We have a new baby boy, when should we start cruising again?

Niche79

My DD, her DH and 11 1/2 month old daughter went on a 4 night RCI cruise on the Independence of the Seas last January and had a blast. This was a family vacation bookended by a couple of days visiting grandma and grandpa (we even offered to take the baby but the parents insisted that they didn't get to spend enough time with her). As others have recommended, they took lots of supplies including a small inflatable pool (great for time on deck and for bath time in the shower) and an umbrella stroller. Independence of the Seas also has a small splash pool for swim diapered babies (about 2 inches deep) that she loved. DD said the staff couldn't have been more accommodating and treated the baby like royalty. As soon as they disembarked they began planning another cruise this coming winter (with a whole new set of challenges with a 2 year old :D).

My son cruised for the first time at 10 months. We were with family and took turns babysitting all the kids. He loved it and will be going on his sixth cruise the day after his seventh birthday. Of course things are different than before. But we love the family time and exploring things through his eyes.

One thing you do have to prepare for is the ship will probably not have anything you would need. We always brought blow up pool, basic first aid stuff including powdered Pedialyte, plenty of diapers and wipes, favorite snacks and toys.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My experience is that all babies and infants and even parents are different.

Once your child is at the age allowed to sail then make the decision based on when you feel comfortable with a cruise with your child. You are the one who will know best.

Keith

Hi guys!

So a few months ago we had our first baby and we haven't been cruising since November of last year and my wife asked me if I would want to do a cruise around September for a few days to see how it goes with him. My question is when is a good starting point to take him, we would just do a 3 or 4 day cruise out of Port Canaveral or something just to try it out for now. I would love to hear when everyone began taking their children on cruises and how it went?

Thanks! :D

It's nice to have help when you cruise with very small children, we did cruise with our 3 kids at 8, 10, and 12 years old. Never went when they were younger, but we would have if we had like a grandparent with us to help. I always smile when I see young kids on a cruise, I enjoy seeing them. Just a side note our 3 children are now successful adults, with fond memories and are at decent loyalty levels for any future cruises. And kids learn how to act properly, interact with strangers, proper etiquette, formal dining etc. some kids have to take classes in college for this. Keep this in mind your children get an education while cruising in many interactions with others.