Be your own upgrade (upsale) fairy

crooooze

We had an OV cabin booked for a cruise leaving this weekend. When we originally booked, balconies were $350 more.

With 5 days left, I just called and got an upgrade to a balcony for a total of $65 and also got $25 OBC.

Don't wait for someone to call you. Make that call yourself. It may not always work out, but sometimes it will. You never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by crooooze

We had an OV cabin booked for a cruise leaving this weekend. When we originally booked, balconies were $350 more.

With 5 days left, I just called and got an upgrade to a balcony for a total of $65 and also got $25 OBC.

Don't wait for someone to call you. Make that call yourself. It may not always work out, but sometimes it will. You never know.

Thanks for sharing your experience!! Gives me hope... I am shelling out $$ for Cheers and excursions. I booked a standard interior because the other options are so much more expensive p/p. So I intend to #RATESTALK until my sail date!!!

Great advice! I usually check the prices for a few weeks after booking...this time, found the Ocean Suites were $110 pp LESS than the Junior Suite I was in...so got a cabin upgrade and $220 off! :p

out of curiosity, was your call to a travel agent, a specific PVP or to the regular general help line ?

I booked this one directly through Carnival, so I just called their 800 customer service number and spoke to whoever answered the phone. They were very cheerful and happy to assist.

Nice. Did you happen to book under Early Saver fare?

No, the original booking was with a Past Guest rate. I didn't call and ask for a price adjustment - I asked for an upgrade from ocean view to balcony. Maybe that's the subtle twist...

No, the original booking was with a Past Guest rate. I didn't call and ask for a price adjustment - I asked for an upgrade from ocean view to balcony. Maybe that's the subtle twist...

Very well could be. Thanks for answering!

First time cruising with Carnval so Im not completely au fait with how the pricing system works.

For example if I paid £1000 for an interior room and then six months later the prices were £1300 for interior and £1400 for OV and I wanted to upgrade woupd the price be £400 or £100?

First time cruising with Carnval so Im not completely au fait with how the pricing system works.

For example if I paid £1000 for an interior room and then six months later the prices were £1300 for interior and £1400 for OV and I wanted to upgrade woupd the price be £400 or £100?

Based on what you originally paid so increase would be 400 pounds

I dont think it made a difference. You got what the rate was at the time you called.

I dont think it made a difference. You got what the rate was at the time you called.

If they would have straight up asked for a price reduction it would have been denied since they didn't book ES. But yes, they got the going rate for the room they upgraded to. Who knows if the CSR answering the phone would have even recommended them going that route so it's good they worded it the way they did.

I booked early saver and it came with a $50 obc. I was going to email my pvp and see if I could get a reduced rate balcony or suite if the price was right. Would I lose the obc? My cruise is paid for if that matters.

I booked early saver and it came with a $50 obc. I was going to email my pvp and see if I could get a reduced rate balcony or suite if the price was right. Would I lose the obc? My cruise is paid for if that matters.

The original booking gave you the obc and the new booking probably would be based on current offers which may or may not have obc attached.

Nothing to lose by asking

oops double post

Edited by Micah's Grandad