Nani (beautiful) Hawaii Review Aboard the POA, June 4-11

sunnyvegas

• 2 weeks later...

May I get the dailies as well ? This is our first trip to the islands and I really wanted to check into the non-NCL excursions and you did such a great job at explaining everything

5Fields at ATT.net

thanks, Bill

Late to the game but we leave on August 6th and I wanted to thank you for the amazing review. May I get a copy of the dailies as well.

5Fields at att.net

Thanks so much for taking the time to help us first timers.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

We did this cruise in 2011. Hawaii is great and this cruise provides a way to island hop. We rented a car for both Maui days and one day of Kauai. We enjoyed exploring on our own. The only excursion we used NCL for was the ditch tubing on Kauai. I would do that again in a heartbeat. I would not pay for specialty dining again. The food was subpar and the cruise is already pricey. The food overall on the ship is not as good as the other ships. People tell me it's the American staff. Overall it's a great way to explore Hawaii.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks so much ....we were disappointed that the tubing was sold out three weeks in advance as well as the helicopter we wanted to do ...we are of the same mindset ...we were going to do as many of the excursions on our own - are there any particular things you would suggest we do - do we need to rent a car to go to the beach and such, do I need to make a reservation for the car or can we get one once we get there ....sorry for the barage - just want to take it all in and do as much as possible. Wanted to Snuba and snorkel with my kids - anyone have a suggestion for both of these - like which island or what place to try ? Thanks

We snorkeled at Kona. The wife saw an Eagle Ray which she still talks about. While on Maui we drove Hanna one day and the other side the next. Mamma's Fish House is a must. (Expensive!) Stopped at a few beaches along the way. Reserve your car in advance. In Maui it's difficult to find a parking spot overnight near the ship since so many people rent cars, but we squeezed into a spot. On Kauai we drove to the cliff side until the dead end and then drove to the other end and explored the desert side. I did forget to mention that we did book the helicopter volcano tour on Hilo. Lava Jack's house was still there at the time. The lava won in 2012. It was a fantastic time for my 40th bday. It was just the wife and I, but we want to take the kids one day. It's soooo expensive though.

I think the black sand beach we saw was on Hanna rd. Be prepared for narrow roads and no guard rail if you drive the north side. Lots of fun though. When you are docked for 2 days at Maui and Kauai you can come and go anytime so take your time and enjoy. We didn't get back to the ship until close to midnight the first night in Maui.

The last day after docking in Honolulu we chose the tour bus that takes you to Pearl Harbor and other touristy things then drops you at airport. Very convenient since we didn't fly out until late afternoon.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...