First Timer Question on Dining

doublebzz

I understand that all dining is "open seating" or as you wish dining as it is called on some other lines. We like to share tables with other guests so how does that work in Oceania? If we request to share, how do we know we won't placed at a table where the guests wanted to dine by themselves?

Only those guests who wish to share are seated at tables for sharing. Those who want to dine by themselves are placed at a table for two or four (depending on the size of their group when they check-in). If you want to share, then when you check-in you say, "We are a party of 2 (or 4) and we would like to share". Then you will be seated at an appropriate table with others who wish to share also. Enjoy your cruise!

Not all dinning is open dinning, just the terrace and GDR . The speciality restaurants require a reservation. You can make some on line before you sail, the number and timing depends on room type. More can be made aboard based on availability. When you make your reservation you can say what size table you would like.

When you make your reservation you can say what size table you would like.

When did they give that option ?

we sailed in April & there was no choice of table size online

Maybe if you call you can request a certain table size :confused:

Like Lyn, I have never heard of an option to say what size table you want ... unless you are booking a specialty restaurant in which case of course you can.

For the OP, just say you want to share when you enter the GDR. The would never put you with people who want to dine alone!

On the other hand, we have sometimes been in a situation where when we showed up there were no others who wanted to share, and so we ended up at table for two. That is because when the fill a table for 4, 6 or 8, they want the other people there right now. They don't want to put the first couple at a table that may not be filled. Okay, the table can fill up gradually ... but if you are the first two, sometimes you won't get it. For the record, we tend to go into the GDR around 7:30-7:45 for dinner.

So timing can be a problem.

And yes, we prefer sharing! We've almost never dined with people who were incompatible (at least NOT on Oceania). And since we dine home alone every night, when we're on a cruise we like to meet people.

Mura

unless you are booking a specialty restaurant in which case of course you can.

Mura

That is what I was referring to I have not seen that option for the specialties ..I must have missed it ...guess the doctor was right I need new glasses :eek:

It was either sharing ....you get what they give you

no sharing you dine alone at a 2 top

sharing with others you invite ..so they give you a table for the number in your party

When did they give that option ?

we sailed in April & there was no choice of table size online

Maybe if you call you can request a certain table size :confused:

You can request sharing or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can request sharing or not.

If you select sharing can you select a table for 4 , 6 or 8 during the online booking process?

I do not recall that being an option

Maybe my mind is going as well as my eyes :eek:

For past cruises, I have chosen sharing when booking specialty restaurants online. On our past couple cruises, sharing has resulted in being seated at a very large table - which was awful. We typically have a starter, salad and entree. Our last time in Toscana at a sharing table for 8, there were 2 couples having every course, and two individuals sent back courses and requested new ones while we all waited...in short, we were at the table for many hours.

Conversely, we had a lovely dinner shared with one other couple in Polo. If I could choose sharing with a smaller table, I'd certainly do so....but for our current booking, I just went for no sharing to avoid the "big table" sharing situation... I don't recall ever having a choice of table size for sharing (other than with others you plan to dine with of course).

For past cruises, I have chosen sharing when booking specialty restaurants online. On our past couple cruises, sharing has resulted in being seated at a very large table - which was awful. We typically have a starter, salad and entree. Our last time in Toscana at a sharing table for 8, there were 2 couples having every course, and two individuals sent back courses and requested new ones while we all waited...in short, we were at the table for many hours.

Conversely, we had a lovely dinner shared with one other couple in Polo. If I could choose sharing with a smaller table, I'd certainly do so....but for our current booking, I just went for no sharing to avoid the "big table" sharing situation... I don't recall ever having a choice of table size for sharing (other than with others you plan to dine with of course).

I agree with the sharing sometimes you just get a bad situation

you could always seek out the reservation person on day 1 & ask if you could have a table for 4 or 6

I find 8 is far too many people to have at the table

Glad to hear you did not see table size option online either ...maybe my mind is not completely left the building :D

If you select sharing can you select a table for 4 , 6 or 8 during the online booking process?

I do not recall that being an option

Maybe my mind is going as well as my eyes :eek:

No, I don't think you can indicate a desired table size. Sorry if I seemed to be indicating that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I understand that all dining is "open seating" or as you wish dining as it is called on some other lines. We like to share tables with other guests so how does that work in Oceania? If we request to share, how do we know we won't placed at a table where the guests wanted to dine by themselves?

Just came off my first Oceania cruise a month ago. Sharing was easy - though I recommend going to dinner earlier if you want to share. Twice we went to the GDR after 8 and they told us sharing was not available - I think because by then the flow of passengers has slowed down and we would have waited awhile for other passengers to be seated with us.

We did have two meals with couples who irritated us - one was just irritating and the other couple (on our night in a Specialty) made a point about complaining about how a steak was cooked to several people, but then repeatedly refused the offer for a new steak to be prepared for them. It escalated to the Head Chef visiting our table and them still carping. That was uncomfortable. Everyone else we shared with was an absolute blast and it made the trip more fun as we frequently found them aboard the ship or on some of the ship's tours.

We love to share. Only once in many shared dinners did we have an awful experience. It was a table for 4 with a very opinionated and boorish couple. We are pretty easy going and love meeting new people. This dinner was really BAD. Since then, we ask for six or more fun people. We have not been disappointed.

On our most recent cruise, every time we went to the Main Dining Room (which was most nights - we like table service and the variety offered there), the Maitre D' asked us for our room number and if we would like to share a table or dine alone. This question was asked of people in front of us as well when there was a line so I think everyone is asked the question.

If you would like to share a table, you will always be sharing a table with other diners who also wish to share a table. What is not certain is how many others you will be sharing with, and I don't think you have an option over that.

Edited by ShopperfiendTO

It's true that when you way you want to share, you don't interview the other contestants. But we've almost always had delightful companions, and on occasion it has been a spectacular pairing.

In particular I remember a table for six where we were ALL musicians.

I do remember a couple on our first NCL cruise in 2001 where we were at a table with them twice (these were 6-8 people tables). They weren't horrible, but we had little in common with them. When we were signing in for dinner one night I saw that we would end up with them again and we deliberately moved back in the line.

There have been a couple of times maybe where we had a pleasant evening with strangers, but usually it's been positive.

Of course, I don't know what these people thought of US!

I do think that people who are willing to dine with strangers are aware of the possible downsides.

I've read here recently of some real disasters with these kind of pairings, but we have NEVER had that experience.

Mura

On our most recent cruise, every time we went to the Main Dining Room (which was most nights - we like table service and the variety offered there), the Maitre D' asked us for our room number and if we would like to share a table or dine alone. This question was asked of people in front of us as well when there was a line so I think everyone is asked the question.

If you would like to share a table, you will always be sharing a table with other diners who also wish to share a table. What is not certain is how many others you will be sharing with, and I don't think you have an option over that.

We have asked for a table of 4 or 6 depending on our mood that evening ...no problem getting a choice in the GDR but timing is everything