Cheers: Not about breaking even for us

zabaco

I told my husband when you have cheers it's like an all-inclusive vacation

Except on an all-inclusive Everyone is paying for drinks ... If you drink or not

That's the price

With Cheers you don't have to buy it BUT if you do you have that all inclusive

My friends from MN call this "a beer and a bump". My wife loves that term lol

I have found using first's tipping method with a bartender also works for the 5 minute rule. On my last cruise my wife and I wanted to partake in a beer and a bump with some folks we met on the ship. My guy did it for us with a wink and a smile.

Or "Beer and a Ball" as my mom used to say~

We are cruising in a week (yay!) and even though I don't think we will "break even" on Cheers, we bought it. Let me explain.

My husband is not a big drinker at all, but he does drink. At home, he drinks a beer pretty much every night and enjoys a glass of wine with dinner. There is NO WAY he will drink enough to make up for the cost of Cheers (me, on the other hand....I love those fruity concoctions on vacation!)

So why in he world would we get Cheers? Without Cheers, he won't drink at all on the cruise because he hates to spend money on a drink by drink basis. Even if he would enjoy a beer or a glass of wine, he won't order one because of the cost.

So for us, Cheers is my way of getting him to loosen up and enjoy himself during the cruise. That is worth the extra cost, right there.

It might sound stupid, but psychologically there just something different about the fact that it's paid for up front so you can relax and enjoy yourself without having to worry.

I'll keep track and see how we do. I'm not going to TRY to break even (because that doesn't sound fun, either) but I am interested to see how we do. The addition of the bottled waters and coffee drinks, etc. really made the difference--I'm looking forward to having as much bottled water as I want plus San Pelligrino in the MDR.

So--even if we don't "break even", I think Cheers will enhance our vacation experience so much that it will be worth the cost. And THAT is worth paying for.

I am going to murder the cheers program! I have a cruise in October, and my goal is to double the daily cost. I am glad to see that cheers now offers specialty NA drinks. I will probably have a fancy coffee in the morning, a couple of energy drinks throughout the day, a sports drink after hitting the gym, and several bottles of water.

Alcohol wise: I will have a bloody Mary and mimosa every morning for breakfast, I will have wine with dinner and a fancy shot with dessert. These 4 drinks almost cover the Cheers price. I don't know if I will hit the 15 drink limit, but I plan on only drinking top shelf and ordering drinks I normally wouldn't.

It will be nice not worrying about the SS bill at the end.

We are cruising in a week (yay!) and even though I don't think we will "break even" on Cheers, we bought it. Let me explain.

My husband is not a big drinker at all, but he does drink. At home, he drinks a beer pretty much every night and enjoys a glass of wine with dinner. There is NO WAY he will drink enough to make up for the cost of Cheers (me, on the other hand....I love those fruity concoctions on vacation!)

So why in he world would we get Cheers? Without Cheers, he won't drink at all on the cruise because he hates to spend money on a drink by drink basis. Even if he would enjoy a beer or a glass of wine, he won't order one because of the cost.

So for us, Cheers is my way of getting him to loosen up and enjoy himself during the cruise. That is worth the extra cost, right there.

It might sound stupid, but psychologically there just something different about the fact that it's paid for up front so you can relax and enjoy yourself without having to worry.

I'll keep track and see how we do. I'm not going to TRY to break even (because that doesn't sound fun, either) but I am interested to see how we do. The addition of the bottled waters and coffee drinks, etc. really made the difference--I'm looking forward to having as much bottled water as I want plus San Pelligrino in the MDR.

So--even if we don't "break even", I think Cheers will enhance our vacation experience so much that it will be worth the cost. And THAT is worth paying for.

I'm so happy you posted this!!! I've been trying to decided if Cheers is right for us or not. I think much like your husband, I hesitate to buy myself that nice frozen concoction because I'm adding it up in my head. My husband on the other hand feels that if we are on vacation we should relax and not think about each nickel and dime we are spending (to an extent). He is the one that said to go ahead and get it, this way I will actually relax and sip a margarita or two by the pool. I think the addition of the non alcoholic beverages is what is pushing me towards doing it. He will enjoy getting himself a milkshake in the evening, as well as getting a soda here and there, and I can grab water (I don't drink soda). I can't wait to see how it all works out for you.

Laurie :)

I understand where you are coming from because my DH is the same way. Having said that, I don't think it would enhance our vacation the way it would yours because my DH would want to get his "money's worth" out of it and drink himself sick and end up not enjoying the cruise as much. Having said that we did pick up the promotion of the free UBP on our NCL Escape cruise next year where we pay the approx. $100 in tips pp. I think this is a perfect solution for us as he would only have to drink a couple drinks a day to "get his money's worth" so he won't be drinking himself sick, but drinking enough to relax and enjoy the cruise without worrying about spending big dollars on the drinks. Sometimes with that mentality we walk a fine line. I'd rather have drink too little and enjoy a cruise he can remember, than drink too much and waste our vacation being sick and miserable.

Thanks so much for starting this thread - it's been very interesting to read everyone's thoughts. I'm having my own debate about this exact thing for our cruise in the spring. In our case, I'm the one who will obsess over the cost. Even if I go in saying "we're going to spend $X on drinks," once we're on the ship, I just know the dollar signs will start flashing and I'll be obsessed with watching how much it's all adding up to, etc. DH is fine either way. Neither of us drinks very much, but the idea of the all inclusive feel once we're there is still very appealing.

I hope you're having an amazing time celebrating on your cruise. I look forward to seeing your thoughts on this when you return.

This has been so fun reading. My only experience with a cheers type of cruise was on RCCL & NCL(included with cruise fare). For our 30th wedding anniversary, we with cruised with RCCL out of Galveston and paid dearly for the drink package. It was just great and made me(the money manager in this family)enjoy things I would have never ordered such as a Lemon Drop! On NCL, the beverage package was included in cruise fare, was so much fun. As a side note this was out of Galveston too. I still don't understand why Carnival doesn't have Cheers on day one, please explain. We have a cruise planned for January 2017 on the Breeze and I will be purchasing the Cheers program for us. We are looking forward to trying many different drinks and nice that it includes bottled water and other non alcoholic items.

Please continue to share. This is the only way I have learned so very much. Cruise on my friends!!

This is exactly why we'll purchase Cheers as well. I watch every dime we spend and will go without buying a drink I'd really like to try because of the cost. My husband has already decided to purchase Cheers so that the drinks are paid for and nobody has to worry about cost!!

If I don't have the exactly correct answer, I'm sure someone will chime in and set it straight. TABC Texas Alcohol and Beverage Commission, requires Carnival to only sell drinks that have the tax paid in Texas, until they get out of Texas waters. It's easy to know when that happens as when you get a drink receipt, the tax will no longer be put on when you are out of the area. If, they, then, let you buy Cheers!, you might be angry as it would not give you a full day of it. It will be available at 6 am, the next day. Also, choices are limited while still in Texas, 12 oz. beers versus the 16 oz. you will see later. And some liquors. This has never interfered with our cruise personally, but, as, some months here, the fog does not permit Carnival to sail out of the port, I have spoken to some cruisers that have gotten off the ship and are wandering around Galveston. They had been on the ship 2 days and Texas stamped drinks were GONE, (think they were beer drinkers) so were getting off to find a bar. The only way it has ever affected us, is now, when we disembark we never bring "duty free" alcohol. TABC is waiting to tax it, so no savings in my opinion. Other OP'S have posted that Carnival lets them know what you have bought. Don't know, don't care. Stupid law as makes duty free, NOT! Enjoy your cruise! We always get Cheers! As others have said love the all inclusive feel.:)

I think the OP has sailed. And is sailing out of the East Coast. But good info on the TABC rules for Galveston cruisers.

And to all who are like minded with the OP...Keep Calm and Splurge ON!:p

For the rest of us penny pinchers...we can still have great cruises :)

I think the OP has sailed. And is sailing out of the East Coast. But good info on the TABC rules for Galveston cruisers.

And to all who are like minded with the OP...Keep Calm and Splurge ON!:p

For the rest of us penny pinchers...we can still have great cruises :)

We reviewed our receipts from past cruises and found that the Cheers program would a little bit cheaper. We are not big drinkers and like you, I like my fruity concoctions! By the time we added up all the specialty coffees, buckets of beer and my fru fru cocktails, it was actually cheaper to buy the Cheers program. We are going to try it and see how it goes. I want to be able to have a great vacation and not worry about a $1,000 drink bill at the end.

I totally see the OP's point. If you had to pay for each meal, or each snack consumed on the ship, would you still induldge, or would you skip breakfast, have a light lunch or maybe smuggle in some food so that you would not have to have a large "food" bill at the end of your cruise.

I know that my husband and I eat more on a cruise, try different food, and enjoy that snack (that we would never have at home!). I'm not sure we would do this if paying ala carte.

I totally agree with you OP. If you are sailing, I hope you come back and let everyone know how much you enjoyed it. I'm sure your having a great time!

For us it's all about the "all inclusive" vacation and not worrying about how much something is going to cost just like many others have posted here. I am not a big drinker at home, but on vacation I like to have a good time. I also like to prepay for everything including my tips so I don't have to worry about anything other than spending money.

If your out by the pool and that frozen drink melts, just get another one. Want to try something new? Do it, no matter how much it costs. If you don't like it just get something else! You can pick up a bottle of water on the way off the ship or on the way back onboard stop and get a drink, soda or water and take it back to your room to enjoy while your getting ready. Especially being on the Lido deck this time, I am going to really enjoy the package. Close to the bars and action. :)

Everyone chooses what they want to spend their money on. While some would never book anything other than an inside cabin (I have a few friends like that), or splurge on specialty restaurants, we prefer balcony or suite cabins. Sure it costs more, but we work hard for our money and we get the right to decide how we will spend it whether it makes sense to someone else or not.

If you do the math and add in the bottled water ($4.95 for San Pellegrino or Aqua Pana at dinner or $3.95 for a 1.5 liter, $1.95 for .5 liter), soda ($1.95), milk shakes, bottled tea, specialty coffee and other drinks that you are going to buy anyway, even at two glasses of wine at dinner and one at a show, you will break even. On days at sea, the mimosas for breakfast and frozen drinks by the pool will make it an even better deal.

Here's a link to the drink prices. If you pay the extra $1 for premium liquor it really adds up.

http://www.cruisemapper.com/wiki/719-carnival-cruise-alcohol-drink-prices

Cheers!

Here's a dumb question for everyone. If you want to order a drink with 'top shelf' alcohol, do you just say so? Make it top shelf? Patron, please? I don't know that I even know what the top shelf alcohol *is*. LOL!

You can state the brand, or say ultra premium. This is based on the following link:

Here's a dumb question for everyone. If you want to order a drink with 'top shelf' alcohol, do you just say so? Make it top shelf? Patron, please? I don't know that I even know what the top shelf alcohol *is*. LOL!

Its actually a pretty good question....depends on the bar. If you are at Half Moon Cay, and go to the bar, they may have a limited supply of bottled liquor, so there may be only one choice of "topshelf" (ie: they may have Smirnoff as their speed rack vodka and that is the "regular" vodka" and if someone should ask for topshelf, they may only have say Absolut). Typically if you go to a fully stocked bar and ask for top shelf vodka, the bartender may turn to you and say "do you want Absolut, Grey Goose, Stoli, Kettle One, etc....Just a recommendation, if say you wanted a premium vodka cocktail, instead of ordering a "screwdriver" you could order a "Absolut Screwdriver"

Edited by First and Ten

Exactly, my DH always order "top shelf" margaritas (this is normally a floater on top), while I will order the Patron margarita which is premium tequila. That one is listed as $10.95 on the bar drink menu. I also prefer nice wine, so getting the good wines instead of the cheap ones to save money is really nice. We've been cruising for years and really enjoyed it on Celebrity when they introduced these packages. Very happy that Carnival caught up with the other cruise lines, but now they need to offer the packages for free like Celebrity or change the policy of everyone in the cabin has to buy the package. It doesn't really work when one person doesn't drink at all. Of course that's another thread. :D

I am doing a B2B on the Miracle early next year...a six day, followed by a seven day. I am not a big drinker and always thought Cheers was too expensive for the amount I usually drink. But now with the addition of milk shakes, specialty coffees, etc., I decided to try it for the six day cruise.

And once I purchased it, I realized that even if I don't reach the break even point, it will give me the freedom to order without keeping track of how much I've spent. I ordered a milk shake on my last cruise and it was delicious. Just didn't want to order any more because of the cost. Same with the coffees. I stuck to the Lido stuff or room service coffee because they were free, but now I can try the "good" coffees. :)

I was going to wait until I'd actually tried it for a couple of days before ordering the Cheers package for my second cruise, but the more I think of it, the more I think I'll just go ahead and buy it for the other cruise, too.

Its actually a pretty good question....depends on the bar. If you are at Half Moon Cay, and go to the bar, they may have a limited supply of bottled liquor, so there may be only one choice of "topshelf" (ie: they may have Smirnoff as their speed rack vodka and that is the "regular" vodka" and if someone should ask for topshelf, they may only have say Absolut). Typically if you go to a fully stocked bar and ask for top shelf vodka, the bartender may turn to you and say "do you want Absolut, Grey Goose, Stoli, Kettle One, etc....Just a recommendation, if say you wanted a premium vodka cocktail, instead of ordering a "screwdriver" you could order a "Absolut Screwdriver"

Thank you! Looks like before I go on my ladies cruise, I need to brush up on my drinks and alcohol names. :D I mean - if I buy cheers, I might as well get the good stuff!! :D

You can state the brand, or say ultra premium. This is based on the following link:

Great list as to answering the op's question about brands. I wonder where to find one more current as to prices? Would like to print one out to show someone on the fence so they can see how it would benefit them. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure prices has increased since that list was posted.:confused: Thanks in advance if anyone can help. Oh, and I don't do the social media site we aren't supposed to mention.:)