Transportation Options from Barcelona Airport to Cruise Terminal?

Hello,

My family of 3 and I (4) are taking a NCL Grand Mediterranean Cruise next month and we are finalizing the details of our cruise. One part in particular is how we are to get from the airport to cruise terminal while also being able to stop, see sights, eat, etc. Our flight arrives at 9 and we must be on board at 5, so that gives us 8 hours to see Barcelona. Main question is: rental car, metro, public transport, or other means of transportation? I hope people who have visited before can help a fellow traveler :):):)

Thanks!

In practice you may need to be onboard earlier for the muster drill. There are tours that will collect you from the airport and drop you at the port e.g. BarcelonaDayTours.

Our you could check your bags in and then explore DIY by taking the port shuttle or taxi into the city.

It sounds like you have an overnight flight so factor that into your energy levels. Once in the city walking, HOHO, metro are all options.

There are more than 8 hours of things to see, so you will need to have a rough plan of where to go.

Consider a few issues. Assuming your flight arrives exactly on time (this is often not the case these days) you would likely not be ready to leave the airport until around 10. Since you have all your luggage (including valuable carry-on stuff) that is your major issue. Renting a car, at the airport, and later dropping the car at an agency office in the city, is an option...but not a good option since you would still have to deal with getting a taxi from the rental car office...not to mention trying to deal with Barcelona traffic and parking issues throughout the day.

While it is possible to pay to have your luggage stored at the Barcelona train station, this also does not make a lot of sense for only a few hours (and then you still need a taxi to get to the station and later from the station to the port. What does make the most sense is to just grab a taxi from BCN directly to the Port where you will be able to drop your luggage. At this point, you will still be stuck with your carry-on valuables (most folks do not trust anyone with this stuff). We usually have our carry on stuff in good backpacks...so we can carry that with us for a few hours (if necessary). So if you do not want to wait at the port until you can board the ship and drop your carry-ons in your cabin, then you ate stuck carrying this stuff for a few hours. Getting from the port into the heart of town is relatively easy by taxi or the local bus (which stops right across from the terminals. You may also possibly have access to your ship's shuttle bus (to and from the city) if they are operating and have tickets available at the bus stop (not always the case). We often like just walking from the port into town, but this is more then a mile and would not be fun if you are lugging carry-on stuff.

Hank

You don't have near the amount of time you think you do. As already mentioned, you need to figure on closer to 10a getting out of the airport. I'd suggest getting a cab direct to the ship. Drop off your noncarry on bags. NO, I don't recommend you even consider getting on the ship.

Head out the port, go to the left and take the port bus. 5 euros pp round trip?? It drops you off at the end of La Rambla. Walk all the way up and back, stop at the http://www.boqueria.info/index.php?lang=en perhaps?

You don't have time for the HOHO bus, and this at least will give you a quick look around?

You have to be checked into the ship by 3:30p usually.

We are facing similar circumstances before our Disney cruise next month. I was hoping that we could drop our bags off at the cruise terminal, but I was told by Disney that it was not possible. From what I've seen, there are not left luggage facilities at the cruise terminals.

The solution I found was http://www.bagsandgo.com. For 10 euro a bag, you can drop off luggage at the airport and have it sent to you at the cruise terminal at an arranged time.

I was thinking of taking a taxi to Plaza Catalunya, but for 5.90 euro, the Aerobus can take us there. You can buy tickets with a credit card at the airport, and the bus has wifi. I heard a taxi is around 30-35 euros so for a bigger group, that might make more sense.

We will walk Las Ramblas, eat lunch and shop at the previously mentioned Boqueria before taking a taxi to the cruise terminal.

We are facing similar circumstances before our Disney cruise next month. I was hoping that we could drop our bags off at the cruise terminal, but I was told by Disney that it was not possible. From what I've seen, there are not left luggage facilities at the cruise terminals.

The solution I found was http://www.bagsandgo.com. For 10 euro a bag, you can drop off luggage at the airport and have it sent to you at the cruise terminal at an arranged time.

I was thinking of taking a taxi to Plaza Catalunya, but for 5.90 euro, the Aerobus can take us there. You can buy tickets with a credit card at the airport, and the bus has wifi. I heard a taxi is around 30-35 euros so for a bigger group, that might make more sense.

We will walk Las Ramblas, eat lunch and shop at the previously mentioned Boqueria before taking a taxi to the cruise terminal.

Not sure why Disney gave you that info. If you go to the Port early in the day, you would be able to drop your luggage right outside the terminal (where the stuff is taken by the port workers). At that point, you are still stuck with your carry-on/valuables..which you would not want to check with anyone. But if you can handle carrying that stuff around with you (we often put our important carry-on stuff in a decent backpack) then you could go off and explore....with your valuables on your back (watch out for pick pockets).

Your Bagsngo option is fine, if you trust those folks and are willing to pay 10Euros per bag. But again, you should not even consider trusting them (or anyone else) with your carry-on valuables.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

One more thing to consider is theft.

Barcelona is famous for this.

We usually do public transportation, but in this port, I heard too many horror stories.

I would just grab a taxi and head to the ship.

• 2 weeks later...
One more thing to consider is theft.

Barcelona is famous for this.

We usually do public transportation, but in this port, I heard too many horror stories.

I would just grab a taxi and head to the ship.

I use buses, subways and walk ALL the time in Barcelona. What "horror stories"?? It is no different than any other big city, and a very naive "warning" to make.