fly the summit

Liz315

What do you think my chances are of getting on a summit flight last minute? Driving up from Anchorage on a Tuesday, will be stopping along the way to enjoy the area. I don't know what time I'll be rolling into Talkeetna and I don't want to book a time then stress about getting there in time. If the weather is crappy I will just continue on to Denali. I will be staying at The Kantishna Roadhouse stating on Wednesday and I've requested to flight see on the way out of the park on Saturday. I have tried to fly the summit before from Anchorage but was weathered out. I guess this gives me a few more opportunities to see it. I don't want to plan a flight after Denali in Talkeetna because I want to head to Matanuska as soon as we get back to park entrance on Saturday. Kantishna has said that if we can't fly out that their bus will have us back by 11am.

There are a lot fewer summit flights scheduled/available, and they aren't easy to get walk up, without being flexible with your time. Are they offered out of Kantishna? I've not heard of it.

With your perimeters, you are going to have to be accepting of not getting a summit flight.

Thank you BQ, I was just thinking same thing, I know there is Kantishna air taxi service that is located out by the Roadhouse, I will inquire about a summit flight from there during our stay. They are the ones we will be using if we choose to fly out of Kantishna on our last morning. We will keep trying for a summit flight from one of our stops. I did my first 'once in a lifetime' Alaska trip 3 years ago and this will be my 3rd trip back since!:D We do a lot of flight seeing on each trip so If I don't get to the summit this trip I'm sure I will on my next. All of the info from everyone on these boards has been invaluable to me, Thank you :)

Thank you BQ, I was just thinking same thing, I know there is Kantishna air taxi service that is located out by the Roadhouse, I will inquire about a summit flight from there during our stay. They are the ones we will be using if we choose to fly out of Kantishna on our last morning. We will keep trying for a summit flight from one of our stops. I did my first 'once in a lifetime' Alaska trip 3 years ago and this will be my 3rd trip back since!:D We do a lot of flight seeing on each trip so If I don't get to the summit this trip I'm sure I will on my next. All of the info from everyone on these boards has been invaluable to me, Thank you :)

Kantishna Air Taxi doesn't do summit flights. I recommend this company in Healy- http://www.denalisummitflight.com/summittour/

Perfect, thank you. Staying at Lakeview Inn in Healy the night before and not scheduled to get on Kantishna bus until around noon, maybe I could do this flight either in the am or night before or upon landing on Saturday. I appreciate the link, thanks.:)

BQ, since you have done the summit flights....do you actually use the oxygen provided? I'm a bit confused on the difference between the regular sight seeing flights and the summit flights (aside from the views). Thank you.

BQ, since you have done the summit flights....do you actually use the oxygen provided? I'm a bit confused on the difference between the regular sight seeing flights and the summit flights (aside from the views). Thank you.

Yes, always. Summits fly over 20,000 feet. O2 is needed. Big difference than the summit "view" flights.

This is just my preference in the available Denali flying tours. I certainly have greatly enjoyed them all.

OP - we did a summit flight in 2007 so I can't give you any advice but I want to wish you success and a clear day. We have traveled all our lives and this was the single, most memorable excursion we have ever taken (even if I was nervous the entire time - especially when we were using the oxygen masks). The beauty of the mountain leaves an indelible memory.