Poolside Screens Frustration

When they first added the poolside screen to Freedom years back, it was a fine addition. It generally just showed tranquil ocean scenes, "Good Morning XXXX of the Seas", a big view of the poolside competitions, etc.

It seems that as time goes on they are getting more and more intrusive. I began noticing the trend on Enchantment last year and it seems to be getting progressively worse every trip we take. It has transitioned from a nice background feature and showing movies at night to not just showing, but BLARING music videos, movies, and sports games throughout the day and night.

Our favorite place to relax has always been Deck 12 in the sun on the Freedom and Voyager class ships. Our last two trips on Liberty and Independence (both with the big screens), it was unbearable to be poolside during the day. The music videos and movies were literally so loud that you could hear it over your iPod headphones.

A couple times when we were sitting out there mid-morning, before the big screen madness began, people would be on the outer decks relaxing, as soon as the blasting music and movies started, it noticeably cleared out, so I feel like we aren't alone in this frustration.

What do you think?

Well, I am admittedly 43 going on 80, and I *hate* blaring music. A live pool band for a half hour or so lends a nice atmosphere, but other than that, I want my quiet so I can read, relax, and nap! If I wanted loud music I'd bring my iPod. If I wanted to watch a movie I'd...skip the cruise and go to the movies.

The carnival atmosphere does nothing for me on a cruise ship.

I would love a really old-fashioned cruise line that consisted of: shuffleboard, live music at night, skeet shooting off the back decks, and peace and quiet. No piped in music, no waterslides, no belly flop contests. Hey, a girl can dream. I am drooling over the Viking Ocean ship for those exact reasons...gotta get kids through college first!