Best ships for water slides?

jjrmather

I posted this on the RC board and there were some comments about Norwegian. Any thoughts?

"We are considering taking our 13 and 17 year old on their first cruise. Both of them LOVE water slides. Suggestions? Thank you."

My only first-hand experience is on NCL's Getaway which has 5 water slides. 2 are side by side free-fall drop slides where a trap door opens to release you into the tube (minimum weight to ride is 100 lbs), 2 are traditional water slides that you sit down to enter and 1 was a smaller, slower slide in the kids area. We enjoyed all of them except the last which was geared towards smaller kids.

NCL Escape has the free fall slides as well, but added a new slide that uses single or double inflatable inner tubes. This one has a clear (translucent) section of the slide that gives you a view over the side of the ship and lots of flashing colored lights in the inside sections. Looks like an absolute blast- google 'Aqua Racer' slide on Escape for POV videos.

Since I do a lot of reading and looking at pictures/reviews on this board, it looks as the the Epic also has some fun slides including the one that deposits you into a large basin at the bottom where you spin around until you exit into the middle.

I think (but not 100% sure) that RCL just added their very first water slides on the brand new Harmony of the Seas.

Some of the newer Carnival ships also have their "Fun Ships 2.0" with water slides, but I have no specific details here.

Hope this helps!

NCL Escape has the free fall slides as well, but added a new slide that uses single or double inflatable inner tubes. This one has a clear (translucent) section of the slide that gives you a view over the side of the ship and lots of flashing colored lights in the inside sections. Looks like an absolute blast- google 'Aqua Racer' slide on Escape for POV videos.

This might surprise you, but there are no flashing lights in the Aqua Racer. The effects are from natural sunlight coming through the designs on the slide.

This might surprise you, but there are no flashing lights in the Aqua Racer. The effects are from natural sunlight coming through the designs on the slide.

Learn something new everyday :) I really thought there were lights from the many videos I've seen. Still looks cool, though!

I have done the escape and getaway slides. If were to decide between the two I would pick the escape for the aqua racer tube slide both ships have the drop slides. Both ships also have a huge ropes course, rock climbing wall and basketball court. Plus much more!! Your kids would love it I think!

I have done the escape and getaway slides. If were to decide between the two I would pick the escape for the aqua racer tube slide both ships have the drop slides. Both ships also have a huge ropes course, rock climbing wall and basketball court. Plus much more!! Your kids would love it I think!

Escape does not have a rock climbing wall.

Also, the ropes course on Escape is two levels, and on Getaway it's only one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I posted this on the RC board and there were some comments about Norwegian. Any thoughts?

"We are considering taking our 13 and 17 year old on their first cruise. Both of them LOVE water slides. Suggestions? Thank you."

The breakaway and breakaway plus class has great slides. Drop slides, fast twisting slides and one more that is more tame. Tube slide on the Escape although I have never been on the Escape, I have recently sailed on the breakaway and the slides were a big hit.

Edited by Irene7

Most memorable slide for us in NCL history is the Epic toilet bowl one...

I like the GA/BA slides - they are quite fast.

Wasn't too impress with the escape slide...

Side note - a rock climbing wall is what you find on the RCCL...NCL is too small