Best way to get from boat to airport

mrtool2u

We are doing cruise in mid june and ending up in Vancouver,what would be our best bet to get to the airport. We are sailing on the Sun. Will be in no hurry,we have 15 hours to get our plane home.

As you have plenty of time how about leaving your luggage at Canada Place, I believe there is a "depot" there that costs about $5 a piece, and go sightseeing if you don't know Vancouver.

Get a one day ticket for ALL normal Vancouver transport.

Go over the water to Lonsdale Quay for a walk round and lunch.

Take the Millennium Line all the way round (changing at Broadway in one direction) to get an overview of Vancouver.

Get the bus to the Stanley Park Aquarium.

Go to the Museum of Anthropology at UBC.

Get the express bus to Horseshoe Bay and have Fish & Chips at Trolls.

Plenty to do in Vancouver if you have lots of time.

Mike

Ok,let me reclarify. We are actually renting a car at the airport,considering driving up to Whistler to take in the sights. We fly out around midnite,but get off the SHIP at around 8am. Like the idea of the tram,give me more info on that. I guess we could leave our luggage at tram station.

Ok,let me reclarify. We are actually renting a car at the airport,considering driving up to Whistler to take in the sights. We fly out around midnite,but get off the SHIP at around 8am. Like the idea of the tram,give me more info on that. I guess we could leave our luggage at tram station.

What tram?

If you are going to the airport to pick up a car there use the Canada Line and then put your luggage in your car.

It is a 2 hour drive each way (135KM) to Whistler if you get a clear run. The airport and Whistler are on opposite sides of Vancouver. Granville St in Vancouver can be a sod at times, plenty of traffic lights. Then you have Lions Gate Bridge another slow one especially at rush hours. Both of these in both directions.

Good luck

Mike

Poor value to rent at the airport! It's more expensive and more time consuming, as you have to drive through downtown twice (free market of course means there will sometimes be a deal that's better than a downtown rental, but there's a significant airport fee applied to all rentals that means it's almost always cheaper, as well as much more convenient, to rent downtown. If you're looking to avoid a drop fee, well, you're already going to have to travel to YVR to get your rental, so if you pick it up and return it downtown you end up with the same one-way trip to the airport by transit or taxi - but in the evening when it's quieter and cheaper, plus no driving through downtown twice).

Whistler's certainly got some pretty scenery, but unless you have already visited Vancouver several times not worth it IMO. It's a ski resort plain & simple, with very little beyond high end restos (we have more and better of those in Vancouver anyway...) and the scenery for seeing, so unless you're going up to ski or bike you can see everything most folks would want to in a few hours. SLCC is a worthy visit, but frankly that's the only thing I'd repeat.

By far the best parts of the drive are early on - so if it's scenery you want, go up to Squamish, see some waterfalls, sea, mountains, grab lunch, and come back. Scheduling your return by late afternoon or earlier is also a good idea - while odds are slim there will be an accident that delays your return enough to miss your plane, the Sea to Sky is still a dangerous road with more than it's fair share of issues and no realistic alternative routes until you're almost back in Vancouver. One idiot paying too much attention to the view and crashing can cause hours of delay...

Simple & cheap. Walk about 200m from Canada Place to the Waterfront Station and take the CANADA line Skytrain directly to YVR. Runs about every 7 minutes and costs CAD2.75.

Mike

On what to do on arrival at the airport, if we take the train to Waterfront

Station are there taxis available. We are at the Metropolitan and don't want to walk several blocks to the hotel?

Poor value to rent at the airport! It's more expensive and more time consuming, as you have to drive through downtown twice (free market of course means there will sometimes be a deal that's better than a downtown rental, but there's a significant airport fee applied to all rentals that means it's almost always cheaper, as well as much more convenient, to rent downtown. If you're looking to avoid a drop fee, well, you're already going to have to travel to YVR to get your rental, so if you pick it up and return it downtown you end up with the same one-way trip to the airport by transit or taxi - but in the evening when it's quieter and cheaper, plus no driving through downtown twice).

Whistler's certainly got some pretty scenery, but unless you have already visited Vancouver several times not worth it IMO. It's a ski resort plain & simple, with very little beyond high end restos (we have more and better of those in Vancouver anyway...) and the scenery for seeing, so unless you're going up to ski or bike you can see everything most folks would want to in a few hours. SLCC is a worthy visit, but frankly that's the only thing I'd repeat.

By far the best parts of the drive are early on - so if it's scenery you want, go up to Squamish, see some waterfalls, sea, mountains, grab lunch, and come back. Scheduling your return by late afternoon or earlier is also a good idea - while odds are slim there will be an accident that delays your return enough to miss your plane, the Sea to Sky is still a dangerous road with more than it's fair share of issues and no realistic alternative routes until you're almost back in Vancouver. One idiot paying too much attention to the view and crashing can cause hours of delay...

Generally agree with all of this. Have not been to SLCC though.

Don't know about the actual cost in Vancouver but there was a far higher airport hire cost in Bellingham ($40?) when compared to in town hire.

Mike

On what to do on arrival at the airport, if we take the train to Waterfront

Station are there taxis available. We are at the Metropolitan and don't want to walk several blocks to the hotel?

If you get off the Canada Line at Vancouver City Centre station you will have to walk two half blocks.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Metropolitan+Hotel+Vancouver/@49.2833117,-123.1185459,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x5486717f59923955:0x2ec104f4d04ddfa9!8m2!3d49.2839794!4d-123.1182183

Mike

I don't know about that city specifically but as a general rule, Uber.

First time around, I did one of those tour-to-the-airport deals. I fell asleep on the bus.

there's no Uber in Vancouver :(

it's just taxi's... but for Waterfront to the airport I would definitely take the Canada Line. check the "trip planning" function on the Translink website.