Vancouver help

mycruise2000

Hello,

Need some help with my Vancouver itinerary. Arriving on Monday 1pm and taking Alaska curise on Friday. Staying in downtown near CanadaPL.

Monday - Stanley Park and walk around the city.

Tuesday - Van Dusen Gardens, Queen Elizabeth Gardens with Bloedel Conservatory.

Wednesday - Grouse mountain - Zipline with Peak Experience (Skyride, mountaintop activities and Peak Chair access) and Lynn Canyon only for the bridge

Thursday - Take a ferry out to Bowen Island for a hike.

Question : 1. Can I do grouse mountain and Lynn canyon on the same day?

2. Is Bowen Island worth the visit.

3. Place to walk at night Seawall, Canada Pl or anymore

Appreciate your input.

Hello,

Need some help with my Vancouver itinerary. Arriving on Monday 1pm and taking Alaska curise on Friday. Staying in downtown near CanadaPL.

Wednesday - Grouse mountain - Zipline with Peak Experience (Skyride, mountaintop activities and Peak Chair access) and Lynn Canyon only for the bridge

Appreciate your input.

We Vancouver types are very used of finding ourselves as part of Alaska.:)

Yes, you can do both Grouse Mtn and Lynn Canyon in the same day.

Bowen Is....well I must admit it has been quite a few years since I last set foot on Bowen but it has very much a bedroom community of Vancouver. I might suggest a trip up here to the Sunshine Coast, the ferry operates from the same terminal as the Bowen ferry.

Walking in Vancouver is very safe only the downtown east side is a bit seedy. A walk from Canada Place along the sea wall would be a wonderful evenings walk.

http://www.sunshinecoastcanada.com

Hello,

Appreciate your input.

Thoughts....

[YOUTUBE]rx-ClLHK3Yg[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]_o2ECsk7haw[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]pJdkKFNLYOE[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]k8h1oLcVWLI[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]zutUe_0X3PA[/YOUTUBE]

While I tend to agree that the Capilano Suspension Bridge is popular with tourists, it needs to be remembered that it was designed for the tourist market. Lynn Canyon on the other hand is designed largely to be natural in fact little has changed since I was there as a child in the early '50s other then that it's network of trails has been expanded dramatically .... It really is the choice for those who enjoy nature and want spend time hiking.

I dont have any plans for Stanley park but to spend time at park walk around and by evening go to a nice restaurant for dinner. We really want to take a ferry ride to an island to get the panoramic view of Vancouver city, enjoy the boat ride and spend day in hiking. So can you suggest which islands are good for hiking

We really want to take a ferry ride to an island to get the panoramic view of Vancouver city, enjoy the boat ride and spend day in hiking. So can you suggest which islands are good for hiking
For a water views of the city. May I suggest....

• make a reservation for "taxi" from Granville Island to Bowen Island.
  • After exploring the island, return on the BC Ferry.
  • bus to Lonsdale Quay and return via Seabus.

The water taxi will offer a view of English bay you will not see from the cruise ship. The cruise ship will offer a view of the city.

http://eblaunch.com/bowen-island-ferry-routes-schedule

You also want to look into a lunch/dinner cruise of Indian Arm. There's some waterfalls up the arm that many don't get to see.

https://www.boatcruises.com/tour.php?pv=p3

The ferries from Granville Island to Telusphere (Science World) may be of interest too.

Edited by xlxo

Many people on the board suggest not going Capilano bridge being too touristy. We love nature and less crowded. The same reason we are not going to Butchart gardens but opted for Van Dusen Gardens, Queen Elizabeth Gardens .
A tip.... consider visiting these parks later in the day when there is less crowds and cooler. Perhaps on your Monday when you arrive.

From another post.... I can see you are here early July. Official sunset time is 9:20pm. Expect light until 9:30pm.

Edited by xlxo

I dont have any plans for Stanley park but to spend time at park walk around and by evening go to a nice restaurant for dinner. We really want to take a ferry ride to an island to get the panoramic view of Vancouver city, enjoy the boat ride and spend day in hiking. So can you suggest which islands are good for hiking

Best views of Vancouver are not from any of the islands - they're from across the water in North and West Vancouver. Unless you take the 'taxi'a s xlxo sugegsted, you'll have to leave the city in order to board the ferry - which means zero views of Vancouver on these routes!

If you are going over to Grouse on the free shuttle you'll cross Lions Gate bridge - sit on the right hand side and look out and back for high level views of downtown. Views from Grouse are also spectacular.

Coming back from Lynn Canyon, take Seabus over from Lonsdale Quay - take photos before boarding (and also on the boat if you sit at the front, there are big windows but rarely clean enough for really high quality shots). Plenty of hiking around Lynn Canyon - the Baden-Powell trail runs through it.

Best views of Vancouver are not from any of the islands - they're from across the water in North and West Vancouver. Unless you take the 'taxi'a s xlxo sugegsted, you'll have to leave the city in order to board the ferry - which means zero views of Vancouver on these routes!

If you are going over to Grouse on the free shuttle you'll cross Lions Gate bridge - sit on the right hand side and look out and back for high level views of downtown. Views from Grouse are also spectacular.

Coming back from Lynn Canyon, take Seabus over from Lonsdale Quay - take photos before boarding (and also on the boat if you sit at the front, there are big windows but rarely clean enough for really high quality shots). Plenty of hiking around Lynn Canyon - the Baden-Powell trail runs through it.

That's a good tip to take Seabus from Lonsdale Quay. I will do that.

Thanks for your help.

A tip.... consider visiting these parks later in the day when there is less crowds and cooler. Perhaps on your Monday when you arrive.

From another post.... I can see you are here early July. Official sunset time is 9:20pm. Expect light until 9:30pm.

Thanks Xlxo for your great suggestions.

Hello,

I should add....

• there's lots of trails to explore in North Vancouver
  • you can hike once on top of Grouse Mountain
  • Lynn Valley offers trails with the suspension bridge
  • want a $30 gondola discount? You can hike up the popular Grouse Grind to skip the gondola. Known as mother nature's stairmaster. The hike is 600 feet taller than the NYC Freedom Tower.
  • plan ahead with your hikes.... a lot of trails have very poor cell coverage. You want to avoid call to Rescue teams.

[YOUTUBE]l4Gt6gJWzeg[/YOUTUBE]

My husband and I spent 2 1/2 days pre-cruise in Vancouver almost two years ago. Gorgeous place and lots of things to do. We were on a budget so took the seabus (ferry) + bus to Lynn Canyon. Nice hiking trails plus there is a cafe on site where we grabbed some lunch. The next day, we spent the morning exploring Stanley Park, then took bus to metro-train then walked several blocks to Queen Elizabeth Park. Had lunch there at the Seasons in the Park restaurant with its fabulous views. The waiter was wonderful, keeping our bread basket full. We had a delicious Wild Mushroom Ravioli which was around 20 dollars apiece. They served such big plates that we took the rest back for dinner in our hotel room that evening.

Edited by lynncarol

We are also staying several days post cruise to explore beautiful Vancouver. We plan on the Hop-on Hop off Bus the first day to get an overview of the city and places we may want to visit. Do we need to convert our dollars to Canadian $ for meals, cab fare and incidental purchases? If so, where is a convenient place to do this? We are staying at Lionsdale Quay.

Edited by Luv2escape

If your restaurant, cab, and retailer takes credit cards.... you will be fine. Value restaurants and some retailers may demand "Loonies" (what they call the CDN).