Flightseeing in Talkeetna

cruiseguy1016

We'll be doing a DIY land tour in Alaska before our cruise next year. The thing I want to do more than anything is to take a flightseeing tour of Mt. Denali. I've done enough research to know that if I want to flightsee Denali, it's best to do it from Talkeetna. There are two companies that come highly recommended, K2 Aviation and Talkeetna Air Taxi. I'm trying to decide which one to book with so I'm looking for input from anyone that has flown with either of these two companies. Is one any better than the other? Their prices are the same and their routes are comparable so I'm not sure if there is any difference. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

We may have first-hand feedback in early August. We are doing a DIY cruise tour calling Talkeetna Cabins home for 3 days. Depending upon the weather, we may try K2 Aviation.

Please report back with your experience. I'm very interested in your experience.

We just got back and used K2. They were very professional and it was first class from start to finish. It was the highlight of our 16-day cruisetour. Any specific question?

Well, yes, I do have a few questions. :D How many passengers did the plane hold? Did everyone have a window seat? Was one side of the plane better for views? What route did you take? Did you do a glacier landing?

I have flown with both companies. What is MORE important is for you to determine your choice of route- that is going to narrow down some choices of vendor.

With it such a priority for you, I'd also suggest you look further at flying out of Denali/Healy and Anchorage. I've been in and flown out of Talkeetna, numerous times, but once, no flights for the 4 days I was there- split. I've also had a fair number of cancellations and alternative tours offered, depending on bookings/schedules and weather.

I wouldn't suggest scheduling your time too tightly if you are interested in flightseeing, along with, maybe, scheduling at your first opportunity. (I've been known to fly out more than once per visit :) )

Well, yes, I do have a few questions. :D How many passengers did the plane hold? Did everyone have a window seat? Was one side of the plane better for views? What route did you take? Did you do a glacier landing?

Depends on the aircraft. Looking further, you can contact the vendor directly and determine what plane/s you are getting. Some vendors, assign seats, so you sit where they tell you. :)

I have mostly done the summit trips, since those are my priority, but have done the "regular" summit views, and also glacier landings. Routes aren't necessarily "fixed", like you may be thinking. The trip is never a repeat for me, something new to experience, every trip.

Depends on the aircraft. Looking further, you can contact the vendor directly and determine what plane/s you are getting. Some vendors, assign seats, so you sit where they tell you. :)

I have mostly done the summit trips, since those are my priority, but have done the "regular" summit views, and also glacier landings. Routes aren't necessarily "fixed", like you may be thinking. The trip is never a repeat for me, something new to experience, every trip.

My desire is to circle Denali. I'd like to see it from all sides. I have heard that flights are not as good from Denali as they are from Talkeetna. It sounds like you have done both. Are flights from Denali comparable to those from Talkeetna? Are there less weather cancelations from Denali? This is something that we are really looking forward to and we want to do it right.

My desire is to circle Denali. I'd like to see it from all sides. I have heard that flights are not as good from Denali as they are from Talkeetna. It sounds like you have done both. Are flights from Denali comparable to those from Talkeetna? Are there less weather cancelations from Denali? This is something that we are really looking forward to and we want to do it right.

What you "heard" doesn't even make sense? It's the same "Denali". It depends what tour/route you book. It does take more, time to go from Talkeetna.

It's important to pick the route you want. Refer to the maps on vendor websites. Nothing beats going over the top, for me. :) And, yes, I have had excellent flights out of both locations.

What you "heard" doesn't even make sense? It's the same "Denali". It depends what tour/route you book. It does take more, time to go from Talkeetna.

It's important to pick the route you want. Refer to the maps on vendor websites. Nothing beats going over the top, for me. :) And, yes, I have had excellent flights out of both locations.

Budget Queen - You've bee a big help so far. Thank you. Since you've "been there, done that" can I bother you for more advice then? We want to see circle Denali (Mt. McKinley) so we can see all sides of it. We'd also like to do a glacier landing as part of the flight. The two tours that really seem to be drawing me in are the "Summit" and the "Grand Denali" with Talkeetna Air Taxi. Have you experienced either of those?

If you go to page 3 on this Alaska board & find the following post on May31st, you will find some pictures of our flight. We were very pleased with pilot & the information from him about our flight & facts about the area. We used Talkeetna Air Taxi. The Glacier landing was spectacular.

Post: Some pictures from our trip September 2015 in Alaska

Happy Travels, John

Budget Queen - You've bee a big help so far. Thank you. Since you've "been there, done that" can I bother you for more advice then? We want to see circle Denali (Mt. McKinley) so we can see all sides of it. We'd also like to do a glacier landing as part of the flight. The two tours that really seem to be drawing me in are the "Summit" and the "Grand Denali" with Talkeetna Air Taxi. Have you experienced either of those?

I have flown both those routes. My preference are summit flights. I like going over the top. :) This does NOT mean the "circle" tours aren't also excellent- they are.