and Ketchikan (fjord floatplane) are leaving me stumped with Juneau. I've been to Mendenhall twice, gone up Mt. Roberts, panned for gold (out of Skagway), know the ship is having two salmon bakes onboard and done the local brewery tasting :-}

Would love to do the Tracy Arm tour, but that would really strain my budget with the other two tours booked. Am thinking about Glacier Gardens on my own (the ship offers it with Mendenhall and a salmon hatchery, so I may fall back on that if I don't find anything else).

Thanks in advance for suggestions. Juneau is the ship's longest in-port day on the cruise, so I don't want to waste it.

Juneau Food Tours(dot)com. I did this last year- walking tour with several stops to taste a variety of foods and beer/wine.

Tour left from in front of the fisherman's memorial by Taku seafood at the end of cruise ship pier.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thoughts....

• I went to Glacier Gardens and loved it. However I noticed "Best of Juneau" tours have replaced it with whale watches for some cruise lines.
  • Have you had crab legs at Tracy's shack?
  • Have you tried to build a charm bracelet with Diamond's International? Juneau has the bear... http://www.diamondsinternational.com/location/store/juneau

This vid may give you ideas on what may be new....

[YOUTUBE]RiaOlvSRMAk[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

I would try to find the funds for Tracy Arm.

Trust me, I have...but a solo balcony, floatplane and 6-passenger 2.5-hour wildlife tour is making it difficult. I may cave and do it, but I'm trying hard not to. I sailed Tracy Arm in 2013 so I know how breathtaking it is, but I have at least seen it.

Juneau Food Tours(dot)com. I did this last year- walking tour with several stops to taste a variety of foods and beer/wine.

Tour left from in front of the fisherman's memorial by Taku seafood at the end of cruise ship pier.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I checked this out and it does sound fun...it's just that I'm a very picky eater (eat a lot of what I like, but don't really like much).

I did the Chef's Table last fall and loved it, but they had to talk me into it. After I inquired, they called three times to convince me they could teach me to like "fine" dining :-} They did an awesome job and I loved it!

Thoughts....

• I went to Glacier Gardens and loved it. However I noticed "Best of Juneau" tours have replaced it with whale watches for some cruise lines.
  • Have you had crab legs at Tracy's shack?
  • Have you tried to build a charm bracelet with Diamond's International? Juneau has the bear... http://www.diamondsinternational.com/location/store/juneau

This vid may give you ideas on what may be new....

RiaOlvSRMAk

Right now, the Gardens are at the top of my "to do" list unless I find something else that's enticing.

I'm not fond of crab meat.

Went with (followed) friends on the DI bracelet thing a few years ago...if I had a granddaughter (in addition to my four grandsons), I might do this!

Thank you so much for sharing these ideas :-}

I usually try to be more empathetic to comments on this board because I understand that everyone has different tastes and interests, but when I read a recommendation to come to my beautiful and unique hometown and 'make a bracelet' at one of these carpetbagging jewelry stores, I'm near tears. Or for that matter, anything with the word 'tour' in it.

Okay, judgmental time over.

With the long port time, and two previous visits, I'd strongly recommend renting a car and seeing some of the hidden corners of Juneau. If you're not comfortable doing that, it doesn't sound as though you've done the tram, which is not cheap but not outrageously expensive if you spend some time up at the top. I've had visitors who've paid over $100 for a group, only to get out, take a few pictures, and go back down. A very nice circle walking tour (if you've got good mobility) can be done with the new SLAM (aforementioned new State Museum) then onto the old city cemetery, and up to the Flume Trail, a level walk on a boardwalk along a mountainside, but then steep street surfaces walk back down to your ship. The Wickersham House and Russian Orthodox church could also be toured on the way back.

In a car, you could go up to the mining ruins above town, which all my visitors LOVE, over to Sandy Beach on Douglas Island and an easy level trail through the mining ruins there, out North Douglas Road for views of the glacier from across the channel, as well as some trails there, to Glacier Gardens and the hatchery, and then on out the road to the Shrine of St. Therese and Eagle Beach, with many beautiful stops along the way if you're up for it. The city arboretum is a wonderful gardening stop if you're here on its open days.

Please feel free to ask any specific questions.

I usually try to be more empathetic to comments on this board because I understand that everyone has different tastes and interests, but when I read a recommendation to come to my beautiful and unique hometown and 'make a bracelet' at one of these carpetbagging jewelry stores, I'm near tears. Or for that matter, anything with the word 'tour' in it.

With the long port time, and two previous visits, I'd strongly recommend renting a car and seeing some of the hidden corners of Juneau. If you're not comfortable doing that, it doesn't sound as though you've done the tram, which is not cheap but not outrageously expensive if you spend some time up at the top. I've had visitors who've paid over $100 for a group, only to get out, take a few pictures, and go back down. A very nice circle walking tour (if you've got good mobility) can be done with the new SLAM (aforementioned new State Museum) then onto the old city cemetery, and up to the Flume Trail, a level walk on a boardwalk along a mountainside, but then steep street surfaces walk back down to your ship. The Wickersham House and Russian Orthodox church could also be toured on the way back.

In a car, you could go up to the mining ruins above town, which all my visitors LOVE, over to Sandy Beach on Douglas Island and an easy level trail through the mining ruins there, out North Douglas Road for views of the glacier from across the channel, as well as some trails there, to Glacier Gardens and the hatchery, and then on out the road to the Shrine of St. Therese and Eagle Beach, with many beautiful stops along the way if you're up for it. The city arboretum is a wonderful gardening stop if you're here on its open days.

Thank you for the valuable information. Nice to hear it from a local resident. I wouldn't be comfortable renting a car and driving but I want to avoid taking a large bus tour as well.

Right now, the Gardens are at the top of my "to do" list unless I find something else that's enticing.

You may want to read some recent reviews. I went the first of June one year and the gardens were very empty. Someone did post they had an early spring and it may be better this year but I was disappointed in spending the money for seeing dirt.

If your trip was in July or August I would not have said anything.

I was appalled also! :mad:

Thank you for the valuable information. Nice to hear it from a local resident. I wouldn't be comfortable renting a car and driving but I want to avoid taking a large bus tour as well.

We rented a car in Juneau last year. There's no traffic once you get out of the port area and it's hard to get lost since there are so few roads. We went to St Therese, Eagle Beach and all the way to the "end of the road" - which really isn't that far - just to say we'd done it. It was really quite easy and much more fun than any bus tour.

In a car, you could go up to the mining ruins above town, which all my visitors LOVE, over to Sandy Beach on Douglas Island and an easy level trail through the mining ruins there, out North Douglas Road for views of the glacier from across the channel, as well as some trails there, to Glacier Gardens and the hatchery, and then on out the road to the Shrine of St. Therese and Eagle Beach, with many beautiful stops along the way if you're up for it. QUOTE]

We do plan on renting a car. Can you elaborate on the mining ruins above town. How do you get there? Is there a trail to get there? We do plan on driving to Douglas Island. What else is there in addition to Sandy Beach and the glacier view. Also where are the mining ruins and how far is the trail. Thanks tee_harbor!

Thank you, tee_harbor -- this is an awesome reply.

I admit I kind of made fun of my friends collecting bracelet parts, but at least they had granddaughters (under 10) to collect them for :-]

I'm wondering if you'd like to be a "guide for a day" when I'm in Juneau on June 13th? I'd love to see the area by car, but not sure driving, navigating and rubbernecking would be a safe thing.... And I'm only half kidding if you'd consider it!

Mt Roberts is the tram, right? If yes, I've done that and mentioned it earlier, but if not, please tell me more.

The Flume Trail sounds like something I'd enjoy and walking is not a problem. Is there a local map for this circle walking tour you mention?

I would like to see the church this time as it's something I've missed on prior stops. And Wickersham House sounds interesting too. I'd not heard of it before.

Thanks for your help! I think you're lucky to live in Alaska.

You may want to read some recent reviews. I went the first of June one year and the gardens were very empty. Someone did post they had an early spring and it may be better this year but I was disappointed in spending the money for seeing dirt.

If your trip was in July or August I would not have said anything.

Thank you for letting me know. I haven't seen reviews from visitors there in the last three weeks and wouldn't have thought of this.

Disappointing, but I'd rather know.

Hey Midwestern cruiser...as you can see from my "handle", I'm also a midwestern traveler. Doing a mother/son cruise and wondering what we could do in Juneau when we return from the Tracy Arm catamaran. Please post what you end up doing. We don't leave until Sept. so I'll be anxious to see how the day went for you.

Thank you for letting me know. I haven't seen reviews from visitors there in the last three weeks and wouldn't have thought of this.

Disappointing, but I'd rather know.

You may want to try calling them.

Juneau has a decent public transit system. We have used it to go places. Check it out -- it might be the answer for you, too.

Hey Midwestern cruiser...as you can see from my "handle", I'm also a midwestern traveler. Doing a mother/son cruise and wondering what we could do in Juneau when we return from the Tracy Arm catamaran. Please post what you end up doing. We don't leave until Sept. so I'll be anxious to see how the day went for you.

Happy to do it! Came within a click of booking the Tracy Arm tour, but being there in 2013, a cost of $260pp and $300 already spent on other excursions helped me get control.

I'm in southern Illinois, closer to St. Louis & probably not that far from you!