Breakaway July 10 many ? about Bermuda

GeminiBy4

Ten of us are cruising July 10. Definately doing Rising Sun catamaran though it seems you only get 1 hr in the water?! And then horseshoe beach and hopefully if there is a more secluded beach for another day?

Do we rush off boat each morning to get to beach for a good spot? Are there parts of horseshoe better than others?

Sorry for the questions but with a large group of all ages we have to be prepared.

Is it worth heading back to ship to eat and maybe return to the beach? Do we have to be back to ship at a certain time?

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

You don't need to be back at a certain time except for the last day, of course ;)

As for horseshoe, it gets crowded but if you don't care about wanting a chair rental, you can walk all the way over and behind the rocks to all these little coves. The beaches are much less crowded there and they are BEAUTIFUL. Fish frequently swim up into the coves as well.

I have a review of my recent trip here and I talk about horseshoe and the beaches nearby. Lots of others have done the same, just do a search on this board and you'll find some. Also, I would check out the Bermuda board on the Ports of Call forum for an additional wealth of information about Bermuda-specific questions.

Have a great trip!

Is it worth heading back to ship to eat and maybe return to the beach? Do we have to be back to ship at a certain time?

The rule of thumb is that if you are within walking distance from the cruise ship, have lunch on the cruise ship if you want.

Otherwise, try to eat locally, or you will be spending too much time on buses, ferries, or taxis, and waiting for them. Not to mention the additional fares incurred. You are in Bermuda with a limited amount of time; try to spend the minimum amount of time riding/waiting for buses, ferries, or taxis.

SBtS

The ship docks at the Royal Naval Dockyard on the northern side of the island. Horseshoe Bay is on the southern side of Bermuda, it is about a 45 bus ride from Royal Naval Dockyard. We took the ferry to Hamilton which is about a 20 minute ride every hour on the hour I believe and the bus from Hamilton which is about 20 minute or so ride. The buses are good because you can see a lot of the island. There will be plenty of taxis as well when you get off the ship and again at Horseshoe.

It is a nice beach but it can get crowded. We only spent about 2 hours or so there but we go to the beach all the time anyway.

We took a Fodor's Guide to Bermuda out of the library and it was very helpful.

Yes there are many options we did the bus because we bought 2 day bus/ferry passes. The bus ride from St. George to Hamilton allowed us to stop and tour the Crystal Caves which I would recommend anyway plus getting to see many spectacular mansions on the eastern outskirts of Hamilton, plus kids coming home from school.