Pride of America 1 Bedroom Obstructed View Family Suite

JBeaty0507

Hey! This is my first thread on cruise critic and so feel free to direct me in the right direction if this has been discussed somewhere else. We are starting to look into going to Hawaii in May of 2017. The Pride of America seems like a good way to get around to all the Islands and get a little taste of what each of them has to offer. Even though I have read some negative reviews, I feel like we will use it more as a floating hotel and so we think we will be okay with the service.

That being said, we're trying to find the most cost effective way for us to go. There will be 7 of us traveling with only 1 being a small child. Would we all fit in the 1 Bedroom Obstructed View Family Suite? If so, how comfortable are we all going to be there? I'm having a hard time finding actual pictures anywhere of this room. If anyone has ever stayed in these suites, I would greatly appreciate any input that you have! Also, do these suites qualify for the normal suite perks? Just any information in general would be great! Thanks so much!

The description of the room lists it as 356 SF and I don't think it has a balcony. The website says it holds 8 people but for me that would be very crowded. The rooms from what I have seen are smaller than on some other ships. This is a very busy itinerary, but was surprised at how much I used the room to rest and get out of the heat. The idea of 7 people and one bathroom would be a BIG issue for getting ready. I had the Owners Suite with my 3 sister and even with a bath and 1/2 things often got crowded trying to get ready for dinner or up and going in the morning. This suite was listed as being about 650 feet and roomy worked well for 4. I can't imagine twice the people with luggage and half of the space working for me but if you are a close family and and know that you could do this then give it a try.

This is a great cruise and I had a great time and hope that you will too.

Hey! This is my first thread on cruise critic and so feel free to direct me in the right direction if this has been discussed somewhere else. We are starting to look into going to Hawaii in May of 2017. The Pride of America seems like a good way to get around to all the Islands and get a little taste of what each of them has to offer. Even though I have read some negative reviews, I feel like we will use it more as a floating hotel and so we think we will be okay with the service.

That being said, we're trying to find the most cost effective way for us to go. There will be 7 of us traveling with only 1 being a small child. Would we all fit in the 1 Bedroom Obstructed View Family Suite? If so, how comfortable are we all going to be there? I'm having a hard time finding actual pictures anywhere of this room. If anyone has ever stayed in these suites, I would greatly appreciate any input that you have! Also, do these suites qualify for the normal suite perks? Just any information in general would be great! Thanks so much!

Edited by gwsster

Do you have a particular room in mind? I didn't realize the POA had a room for 8 but the NCL site does say that although the CDP site shows a smaller number although that is not unusual.

Yes, you would get all the suite perks. 7 in a room of 356 sq feet would be tight for me.

Don't worry about the negative reviews - we went in March and all was good.

I have seen this OBS OV suite but really only from entering the door and peeking in the 2 rooms. It was occupied by 7 adults - the "men's room" (3) and the "ladies room" (4). It was fairly early morning before the beds had been made up and there were at least five adults in there at the time (not in bed...lol!). It looked a bit cramped.

I do not know how it is organized during the day, if beds are folded up or whatever, or where they would put luggage, I didn't study it that closely, but I can tell you that at least 2 of the adults travelled with carry-on only.

They did have a butler....I saw him daily as I was staying just down the hallway

I thought that one of the occupants said there were 2 bathrooms but not 100% sure on that, would certainly help if that is the case :p

I have stayed in an interior with 2 other adults, beds took up much of the floor space, I would say that the OBS OV suite looked like 2 of those side by side. It works if you do not spend much time in the cabin and have similar sleeping times.

We had suite 13502 - it was a huge suite, with a HUGE deck.. a king bed, queen murphy and a sleeper sofa of unknown size (we didn't use it). 1 pretty large bathroom; we had 3 ladies in that suite and I am not sure it would have been all that great had we had more. My brother traveled with us and he booked a studio right across the hall from us...which they then upgraded (free of charge) to a family inside cabin - which was also right across the hall from where our suite was. :D he basically used his room to 'sleep' and shower (extra bathroom).

Pride of America is mostly a floating hotel. It's a beautiful ship, but the sidewalks typically roll up around 9-10 pm every night because everyone is so pooped from the day's events and another full day ahead of them the next day. We didn't do much on the ship but sleep and eat .... it was still a lot of fun and I can't wait to go back.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be able to tell you about it when I get back from my cruise in October. There are six of us (three couples) booked in one of these cabins, and I've looked high & low for reviews, pictures, etc., without much luck. From what I understand there's a 2nd bathroom off the bedroom, which has a bed & two drop down bunks. Then there's the bed in the main cabin area & a couch that each sleep two. We will get the "suite" perks including a butler & concierge. I also plan on taking & posting pictures.

• 4 months later...
I'll be able to tell you about it when I get back from my cruise in October. There are six of us (three couples) booked in one of these cabins, and I've looked high & low for reviews, pictures, etc., without much luck. From what I understand there's a 2nd bathroom off the bedroom, which has a bed & two drop down bunks. Then there's the bed in the main cabin area & a couch that each sleep two. We will get the "suite" perks including a butler & concierge. I also plan on taking & posting pictures.

Kittymomma did you enjoy your cruise? Was there a second bedroom or second bathroom after all?

• 2 months later...

In case you don't get a response.......I can tell you that it is a suite with 2 rooms. Call them 2 bedrooms, or call them one bedroom with a separate living space that has beds if needed :D The person staying in it told me there were 2 bathrooms but I didn't want to impose by asking to see them.

HTH

Edited by Freckles_51

• 1 month later...
hi guys, has anyone had clarification on this yet? Do you know if the 2 bed obstructed room actually does have 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms?

Yes it does. When we stayed in one this is what ours was like: Your room key opens a door from the ship hallway and you enter another tiny hallway. There is one bedroom door to your left and another one straight ahead. (both doors have a lock on them for added privacy). Each room had a mini fridge, television, bathroom with shower. The smaller room only had room for the bed (or beds if you want 2 twin), the larger room had a couch, table, coffee press, bed, etc. 2 adults stayed in each room.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes it does. When we stayed in one this is what ours was like: Your room key opens a door from the ship hallway and you enter another tiny hallway. There is one bedroom door to your left and another one straight ahead. (both doors have a lock on them for added privacy). Each room had a mini fridge, television, bathroom with shower. The smaller room only had room for the bed (or beds if you want 2 twin), the larger room had a couch, table, coffee press, bed, etc. 2 adults stayed in each room.

Do you have any pictures?

Unfortunately no, I do not. But we loved it so much that we have booked it again and are cruising early in May. I will make a point of taking photos and maybe a short video so that everyone can understand what a remarkable room choice this really is. As much as I normally love having my own balcony, on this cruise I don't miss it since we are in a port every single day.

• 1 month later...

I just got off POA and specifically took photos of cabin 7092 to share, as I was very curious in what this cabin looked like and was unable to locate any photos prior to my cruise. It is cabin category SJ - 2 Bedroom Obstructed View Family Suite. It was a great cabin.

I'll do my best to describe the cabin:

Here is the Entry from off the hallway. As you can see, directly ahead is the "Master Bedroom" and to the side is the "2nd room". The entry has the key card and each of the two rooms has a lock on the door, allowing for privacy.

2192rub.jpg

Here are views of the Master Bedroom:

First we have the "fold out" couch. We didn't use, so I have no commentary on what it may be like to sleep on. It was nice to have the extra space over a normal cabin due to the arrangement of the bed opposite the "living room" area. Next is the view of the Master Bed. Last is the bathroom and "walk in closet" area. To the far left is the bathroom. The bathroom is the standard issue bathroom - nothing special or bigger than normal. Directly behind desk with coffee maker/fridge is a partition that is the closet with shelves, drawers, closet area. Plenty of room for all of our stuff. There is a safe.

14wt8k.jpg

mwv7mh.jpg

16jhw7m.jpg

Here are views of the 2nd room:

First is the sleeping area. There are 4 individual beds - 2 uppers and 2 lowers. I assume the lowers could be combined to a single bed, but am not certain. Last is the closet and bathroom area. The closet is in the far back(where the door would be on a normal cabin) and wraps around to be across from the bathroom. Having the closet in the back, made the room feel bigger, as there wasn't the long corridor feel of a normal cabin. The bathroom in the 2nd room is also the standard issue small size. This room also has a safe and refrigerator. 2z6y36e.jpg

nef6g2.jpg

The room comes with the suite perks - Breakfast/Lunch in Cagneys, Concierge, Butler, Room Service, Priority Tender, Upgraded bathroom amenities. Unfortunately, we didn't utilize the suite perks very much as we were frequently away from the ship, due to port intensive itinerary in Hawaii. Loved the central location, no noise issues, although there was frequent work on the lifeboats just outside our windows, so we had to be mindful of keeping the curtains closed when changing.

• 4 weeks later...