Turkish Delight

sharkaymon

Our last cruise had Prince Rupert as the last port of call before Seattle. We stepped off the ship and took a nice long walk, admiring stunning displays of flowering trees and bushes. We stopped at a local restaurant where my nephew asked the server what kind of Canadian Food they had on the menu. She chuckled and said, "Well I guess fried potatoes and gravy could be considered Canadian Food." Nephew ordered fried potatoes and gravy and was happy knowing he had eaten "Canadian Food".

On our way back to the ship we stopped in to a convenience store where I discovered a most delicious candy bar. It was made by Nestle and named Turkish Delight. It had a dark-pink jellied filling enrobed in chocolate. This chocolate bar was, indeed, delightful. I am sad to say that, despite exhaustive online searches, I have never found this candy bar again.

Oh there are all sorts of versions of Turkish Delight. In The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe Turkish Delight was said to have brought peace to a sultan's quarreling harem.

I'm not part of a harem but I certainly seek the peace brought by this particular version of Turkish Delight. Have you ever seen or heard of this particular candy bar whenever you stopped in Canada on your way back from Alaska.

On our upcoming Alaskan Cruise ;)Victoria B.C. is our last port of call before arriving back in Seattle. "Help me Obi Wan Kenobi (Cruise Critic posters and readers), your my only hope." (to find this elusive candy bar)

I just googled Turkish delight candy bar and came up with many hits. One of which was a 12 pack on Amazon for less than $13. It's made by Cadbury so it comes from the UK.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by amyh13

This is what the OP is talking about... It's in every 7-11 and other convenience stores up here. :)

Yipee Skipee! You got it! And I can order it here in the states. So silly:roll eyes:but that will be the reason I get off the ship in Victoria BC

Yipee Skipee! You got it! And I can order it here in the states. So silly:roll eyes:but that will be the reason I get off the ship in Victoria BC

Every once in a while I enjoy eating one of those... as well as Coffee Crisp, another chocolate bar only available up here. :)

Every once in a while I enjoy eating one of those... as well as Coffee Crisp, another chocolate bar only available up here. :)

what the heck man?! That's two candy bars that sound terrific that I can't have. Is it because they melt before they get here? I'm getting cheated!

It doesn't matter that there are 6000 other candy bars readily available within a 2 minute walk from me right now. THOSE two are not among them. Harrumph!

Well, my wife has mentioned that an Alaska cruise might be fun...:cool:

what the heck man?! That's two candy bars that sound terrific that I can't have. Is it because they melt before they get here? I'm getting cheated!

It doesn't matter that there are 6000 other candy bars readily available within a 2 minute walk from me right now. THOSE two are not among them. Harrumph!

Well, my wife has mentioned that an Alaska cruise might be fun...:cool:

The reason you can't get them down here in the states is because of the good ole USA government. It's called a monopoly.

Used to think completion was good but Nestle can't sell it up there because it is too much like the Cadbury product. So they make it in the States to complete with it. Maybe Cadbury just doesn't want to sell it down here, and compete with Nestle'. But they sell other products here, so I don't see why not.

Edited by HawkIVette

Here you can stock up and get the 36 pack:

https://www.amazon.com/Nestle-Turk-Chocolate-76-2oz-Canada/dp/B006NL3N8G/ref=pd_lpo_121_tr_t_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0PM3DPXGWMCWKZXHAW03

I bring back confectionary from various countries and usually taste only a tiny amount and then, if it is good and appropriate for this use chop it up and convert it into homemade ice cream or gelato. Seems like this product would be awesome for that - maybe with some rose water and candied rose petals in the vanilla base.

Edited by SuiteTraveler