Specialty dining question

cafelovercanada

We will be on the Coral on June 11. We have complimentary specialty dining tickets received when we booked last year. I want to enjoy the experience of a formal night and we have a late ending tour on day 4 of our cruise. Does anyone have any recommendations as to the best night to use these passes? Are MDR menus posted in the patters? Do we need to reserve as soon as we board? Is there a better night when the restaurants aren't so busy? Should we try Sabatinis instead? Any thoughts from CC posters would be greatly appreciated.

We will be on the Coral on June 11. We have complimentary specialty dining tickets received when we booked last year. I want to enjoy the experience of a formal night and we have a late ending tour on day 4 of our cruise. Does anyone have any recommendations as to the best night to use these passes? Are MDR menus posted in the patters? Do we need to reserve as soon as we board? Is there a better night when the restaurants aren't so busy? Should we try Sabatinis instead? Any thoughts from CC posters would be greatly appreciated.

You'll get better responses if you post this on the subforum for whichever cruise line you are taking.

"Specialties" are different on different cruise lines.

We are just off the Coral Princess! (see recent review)

We did ask once about getting the weeks MDR menus, and were told this was not possible. Of course, the menu for the night is posted each morning on the board in front of each MDR.

If you are interested in Crab Shack, do make those reservations early, as this seems to be very popular on this cruise.

I would book this on the first night it is available, as the next night is Crab Legs and Seafood in the MDR. So I will assume that this might not be the night most would choose to book Crab Shack, if informed. I believe they did offer Crab Shack a third time at the end of the cruise.

We found the food in the MDR to be very good! (felt the buffet was poor) I will try to remember the schedule of menus for each night.

First night we had the embarkation Prime Rib menu. The Prime Rib was good by cruise ship standards.

When southbound, this first night is open seating, due to the late departure from Whittier.

the next night was the first Formal Night and the Captain's Welcome champagne waterfall.

I am thinking the next night, we dined at Bayou Cafe. (possibly Italian night?)

I can't seem to remember everything, but for the rest of the week, I believe we had Crab Legs and seafood n the MDR.

I had a nice Lobster Tail with large Prawn, and my husband had a generous Beef Wellington.

On the last evening, which is the standard 'American' night, with Turkey and Meatloaf on the menu, we ordered what our waiter called the New York Strip Sirloin. It wasn't too bad!

Hope this helps a little.

Edited by Wishing on a star

• 3 weeks later...

This is like a specialty dining option, like a crab/seafood boil (crab leg pot), that is offered in a section of the Horizon Court Buffet that is set up. It is an extra fee, like the other specialty restaurants. I believe it was offered 2 or three nights on our cruise. Most people really really like this. It usually gets good reviews.

We are just off the Coral Princess! (see recent review)

We did ask once about getting the weeks MDR menus, and were told this was not possible. Of course, the menu for the night is posted each morning on the board in front of each MDR.

If you are interested in Crab Shack, do make those reservations early, as this seems to be very popular on this cruise.

I would book this on the first night it is available, as the next night is Crab Legs and Seafood in the MDR. So I will assume that this might not be the night most would choose to book Crab Shack, if informed. I believe they did offer Crab Shack a third time at the end of the cruise.

We found the food in the MDR to be very good! (felt the buffet was poor) I will try to remember the schedule of menus for each night.

First night we had the embarkation Prime Rib menu. The Prime Rib was good by cruise ship standards.

When southbound, this first night is open seating, due to the late departure from Whittier.

the next night was the first Formal Night and the Captain's Welcome champagne waterfall.

I am thinking the next night, we dined at Bayou Cafe. (possibly Italian night?)

I can't seem to remember everything, but for the rest of the week, I believe we had Crab Legs and seafood n the MDR.

I had a nice Lobster Tail with large Prawn, and my husband had a generous Beef Wellington.

On the last evening, which is the standard 'American' night, with Turkey and Meatloaf on the menu, we ordered what our waiter called the New York Strip Sirloin. It wasn't too bad!

Hope this helps a little.

Just of the Star Princess last week, and I found this interesting. They must be doing an identical menu, because ours was exactly as you described. We also felt that MDR food was good, I detest buffets in general and went twice for breakfast and embarkation lunch and it pretty much lived up to my expectations.