JFK And Customs Procedures

Berea John

I am an American who will be returning to from Barcelona to JFK on Delta AIR.

I have never flown international before.

Will the airline have given me my checked luggage prior to going thru customs/ passport/security ?

I will be connecting out of JFK TO Cleveland. What happens with my luggage that will not be carried on? Do i have to go to Delta flight counter and re-check luggage or will someone take that luggage right after going thru customs and send it to my Cleveland flight home? With my carry ons do i then need to go thru TSA security line? I will arrive about 6.00 pm on a Wednesday. Any ideas how long the process will take from debarking plane in JFK and getting to new concourse for flight to home? I have a 3 hr layover in JFK. Any info on the whole process will be appreciated !:)

Your checked luggage will be tagged through to your final destination but you will have to pick it up in NY.

Typically, after leaving the plane, you will first go through immigration. You will only have with you whatever you took on the plane. (I love it when the immigration officer says Welcome Home :D)

After that, you go to the baggage carousel where you will pick up your luggage. Then you go through customs, which might simply be handing a form to the customs agent. There will be a line for stuff to declare and a line for no declaration. Assuming you have nothing to declare, you'll walk through the no declaration line. Quick and easy.

For what happens next, someone more familiar with JFK than me will have to answer. I know at some airports it is a simple matter to recheck your luggage. On the other side to customs there are airplane employees ready to take the checked luggage for shipment to final destination. I know it is that way with AA in Miami.

If you have to change terminals, you will definitely have to go through security again and I believe that will be the case in JFK .. simply because we've done domestic to international (and the reverse) but on a different airline.

Three hours should be enough time.

Sorry I couldn't give you a complete answer ... I'm sure there will be someone on the board who can give you more info. You may also want to post this on the East Coast departures forum.

Clarifications and amplifications and corrections:

Your checked luggage will be tagged through to your final destination but you will have to pick it up in NY.
By pick it up, you will have it in your possession as you pass through USA Customs.
Typically, after leaving the plane, you will first go through immigration. You will only have with you whatever you took on the plane. (I love it when the immigration officer says Welcome Home :D)
From leaving the aircraft, you will be in a secured area where you can only head to USA immigration. You go to the line for US Citizens. Then, you will be processed through an APC kiosk. All members of your family get processed together. This will involve passport scanning and a photograph. Take off any glasses or hats - look straight ahead. You need for the photo to match the biometrics in your passport. APC details HERE. IF you have no hiccup at APC, you will get printout slips with your photo and other info. If there is no X on the page, an agent will wave you through to baggage carousels. If there is an X, you need to see an agent for face-to-face processing.
After that, you go to the baggage carousel where you will pick up your luggage. Then you go through customs, which might simply be handing a form to the customs agent. There will be a line for stuff to declare and a line for no declaration. Assuming you have nothing to declare, you'll walk through the no declaration line. Quick and easy.
You will actually be in a big line (or parallel lines) to the customs agent. You may be waved through after you turn in your paperwork or you may be pulled aside for additional inspection. Also, if one of the beagles sniffs you out, you get the Ag inspection.
For what happens next, someone more familiar with JFK than me will have to answer. I know at some airports it is a simple matter to recheck your luggage. On the other side to customs there are airplane employees ready to take the checked luggage for shipment to final destination. I know it is that way with AA in Miami.
There is a baggage drop-off location after you have cleared the customs area. Drop off your checked luggage there.
If you have to change terminals, you will definitely have to go through security again and I believe that will be the case in JFK .. simply because we've done domestic to international (and the reverse) but on a different airline.
ALL passengers from an international flight will go through standard TSA security to proceed to their connecting flight. If you have purchased any duty-free liquor or other liquids, they need to be in your checked bags or they will be confiscated. Do that AFTER customs but before you drop off your bags at the bag drop area.
Three hours should be enough time.
Usually yes, but sometimes it may not. Lines can be horrific at JFK, both for immigration and TSA. Or they can be minimal. All depends on where you are in the incoming flow from overseas. Be prepared to hustle if you are on of those interminable queues. Also, you may have a significant hike within T4 at JFK, and you might also have to take a bus to T2. If to T2, be sure to stay airside you only do TSA once. Edited by FlyerTalker

(I love it when the immigration officer says Welcome Home :D)

Still waiting for this. :eek: I think they are trained to be a surly as possible. Thankfully with Global Entry I don't have to deal with many of them anymore.

Clarifications and amplifications and corrections:...

ALL passengers from an international flight will go through standard TSA security to proceed to their connecting flight. If you have purchased any duty-free liquor or other liquids, they need to be in your checked bags or they will be confiscated. Do that AFTER customs but before you drop off your bags at the bag drop area….

For any liquids bought in duty free at your departure airport, at least the alcohol, be sure it is placed in one of the new (for a year or so) tamper-sealed plastic bags. These bags are supposed to allow transit of your duty-free purchase through TSA. The clerk may pull you aside to "test" the bottles - open the bag, swab the bottle, re-seal the bag.

I've done this a few times in the past year, from both Europe and Puerto Rico. All bottles came home with me. The standard TSA caveat applies - idiots being idiots, you may encounter one who still requires you to "voluntarily surrender" your purchase - ask for a supervisor if this happens...

Thanks for the update on the STEB. Over the last year, my international trips have had me buying liquor locally, not at DF shops or I've been direct into the USA without a domestic connect. Mostly picking up interesting stuff not sold at DF. But now I know for my next trip through NRT, where the pricing on GOOD Japanese whiskey is superb.

and you might also have to take a bus to T2. If to T2, be sure to stay airside you only do TSA once.

Thanks for all the info on JFK. I'm looking into a trip to the UK, also on DL. Coming back I'll be changing in JFK going to YYZ. Since most flights to YYZ are on RJ's I'm assuming I will have to transfer to T2. What I can't find is where the airside bus leaves from T4 to go to T2. Do you go thru TSA at T4 as if you were leaving from that terminal and then find the airside bus? No indication on any terminal maps where this would be. Normally airports advise what gate (area) the bus is located. Any knowledge?

Thanks again for your (and others) help.

For any liquids bought in duty free at your departure airport, at least the alcohol, be sure it is placed in one of the new (for a year or so) tamper-sealed plastic bags. These bags are supposed to allow transit of your duty-free purchase through TSA. The clerk may pull you aside to "test" the bottles - open the bag, swab the bottle, re-seal the bag.

I've done this a few times in the past year, from both Europe and Puerto Rico. All bottles came home with me. The standard TSA caveat applies - idiots being idiots, you may encounter one who still requires you to "voluntarily surrender" your purchase - ask for a supervisor if this happens...

Thank you for this information cuz I'll be in Puerto Rico next month.

But i'm curious since the airlines consider Puerto Rico a domestic flight will I be able to buy Duty free at the airport there?

Thank you for this information cuz I'll be in Puerto Rico next month.

But i'm curious since the airlines consider Puerto Rico a domestic flight will I be able to buy Duty free at the airport there?

Yes. There is a rather large Duty Free area right as you leave the TSA checkpoint in Terminal 2 (where everyone is other than Jet Blue). I bought a few good bottles of sipping rum there before boarding my flight. I specifically asked them to put it in the plastic bag before putting it the cloth carry bag they use. Someone had said before here that they didn't plastic bag and then they went through TSA at their connecting airport and had to "voluntarily surrender" the booze. If the clerk is hesitant to double-bag, just tell them you are changing terminals on the next stop and you need to go through TSA again...

Yes. There is a rather large Duty Free area right as you leave the TSA checkpoint in Terminal 2 (where everyone is other than Jet Blue). I bought a few good bottles of sipping rum there before boarding my flight. I specifically asked them to put it in the plastic bag before putting it the cloth carry bag they use. Someone had said before here that they didn't plastic bag and then they went through TSA at their connecting airport and had to "voluntarily surrender" the booze. If the clerk is hesitant to double-bag, just tell them you are changing terminals on the next stop and you need to go through TSA again...

Thank you!

Thanks for the update on the STEB. Over the last year, my international trips have had me buying liquor locally, not at DF shops or I've been direct into the USA without a domestic connect. Mostly picking up interesting stuff not sold at DF. But now I know for my next trip through NRT, where the pricing on GOOD Japanese whiskey is superb.

I bought some bottles of wine from one of the duty-free stores in FCO last year. I knew the brands, so I was happy I could finally bring some home again. Now, if I could find some of those baggies and put some of my liquids purchased from some "in town" locations and bring home…

Have fun DF shopping at NRT!!

Edited by slidergirl