Packing

Minnie29

We always have nail scissors in our hand luggage and have never had them taken away or even questioned.

The website only mentions packing them in hold luggage for fly cruises. Hopefully I didn't give Minnie29 duff information.

We always have nail scissors in our hand luggage and have never had them taken away or even questioned.

Not sure with Cunard.

I know of a situation on Celebrity where scissors were taken from a person. They had forgotten to bring their own and bought a pair at one of the stop over ports. When they returned to the ship the scissors were confiscated. Didn't make much sense to me as others had them on the ship because they brought them in their checked bags.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi --

The restrictions are not the same for going through security to board the ship as they are at airports. We've always packed our nail scissors, however, because we rarely drive from home to a port.

I did have a tiny electric fan (like 6") in my checked luggage taken out of my suitcase on Celebrity once before they delivered it. They said they thought it was an IRON. Really? With no flat surface?

Cathy (and Bob)

REALLY!! Celebrity could not tell a small fan from an iron! That's hysterically funny.

And ~~~this is such nonsense about not being allowed to bring an iron.

On CUNARD all the self-service laundromats ( there's one on each deck that has cabins/staterooms) ~~~ also has an iron and an ironing board.

And, so far, no CUNARD ship has burned down cause some careless person mishandled an iron.

... And ~~~this is such nonsense about not being allowed to bring an iron.

On CUNARD all the self-service laundromats ( there's one on each deck that has cabins/staterooms) ...

Hi hihilo

Not strictly correct; on QM2 for example, cabin decks 13, 12 and 9 have no laundry.

... And, so far, no CUNARD ship has burned down cause some careless person mishandled an iron.
In addition to smoke/fire detectors, potential fires are easier to notice and/or prevent in high-traffic public areas; by their nature these spaces are usually monitored by crew and passengers, who act as fire alarms (so to speak) (Many areas also have CCTV coverage).

This is true of a busy laundry with pretty constant footfall.

Private cabins are a completely different matter; several hours could pass with electrical items plugged in and left unattended/unmonitored. An iron left "on" near fabrics or flammable material, or a faulty passenger's kettle, could smolder or start a fire, and it could be a little while before the smoke detectors would react and alarms sound.

How many of us have returned home to discover we accidentally left the iron "on" before we went out? If only once.

(I believe that on QE/QV removing your card from the slot near the door kills power to lighting and all but one socket in the cabin. This facility is not provided on QM2).

Furthermore the irons in the laundry rooms, and ship-provided kettles in cabins, are maintained by the ship. Who knows what condition someone's old travel iron with frayed worn-out cable, or an "ever-so-cheap/bargain" kettle bought during a shore-visit to a local market, is in?

We may know that our electrical items are perfectly safe. Can we be as certain of our neighbour's iron or kettle?

With differing power requirements/standards, and sometimes non-existent electrical safety standards around the world, better for all concerned to use the provided electrical equipment, rather than have thousands of passengers bringing their own on board, IMHO.

(I'll duck down now, in case I get "flamed" (:D))

Edited by pepperrn