Olympics?

E&B

My family just noticed that the Olympics will be starting the day we set sail. Anyone have any experience with sailing during the Olympics? Were events and opening ceremonies shown in various places around the ship? Just hoping they aren't glued to the tv the whole time. DS18 is really into this stuff. When he went to summer camp as a kid and there were no tvs , he'd beg the counselors to give him their newspapers when they were finished.

Edited to add that I just noticed that opening ceremonies are the night before so we can watch that at the hotel in Cape Canaveral. That's usually the only part I watch, so I'm happy about that. A good way to spend the pre-cruise evening.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by E&B

I don't have any experience with this (my first cruise was in 2014, after the Olympics), but I'm following along to see if you get any answers.

Since the Olympics will be on NBC, I'm sure it will be shown in the sports bar (or whatever equivalent on those ships that don't have one) and will be available on cabin TVs (subject to reception, of course). Some events might be shown on the big screen.

I hope things go well for you on your cruise.

In 2014 we sailed during the World Cup. There were usually TV's here and there with it on (and some crew watching or cleaning those tables by the TV on Lido religiously.)

We sailed during one of the Summer Olympics, and one of my favorite mommy-only times (My husband and kids were singing karaoke inside.) was laying around the pool watching the Opening Ceremonies on the BIG screen TV. They had a very low key party out there, with lots of extra wait staff, speciality drinks, and blankets available (it was unseasonably chilly that night). It was fun to hear groups of folks cheer on their nation's athletes.

I do recall the Olympics being on in the sports bar. I suspect they were on in other places, too, but can't remember.