Scotland to Seattle to Solstice Alaska May 16

Blondie008

• 1 month later...

We have been to many African countries, much of the Caribbean - but there are three Bucket List cruises (aside from land trips) we want to do, one was Alaska - another is Panama Canal full transit and the third Hawaii. These second two we don't think we can do until (if God spares us) we retire as we would like time to travel the USA alongside one of these - we shall see.

When you get around to planning the Hawaii cruise, look at Princess and Holland America's itineraries that include Tahiti. You will not regret it!! Amazing itinerary.

Edited by pcur

Well, I also enjoyed your Scottish banter and found myself trying to read with a Scottish accent. I have a question about your Seattle driver....was your driver pre-arranged through a company? Or, did you just luck out with a fellow who could come at a call or text? DH and I will be visiting Seattle and hitchin' a ride on Solstice in a little under 4 weeks and I am gobbling up everyone's opinions and experiences (although this will be our 3rd Alaskan cruise and 2nd on Solstice, I still cannot get enough of living vicariously). Safe travels in the future

Julie

We have been to many African countries, much of the Caribbean - but there are three Bucket List cruises (aside from land trips) we want to do, one was Alaska - another is Panama Canal full transit and the third Hawaii. These second two we don't think we can do until (if God spares us) we retire as we would like time to travel the USA alongside one of these - we shall see.

When you get around to planning the Hawaii cruise, look at Princess and Holland America's itineraries that include Tahiti. You will not regret it!! Amazing itinerary.

Thanks :) By the time I get to do Hawaii I probably will be old enough to do HAL or Princess LOL - (no offence intended!!)..

Tahiti would be wonderful !! I might have to have just a weeeeeeee peak ;) now :D

Well, I also enjoyed your Scottish banter and found myself trying to read with a Scottish accent. I have a question about your Seattle driver....was your driver pre-arranged through a company? Or, did you just luck out with a fellow who could come at a call or text? DH and I will be visiting Seattle and hitchin' a ride on Solstice in a little under 4 weeks and I am gobbling up everyone's opinions and experiences (although this will be our 3rd Alaskan cruise and 2nd on Solstice, I still cannot get enough of living vicariously). Safe travels in the future

Julie

My husband and I are in the habit of establishing a good driver pretty much in any city we stay for more than a day. If we get a good one - we will get chatting to him - and yes - ask him to text us on our mobile - and then we return text him so we know for sure we have established contact. Then - we give him a rough outline of our plans ahead - This guy "dawootDawoo" (His actual name is Dawoot) as we called him was a sweetheart, He was from Ethiopa, and of course sending money to his family back home. He would run to us between jobs - and plan his extra work schedule around us. The day he picked us up at the ship he must have been sitting in that terminal for well over an hour or longer... he was hunting us down amongst the throng of 2-3 ships all coming in - it was crazy - and yet - he waited... Of course we tipped him well - but on some journeys he didn't even want to take the money which of course we made him take. I texted him from Victoria the night before arriving in Seattle to give him our approx. time to get off the ship - we were so glad he was there for us, would have hated to have been in that taxi rank. I do have his number somewhere if anyone wants it.

He was lovely AND he was a good safe driver - no maniac stuff!

A bit late to the party but loved your review. I often holiday in Scotland and when I did my first Alaskan cruise last year, I described it to my sister as like "Scotland on speed!"

Loved it so much I am back again in three weeks, with few days in Campbell River on Vancouver Island first.

As others have said, do go to Vancouver on your next Alaskan trip.

Thanks for the great review. Loved the zipping story :D

Pat

X

A bit late to the party but loved your review. I often holiday in Scotland and when I did my first Alaskan cruise last year, I described it to my sister as like "Scotland on speed!"

Loved it so much I am back again in three weeks, with few days in Campbell River on Vancouver Island first.

As others have said, do go to Vancouver on your next Alaskan trip.

Thanks for the great review. Loved the zipping story :D

Pat

X

"Scotland on Speed" - lol! Yes - Alaska did remind me so much of home! Have a fabulous trip - and for sure - one day we will go the Vancouver route and take in lots more.

No zip wire though - not ever ever ever going there again!