First Time Cruiser

anitabrad

Leaving on 27th on the Fantasy to Key West and Cozumel. Should I go ahead and prepay gratitude? Should I put money in account before I sail? A little confused about how the cash/credit accounts work on board. THANKS!

I prefer to prepay them, because I doubt there would be anything that would happen that would make me want to take them off. That way it is one less expense to worry about...it's already paid and done.

I believe it works like this

Cash - you deposit an amount on your card and you treat it like a debit/gift card, you buy a drink and that is deducted from the amount until you have no more.

Credit - you are basically linking your sign and sail card to a debit/credit card. You buy drinks, it is charged to your card.

Am guessing that if in either situation you end up owing them you settle that the morning before you get off the boat.

This should sum it up https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1138/~/sail-%26-sign-onboard-account

After refreshing by reading that

If you choose to use cash to back your card, you have to have some on at the start of the cruise.

If you choose to use credit to back your card, it will put a hold on funds ($100) at the start of the cruise, and if you use all that, it'll do another $100 hold until the bank says enough!

If you don't prepay gratuities, it will charge them to your sign and sail card. No idea what happens if you're using cash and your balance is not enough - am guessing you get a note that says to see the guest services desk before disembarking. (and flagged so you can't).

After the cruise it can take up to a week for either a) them to release the hold on the credit card funds or b) send you a check for any remaining cash above $10 - anything below $10 is a donation to St Judes.

Just be careful using a credit/debit card. Carnival will put a hold on your card every couple of days then deduct the full amount at the end of the cruise. The credit holds will drop off a few days after the cruise. So if you do go that route, just make sure you have enough credit or cash in the bank to cover the holds and the final payment.

Since you are only 10 days out I'd just let them go to you sign and sail card and pay them that way. Be sure to take enough cash to cover. You just go to guest services to add cash. You can also use a credit card and then you don't have to worry about the money, it will just get charged to your card. Or a debit card, but they apparently put holds on a debit card and can tie up your account for a few days. We use a credit card, much easier.

You can put cash down for your Sail & Sign account. This account is what pays for your tips, any purchases made on the ship, any bingo games played, etc. Your S&S card is also the key to your cabin.

You could also use a credit card for your account. Everything purchased would just be charged to the credit card that you use.

A debit card can also be used. However, a HOLD may be put against your debit card, which could prevent you from buying anything at all.

We always put down $200 per person on our account. If our funds get low, then Guest Services will notify us and we will add more money to it. If there's any money left in our account, Carnival will refund it to you.

As for prepaying the tips...go for it! It's one less thing to have to pay for during the cruise.

I know there are a lot of folks who prefer to use cash for their Sign and Sail, but it is so much easier to just use a credit (NOT debit) card.

Just pay off your balance every month, and there are no finance charges. It's not that hard to get a credit card, even if you have weaker credit scores. :)

There is NO need to put money on your account in advance, especially, if you're using a credit card. "Holds' are not place on credit card like they are on DEBIT cards...totally different thing.

They can put an authorization hold on credit card transactions as well. They authorize a transaction, which puts the funds in limbo until the transaction is finalized or the hold expires.