Newbie questions Dawn Boston-Bermuda

Oceangirl60

This will be our first ever cruise experience. We are traveling with our 3 Sons families which include 7 grandkids ages 5-11 in July. I have been researching the Dawn and understand that it is coming out of dry dock soon. Very excited ! I have read about the Iconcierge service on board and hope the Dawn will have it. I called Norwegian but they stated they don't know. We are trying to figure out the best way to communicate while on board and texting looks like it will be the easiest way. What is the cost per day? Does this service work well?

While we are on Bermuda should we get a package from Verizon to allow us to text or call?

Any tips or suggestions regarding the Dawn and Bermuda would be most welcome! Thanks!

This will be our first ever cruise experience. We are traveling with our 3 Sons families which include 7 grandkids ages 5-11 in July. I have been researching the Dawn and understand that it is coming out of dry dock soon. Very excited ! I have read about the Iconcierge service on board and hope the Dawn will have it. I called Norwegian but they stated they don't know. We are trying to figure out the best way to communicate while on board and texting looks like it will be the easiest way. What is the cost per day? Does this service work well?

While we are on Bermuda should we get a package from Verizon to allow us to text or call?

Any tips or suggestions regarding the Dawn and Bermuda would be most welcome! Thanks!

Use the ship's cabin phone's messaging feature Free .

Edited by biker@sea

We used the iconcierge app last time we were on the breakaway. It was around $12 per phone for the entire trip (someone correct me on the price). We're hoping the Dawn will have it, but if it doesn't we usually just make plans in advance when/where to meet. So far it's worked pretty well for us!

In Bermuda there is low cost wifi near the ship that we used to message family at home, and we also bought an inexpensive calling card that we used for about 3-4 calls ($10). I wouldn't recommend paying for cell service, unless you can get a cheap price. It's much easier to make plans to meet back on the ship at a specific location around dinnertime, since most people come back on the ship for dinner.

We're really looking forward to our September trip on the Dawn as well. We've really enjoyed the ship and Bermuda.

Edited by Lovemygreekgeek

We used the iconcierge app last time we were on the breakaway. It was around $12 per phone for the entire trip (someone correct me on the price). We're hoping the Dawn will have it, but if it doesn't we usually just make plans in advance when/where to meet. So far it's worked pretty well for us!

In Bermuda there is low cost wifi near the ship that we used to message family at home, and we also bought an inexpensive calling card that we used for about 3-4 calls ($10). I wouldn't recommend paying for cell service, unless you can get a cheap price. It's much easier to make plans to meet back on the ship at a specific location around dinnertime, since most people come back on the ship for dinner.

We're really looking forward to our September trip on the Dawn as well. We've really enjoyed the ship and Bermuda.

omg Kelly....you are sailing on the sailing right after us!!!!!! Move to our sailing!!!!!!!

I have read about the Iconcierge service on board and hope the Dawn will have it. I called Norwegian but they stated they don't know.
That's what they always say… :p We should find out pretty soon when the Dawn starts sailing again. My guess is that iConcierge will be available, but it will be useful to hear from people how well it works around the ship.

There will be a one-time charge for activating the communication functions of iConcierge on each device you want to use. For a long time it was $7.95 per device, but they have been toying with the pricing on other ships recently, so expect to pay more when your cruise comes around, more like $10-$15. There is no further charge for the text messaging feature (per day or per message), only if you use the application to make voice calls.

Verizon Wireless has completely revamped their international plans (no longer have roaming agreements with cruise lines - it's pay as you go while on the ship) and they offer a package for texts, data and call while on "land". I would call them directly as only you would know what your requirements are and they can better assist you.

Use the Verizon Wireless Planner to get an idea:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/trip-planner-tool/

If you're not using iConceriage, just turn off the data on your phone (in settings) and text each other. Call your provider and ask about international texting plans. Everyone is different but mine, for example, is $0.75 per text up to a maximum charge of $75 per month. But I had an unlimited texting plan for $35. Worked perfectly.

In Bermuda, I bought the local wifi which worked very well. It was not meant to work on the ship but sometimes on the pool deck, you could get it.

Turn off data, turn on wifi. Dont use Airplane mode if you want to send or receive texts. Just turn off the data connection via settings.

Last summer the Dawn did not have iConcierge. We made phone calls to each other's rooms to get in touch and make plans. I've seen people put small white boards on their doors using magnets to allow for family to leave them messages.

We've used post-it notes in the past, but I just looked into the Verizon Wireless plans for our upcoming Bermuda Cruise at the end of July. The Pay as you go offered while on the ship from Verizon is below. Verizon also offers the ability (Travel Pass) to utilize your current plan's calling, texting and data for $10 per day for each day the services are used on Bermuda. It was free to turn on.

Verizon Pay as you go:

$1.79/minute

$0.50/message sent

$0.05/message received

$0.25/MMS message sent

$0.25/MMS message received

$0.002 per KB or $2.05 per MB

Enjoy your cruise!! The Dawn is a great ship, but it was time for a change for us!

omg Kelly....you are sailing on the sailing right after us!!!!!! Move to our sailing!!!!!!!

Omg!!! I just read your roll call. :((((( I wanna party in the GV!!! We did labor day week again because we were trying to save a vacation day to use for our honeymoon next year. :(

We are sailing on the first cruise in two days from Boston to Bermuda on the newly renovated ship. I will let you know when I get back how it works and how much it costs.

Hoping it hasn't increased to $15 per device as I think that is a bit steep, especially when there are a number of us traveling!

Stay tuned...

-L

We are sailing on the first cruise in two days from Boston to Bermuda on the newly renovated ship. I will let you know when I get back how it works and how much it costs.

Hoping it hasn't increased to $15 per device as I think that is a bit steep, especially when there are a number of us traveling!

Stay tuned...

-L

If you are on the 6/17 sailing and go to the M&G, say hi to GamblinRose.