Has anyone recently had a sucessful Carnival M & G

Nic6318

Is it any less rude of the very common practice of guests signing up for, and then not showing, any form of organized Meet & Mingle?

Hi Kevin

Absolutely I agree. We have come to expect it...some people just won't show up. This however is a new initiative that Carnival has agreed to put in place. It has been months now and it would seem that it is very inconsistent at best and not very thoughtful for those that it is intended. You say you are wanting to see how it is handled on your cruise, on our cruise there was no party, period. If you read the posts you will see that this is more the norm than the exception. I am just asking, why?

Hi JWJAX

Thanks for passing on the note from the moderators. It is nice to know that someone is looking into this in some way.

I'm still hoping for the best. I haven't booked our next cruise, so I hope this will be resolved by then, or we can go back to arranging our own.

have a great day everyone

Absolutely I agree. We have come to expect it...some people just won't show up. This however is a new initiative that Carnival has agreed to put in place. It has been months now and it would seem that it is very inconsistent at best and not very thoughtful for those that it is intended. You say you are wanting to see how it is handled on your cruise, on our cruise there was no party, period. If you read the posts you will see that this is more the norm than the exception. I am just asking, why?

I think you have your answer... Carnival doesn't really care. Is that easier to digest?

I'm surprised they even contemplated attempting it given the preponderance of people to whine and beg for it, not show up for it and then complain about how badly (if at all) it was handled.

I would imagine its a cruise directors worst nightmare. If it were me, after insulting turn-outs, I would fail to show up or even schedule it myself.

Perhaps that's the norm and I don't blame them one bit. If so-called "strangers from the internet" want to get together on a ship full of other strangers, they should schedule it like they always have - successfully on their own.

I think you have your answer... Carnival doesn't really care. Is that easier to digest?

I'm surprised they even contemplated attempting it given the preponderance of people to whine and beg for it, not show up for it and then complain about how badly (if at all) it was handled.

I would imagine its a cruise directors worst nightmare. If it were me, after insulting turn-outs, I would fail to show up or even schedule it myself.

Perhaps that's the norm and I don't blame them one bit. If so-called "strangers from the internet" want to get together on a ship full of other strangers, they should schedule it like they always have - successfully on their own.

Here is my problem with this. Carnival and Cruise Critic came out with this just a month or so before our cruise. CC hyped it up and promoted it with sticky note at the top of the Carnival thread and set up Meet and Greet Sign Up for those sailing on the 7 day or longer sailings. 75 people from our roll call signed up for this. CC did their part with the promoting and sign up. Members did their part by signing up, excited to try this out on Carnival. Carnival even choose a date/time/venue that was great (Noon on first sea day at the piano bar) and posted it in the Fun Times. Then Carnival dropped the ball. CC didn't, the members showed up so they didn't, Carnival dropped the ball by not doing anything besides posting it in the Fun times. There wasn't any Carnival staff, not even a bar tender. Some of us CC members stuck around and chatted for a bit but I am sure many more saw that Carnival failed to follow through and they didn't even stop. Maybe we would have been more successful planning one on our own...but why should we have when Carnival and Cruise Critic said they were going to plan one for us. If they didn't want to do it and weren't planning on doing anything anyways, then why take it as far as they did. Yes I agree with others. It was rude of them to invite us to a party and then stand us up.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Is it any less rude of the very common practice of guests signing up for, and then not showing, any form of organized Meet & Mingle?

I'm not giving a pass for the fall-down of espousing to sponsor Meet & Mingles, but when there is a high frequency of poor turnout on the guest's part you have to minimally appreciate the apathy.

The most successful events I have attended were those where the guests ponied up some cash to participate. Otherwise, attendance has been dismal.

I'll reserve full judgment until after my first Carnival-sponsored event to see if things happen differently. I'm hopeful - but not confident.

I think Carnival is partially to blame for holding the meetings at the worst time possible. 5:00 pm on elegant night? This is why the tin foil hat crowd thinks Carnival is setting them up to have low turnout so they can say "We tried, but no one showed up". In this they may be right. The M&Gs I went to on RCI and NCL started on the first sea day around 10:00-11:00 when not much else was going on and had a great turnout.

Edited by Rudyard