Help with 8 year old

Raxter54

Custody agreement says nothing about vacationing out of county. Vacation isn't mentioned at all. Not a problem because I know she won't mind.

I wish you much luck on this, but it seems you are making alot of assumptions. I'm sure you will do whatever is best for your step son....

I think your story and situation is clear. The only thing I am not clear about is what is the reason for the post. it sounds like you are going to do what you need to in order to surprise him despite the mom not wanting you to.... so what do you want people at this forum to help with?

The question wasn't rather we could surprise him, the question was rather we could just show up at port without him knowing as the surprise. We aren't trying to do anything mom would object to (and never do), Mom just can't keep secrets. If she knew only a week ahead of time and he was with us during that time, no problem. If I need proof at the port, we have to tell her and him sooner. Since Carnivals website isn't clear, I thought I'd ask for help. Now it's crystal clear why this board gets a bad rap. For each person trying to actually be helpful, there's a troll just determined to be a jerk.

The question wasn't rather we could surprise him, the question was rather we could just show up at port without him knowing as the surprise. We aren't trying to do anything mom would object to (and never do), Mom just can't keep secrets. If she knew only a week ahead of time and he was with us during that time, no problem. If I need proof at the port, we have to tell her and him sooner. Since Carnivals website isn't clear, I thought I'd ask for help. Now it's crystal clear why this board gets a bad rap. For each person trying to actually be helpful, there's a troll just determined to be a jerk.

I actually didnt know what you actually needed and so I asked. thanks for calling me a jerk. I did not call you anything or implied.

even with the uncalled name calling of me...

I still have a question

The only thing she would do is not allow us to surprise him.

We aren't trying to do anything mom would object to (and never do), Mom just can't keep secrets

these seem contradictory to me... thats probably why people got confused.

sometimes you can make a post and people can be confused. its really not appreciated calling someone a jerk

I actually didnt know what you actually needed and so I asked. thanks for calling me a jerk. I did not call you anything or implied.

even with the uncalled name calling of me...

I still have a question

these seem contradictory to me... thats probably why people got confused.

sometimes you can make a post and people can be confused. its really not appreciated calling someone a jerk

I quit trying to explain anything to you. First you say it's clear, then it's not, regardless. Some helpful people have actually answered my question. Anyone that's confused (about anything, and not just on this board), is free to ask questions to clarify rather than making rude assumptions, which also weren't appreciated. Goodbye now

I quit trying to explain anything to you. First you say it's clear, then it's not, regardless. Some helpful people have actually answered my question. Anyone that's confused (about anything, and not just on this board), is free to ask questions to clarify rather than making rude assumptions, which also weren't appreciated. Goodbye now

Have a nice vacation cortneyward...

I have never once been rude to you. Just confused. Read back any of my posts to you. I was never rude.

what you are saying is uncalled for but I see you wont see that so please enjoy your vacation and I hope it all works out for you

And you could've asked a question to clarify if you didn't understand instead of attacking without even answering the question I asked at all

If you do get the birth mother to agree to you taking your step son on an international cruise, in addition to getting a notarized letter showing her agreement, you may also want a notarized letter making you and your husband temporary health proxies for the length of the cruise.

If you do get the birth mother to agree to you taking your step son on an international cruise, in addition to getting a notarized letter showing her agreement, you may also want a notarized letter making you and your husband temporary health proxies for the length of the cruise.

Good point, I actually asked an attorney this in case he were to get hurt on the cruise, and was told that the joint legal custody covers both being allowed to make medical decisions. Is that not correct?

Im not sure this is needed if the dad is there. since he is the biological dad. he has full control over health decisions I believe. I think its only when you take a friend or someone who is not your biological child with you,

Good point, I actually asked an attorney this in case he were to get hurt on the cruise, and was told that the joint legal custody covers both being allowed to make medical decisions. Is that not correct?

I believe you are correct.

I am a divorced mom of 2. We have shared custody , but I have primary physical custody. I honestly couldn't even tell you if there's anything in our papers about taking the kids out of the country. Fortunately, we're in a place where neither of us really would be concerned. When I booked our cruise back in January I asked if I would need to fill out any forms as my kids would be using their birth certificates with both parents listed. The rep said there are no forms, but the recommend typing up a permission letter including dates & ports & having the other parent sign & notarize. So I typed a letter, gave it to my ex & he gave it back signed. We then reviewed what "notarize" means :rolleyes:

At the end of the day, I went sans letter. At airport check in TSA asked my 6 year old son his name. He told them. They asked who he was with. He said "mommy". They told us to have a nice flight. Kidd travel without ID required on the airlines so that's their way if checking I suppose.

Nobody at the cruiseline asked for any letter or questioned us at all- especially not about custody status. On my daughter's birth certificate I'm listed under my maiden name. On my son's I'm listed as my married name. My passport is in my married name. I brought my marriage license along just in case. They didn't ask for it. We were checked in with boarding passes, 2 birth certificates & a passport.

(Ps- I knew what you meant from the get go. Hope this response helped!)

You are correct. Joint legal custody means both parents have the same power to make decisions even if one has primary physical custody (me, in the case of my family).

Whoa! Retract the claws! No one said anything about not telling his mom, that's insane. Nothing in the papers mentions taking him out of the country, but she would have no problem with it regardless. We share custody and gave him half of the time in the summer. The only thing she would do is not allow us to surprise him. We would tell her either way, my question was mostly to find out how early we would have to do so.

Thanks for attacking me based on assumptions guys!

wow thanks for correcting those replies...The internet leaves no boundaries :( .I took my children for whom I had joint custody with on a cruise with carnival and since my name was on the birth certificate all was needed was a notarized letter from my EX that he consented to the children cruising out. That and the birth certificate will be fine. I found that info on the website, before I got it.

I have joint custody and placement of my kids and have taken them on three cruises with out my ex husband and never questioned or asked for any paperwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app