On a budget

vietgirl

Suggestion on what is the best things to do on a budget in Cozumel. We are not picky just on a budget. Like to see the Ruins but everyone said to go to the mainland where is the mainland? Price? Too far? Anything free will be good. Haven't book cruise yet but planning to go in August..first timer. It's a bucketlist cruise for me...hopefully I will make it until then. Trying to see if we can afford the cruise. Thanks for any suggestion ...

Suggestion on what is the best things to do on a budget in Cozumel. We are not picky just on a budget. Like to see the Ruins but everyone said to go to the mainland where is the mainland? Price? Too far? Anything free will be good. Haven't book cruise yet but planning to go in August..first timer. It's a bucketlist cruise for me...hopefully I will make it until then. Trying to see if we can afford the cruise. Thanks for any suggestion ...

The big ruins (Tulum, Coba, etc.) are on the mainland which involves a 40+ minute ferry ride to Playa del Carmen. I would only go to the mainland on a cruise sponsored excursion, and those usually do not meet the definition of "budget."

There are some small ruins on Coz - IMHO they are not worth your time.

What do you want to do? Beach? Snorkel? Sail? Scuba? Swim with the dolphins? :confused:

Who are you cruising with? Honeymoon? Family? Toddlers? :confused:

Read this board and give us some more info so that the suggestions will be closer to your target.

Thank you so much for the reply. We will be a family of four with two sons 22 and 24. We like anything. But almost everything I looked at cost about 50 something a person. That's 200 an activity. Which one is really worth 200? Or less if possible. We love to eat seafood and steak, we like to drink but not like bar hoping drink..more like margarita..pina cola..kind of drinking. Would love to go do the dolphin, how much is that? Of course also a little shopping. I'm praying that this is not my first and last cruise but this is on my bucketlist to do at least one cruise.

There is not really any "excursions" you can do for less than $50 a person. There are some beaches you can pay to go to but once you add in drinks food and other amenities it will be $50 or over. There are a few all inclusive beaches that are little over $50 plus cab back and forth will be another $40 for four. So looking over $250 for four. We like Nachi Cocom which is all inclusive for $55. Mr Sanchos is $55 also. Plus cab ride. Both are good and you can research on Cruise Critic which one think is best if beach day would be your choice. See this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2352271

For about $10 each way all 4 of you could cab to The Money Bar Beach Club and enjoy great snorkeling from the shore. No real beach - you enter the water via steps - but the snorkeling is good. Rental gear and guides available if you want them, good facilities, lockers plus good food/drinks/service. No admission fee, but it is polite and expected that you will order something off the menu (great nachos! ;)). Plenty of room for sunning and relaxing - check trip advisor reviews for photos, etc.

If you bring your own snorkel gear - cheap sets can be found at Walmart and Costco - and keep your food/bar bill under control the 4 of you could enjoy a fun day for under $50 total. :cool:

http://moneybarbeachclub.com/

Paradise Beach is another option to consider. We went there in April and had a great day on a budget. Cost of admission was $3.00 per person, which included a lounge chair. They require you to spend $10.00 per person for food/drinks. It's a beautiful property with a nice beach, swimming pool, and restaurant/bar. There's plenty of sun and shaded areas. Taxi was $15.00 each way (total for 4 people).

http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com/

Is the Money Bar an appropriate place for children?

Only if they are old enough to snorkel. There is no "beach" there - the sand at most beaches clouds the water and spoils the snorkeling. The shore is rocky and you enter the water via some steps. There is a sandy area for sunning and relaxing.

With little ones I would head to Playa Mia (great kiddie water park) or Paradise Beach (nice beach, HUGE pool, great facilities).

If you are fine with a beach with no frills (no inflatables, pools, water toys, etc.), go to Playa Palancar. The taxi fare will be more because it is the furthest away, but there is no cost to get in. If you use a table and umbrella, you are expected to buy food. The beach is less crowded and quiet. They have snorkeling gear to rent if you want to snorkel. Our family had a nice, relaxing time there.

Another good way to save money is to head out early in the morning and hit a beach, then return to the ship for lunch on-board. After lunch head back out to explore the town. San Miguel is a great walk-about town.