Far East or Caribbean?

Wacktle

I'm looking for some advice. We did a 7 night Venice roundtrip cruise on Royal Clipper in Sept 2014 and are considering either a Far East or Caribbean one for early next year. I'm assuming there's not yet been any Far East cruises? I can't find any reviews. Any thoughts, or things we should think about, before deciding whether we'd like either option? Or should we stick to Europe?

If you like beautiful seas, nice sailing, interesting and diverse islands then the Caribbean is for you.

I have done a lot of land based holiday in Asia - not sure that a cruise there would tempt me.

If you like beautiful seas, nice sailing, interesting and diverse islands then the Caribbean is for you.

I have done a lot of land based holiday in Asia - not sure that a cruise there would tempt me.

Thanks for your comments about Asia. I should have explained that we've already done many Caribbean cruises, but on larger ships. I was wondering what a Caribbean cruise on a Star Clippers vessel would be like. Questions coming to mind are: do they dock or tender? are there "wet" landings?

Thanks for your comments about Asia. I should have explained that we've already done many Caribbean cruises, but on larger ships. I was wondering what a Caribbean cruise on a Star Clippers vessel would be like. Questions coming to mind are: do they dock or tender? are there "wet" landings?

Of the places we went to:

St. Barts - tender to pier

BVIs - depended on the island but expect some wet landings. No docking

St. Lucia - tender to pier but they did a pick up from the beach too as the tender boat got stuck.

Martinique - docked

Ils des saintes - tender to pier for the town, wet landing for the beach.

Antigua - choice of pier or wet landing. 10 minutes walk between the two.

St. Kitts - tender to pier

Dominica - tender to pier

Of the places we went to:

St. Barts - tender to pier

BVIs - depended on the island but expect some wet landings. No docking

St. Lucia - tender to pier but they did a pick up from the beach too as the tender boat got stuck.

Martinique - docked

Ils des saintes - tender to pier for the town, wet landing for the beach.

Antigua - choice of pier or wet landing. 10 minutes walk between the two.

St. Kitts - tender to pier

Dominica - tender to pier

We did this itinerary too over Christmas 2013. We started looking at Asia for my husbands birthday next year.The cruises looked wonderful and I even went as far as prioritising different islands.But we couldn't find a hotel to stay in afterwards and when it came down to it,we didn't want the long flight from England.So we are now doing Royal clipper around the grenadines,with a good hotel afterwards.Have a good look at Asia and just weigh up what you think you will enjoy..Good luck.

Thanks for your replies.

Jane - The Grenadines itinerary does look good. Which hotel have you selected? I did get 2 quotes for packages for the Thailand/Malaysian cruises, with hotels, but didn't like the look of either hotel, for various reasons.

We are staying on Union Island in Davids Beach hotel.This will not be everyone's cup,of tea,but we have stayed across the waters on Palm Island many times and feel like a change.We know Union quite while and some of Palms staff live there.It is new but looks to be everything we would want in a carribean island setting.Look at Palm and Petit st.vincent for a more upmarket and 'Classy'' stay.

We had a wonderful few days at a small inn in Bathsheba on the non touristy Atlantic side of Barbados before our Royal Clipper cruise in 09. We used the public bus service and taxi to get around. If you like walking beaches and exploring as opposed to the resort experience and ocean swimming thoroughly recommend Sea U Guest house.:)