anyone with experience with Oct/Nov Trans-Atlantic cruises?

more from les

Hi

We are considering the 2006 crossing on Century (leaves Barcelona on Oct 27th - Miami Nov 9). Given that the "hurricane season" officially runs till Nov 30th, we are wondering if any Cruise Critics have had past experience with this sailing in terms of weather and rough seas?

In put from experienced cruisers appreciated.

Les

Weather and sea state is always a "crapshoot" - or as Forrest Gump said "you never know what you're going to get".

We've done several trans-Atlantics - only once in November, on Maasdam, Lisbon to Ft Lauderdale, 1995.

It was very smooth from Lisbon to The Azores, but fairly rough West of the Azores for a couple of nights, and then smoothed out again before Florida.

We were on Main Deck, forward, and flooded out of our cabin. The ship took on water through the hawsepipe (anchor chainway) in heavy seas, and some dozen cabins were flooded, depth about 6 inches. Luckily, there were other cabins available, to which we could be moved.

Travel is often an adventure.

I've done ten crossings so far, and the last three were in the Fall- Late August into Sept, September , and Early November. All three were smooth as glass! I think it's my SO's weather kharma, so if you want to pay us to go with you...:D

Seriously, we haven't had a rough crossing in the Fall- usually because the crossings today are cruises, and speed isn't of the essence as it used to be with regularly scheduled crossings. This gives the Captain much more lattitude in avoiding bad weather.

I say 'go for it!'

Andrew

I'm not an experienced cruiser, but we are doing a Transatlantic leaving Barcelona on Nov. 11 this year. I will come back and let you know how it was;) .

Hope that you know that the date was changed to Nov. 18, or you will be arriving a week early!!

The 2003 Millie trans from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale was during that time frame. We had perfect weather except for two nights (of course both were the poolside buffets). Seas were calm. The Connie left the day before us and ended up following us as they had more ports at the beginning. Unfortunately, they hit the daytime rain.

Did a transatlantic on the Oosterdam in Nov a couple of years ago and it was like a millpond - there was one rough bit between Casablanca and Madeira but that was because we were going full speed to get a sick passenger there. A lot of folks took to their beds but we weren't affected.

2001 Sept 30 crossing on Millennium... smooth as glass.

2002 Sept crossing on Golden Princess... rough, fractured 7 windows on main deck due to rough seas avoiding an hurricane.

Difference: Celebrity makes its own weather or... plain luck, it doesn't matter when you cruise.... you'll love it anyways...

We're booked Millennium again in 2006 and are expecting smooth seas.

• 2 weeks later...

We have just returned from Century's Transatlantic. There was certainly a lot of motion on our crossing, swells of around 25'.

Although we only had one day of continual rain, it was to cold to sit out on deck without being cocooned in towels or blankets, not my idea of fun.

The weather can vary so much on such crossings from week to week never mind year to year. We had booked another Transatlantic for next year, this has now been canncelled and replaced with a B2B in the Caribbean.

Archived