Island Princess- why so many bad reviews?

Gatormomma

Remember this, empty barrels make the most noise.

So many negative reviews are over inane situations that just make me roar w laughter (knives facing the wrong way, having to wait 5 mins for something) that I instantly form an image/opinion of the poster that is definitely less than flattering image in my mind's eye.

If any ship had half the problems as what the empty barrels purport, the line would be out of business.

You're going to have a great time (despite which way the knives are facing :D)!!

Edited by Viesczy

Remember this, empty barrels make the most noise.

So many negative reviews are over inane situations that just make me roar w laughter (knives facing the wrong way, having to wait 5 mins for something) that I instantly form an image/opinion of the poster that is definitely less than flattering image in my mind's eye.

If any ship had half the problems as what the empty barrels purport, the line would be out of business.

You're going to have a great time (despite which way the knives are facing :D)!!

I just read through this topic again and not one person complained about knives being placed the wrong way or 5 minutes waits. They have on the other hand mentioned specifics (largely the result of the modifications that might impact different people in different ways). Compared to her sister ship this include:

The gym being totally inside and not having a ocean view while working out (The only Princess ship with this situation),

The elimination of the Universal Lounge (though on most ships it is called the Vista Lounge) in the rear of the ship (with the exception of the Pacific Princess a situation unique to the Island) leaving Explorers as the only major alternative entertainment venue to the main theater (though on most ships it is called the Vista Lounge). There is still the plaza area, but it is not a similar venue to Explorers, Universal (Vista).

The lack of an International Cafe. Something shared on a few other Princess ships, but very few.

The termination of the promenade pathway. Not shared with most Princess ships, except for the new ones.

The increase in passenger count compared to her sister ship, added on to the elimination of the one lounge. Island carries 10% more passenger then her sister ship with the same crew size.

Now one could try and cut down other people opinions and talk about knives turned the wrong way or you can actually have a discussion about how these items, somewhat unique to the Island, may or may not impact one experience on that ship, compared to other ships in the Princess fleet. Usually in a debate those who do not add to the discussion subtract from it by trying to criticize the other participants.

Different people have different opinions and they are pretty much equally valid. The reader, who knows what is important to them, can decide how much each item is or is not important to them.

One can still enjoy a cruise on the Island, but there are specific differences compared to the rest of the Princess Fleet and especially to her sister ship.

It is interesting that since the modification Princess has put the ship on fairly unique routes where if one wants to do the itinerary on Princess they pretty much have to go on the Island (Full passage Panama Canal, 60 days around South America). Prior to that mod they had the Coral doing many of the full passage through the canal.

Edited by RDC1

I think these are pictures that you were looking for.:D Just click on them and they will get a little bigger. You might also need to be logged in to Cruise Critic to see them.

Thanks so much for the pictures. Will definitely give that a try. Some say it's all u can eat...others say no. What was your experience?

Thanks so much for the pictures. Will definitely give that a try. Some say it's all u can eat...others say no. What was your experience?

On our cruise, it was all you could eat. We each got a full pot with two giant king crab legs and about a pound of shrimp. I've also read the reports where others received only one pot to share for two people. :( Or that the crab legs weren't king crab legs.

We had wonderful service on the Island two years ago, so hopefully you will have the same experience.

I would also like to add that those who had an aft cabin balcony on the retrofit (Promenade and up) WERE NOT ALLOWED TO USE THEIR BALCONY going through the canal for safety reasons. Might want to take that into consideration when anyone decides to book. Who at Princess thought that one through?

I've booked PR702 and was told that it would only be one day that we could NOT use our balcony and they offered us the Sanctuary Scenic Package: Reserved Seat for the Day [for two]; Fruit/Yogurt/Cold Towels/Champagne/Photo and a Hurricane Glass souvenir. Since we would be out and about anyway, the alternative sounded good for us. We also got the Sip & Sail Package which gets us all drinks, all day for 19 days. If we changed our cabin we would lose the package. I think we're going to keep what we've got.

It doesn't mean we can't use our cabin just the veranda will be used for most of the day by the crew. It'll be fun to try something new!!!!

I've booked PR702 and was told that it would only be one day that we could NOT use our balcony and they offered us the Sanctuary Scenic Package: Reserved Seat for the Day [for two]; Fruit/Yogurt/Cold Towels/Champagne/Photo and a Hurricane Glass souvenir. Since we would be out and about anyway, the alternative sounded good for us. We also got the Sip & Sail Package which gets us all drinks, all day for 19 days. If we changed our cabin we would lose the package. I think we're going to keep what we've got.

It doesn't mean we can't use our cabin just the veranda will be used for most of the day by the crew. It'll be fun to try something new!!!!

This is very disconcerting! We are booked on the Island Princess for a 10-day partial Panama Canal and booked an Aft Suite for the day that we are in the Canal. If we cannot use the balcony on that day, we will probably cancel the cruise.

Who told you that you could not use the balcony and who offered the sanctuary? We have not heard from anybody about this issue.

Thanks,

Lori

Did the Ocean to South America and it was great The Pacific is doing some great trips. Check it out. Saw the Island as we followed it through the canal. Ugly ship. Glad we were on the Ocean( sold)

This is very disconcerting! We are booked on the Island Princess for a 10-day partial Panama Canal and booked an Aft Suite for the day that we are in the Canal. If we cannot use the balcony on that day, we will probably cancel the cruise.

Who told you that you could not use the balcony and who offered the sanctuary? We have not heard from anybody about this issue.

Thanks,

Lori

It's on the "Travel Summary". Here's the exact wording:

NOTIFICATIONS

PROMENADE DECK BALCONY ADVISORY

Please be advised that due to operational and safety reasons, guests in BE-category cabins located on the Promenade deck will be unable to access their

balcony while the ship is in the locks on Canal transit day.

When traveling through the canal, heavy cables are attached to the ship to help guide the vessel through the locks to maintain its correct position. As these

cables are strung near the Promenade deck, as a safety measure access to these balconies will be restricted during the Panama Canal transit.

Please note this only applies to Promenade deck balconies, and will only apply when the ship is in the locks; guests will be able to use these balconies at all

other times.

If you are in a balcony cabin on any other deck, please disregard this message.

If you aren't on the Promenade deck, then it doesn't apply to you.

We also received a phone call from Princess advising us that if we didn't want the Sanctuary package, we could each have a $60.00 shipboard credit. If we end up taking a tour on "Canal Day", then we might ask for the credit instead of the Sanctuary.

It's on the "Travel Summary". Here's the exact wording:

NOTIFICATIONS

PROMENADE DECK BALCONY ADVISORY

Please be advised that due to operational and safety reasons, guests in BE-category cabins located on the Promenade deck will be unable to access their

balcony while the ship is in the locks on Canal transit day.

When traveling through the canal, heavy cables are attached to the ship to help guide the vessel through the locks to maintain its correct position. As these

cables are strung near the Promenade deck, as a safety measure access to these balconies will be restricted during the Panama Canal transit.

Please note this only applies to Promenade deck balconies, and will only apply when the ship is in the locks; guests will be able to use these balconies at all

other times.

If you are in a balcony cabin on any other deck, please disregard this message.

If you aren't on the Promenade deck, then it doesn't apply to you.

We also received a phone call from Princess advising us that if we didn't want the Sanctuary package, we could each have a $60.00 shipboard credit. If we end up taking a tour on "Canal Day", then we might ask for the credit instead of the Sanctuary.

Thanks you so much! It looks like we are good as we are on the Aloha deck.