Just back from the Royal Princess

erin6494

Will try to get a full review in at some point but for now, just a few observations from our 18 June cruise from Rome to Barcelona.

•Ship was stunning. Fairly easy to navigate but will be much improved with the addition of a center staircase (we are stair people)

•Cruise Staff was great. Definitely different vibe than the Caribbean since it was so port intensive but they did a great job. We had Hawley Magic and We3 as entertainers, loved them both. It was the first Princess cruise for We3, won't be the last. They were so talented and so much fun. There 2nd performance was in the atrium and I bet people were standing 10 deep around the staircases (and even more around the center floor). The comedienne was Jo Little, there are multiple entertainment choices each evening for a reason :)

•Food was good. We are both picky and packed light so most meals were at the buffet. We did have the Curtis Stone chicken pot pie in the dining room and it was "life-changing" according to my daughter.

A few minor issues:

•Cabin R406: I would not recommend the vertical inside cabin layout. While it gives a bit more total space, when the beds are configured as 2 twins, one is butted up right next to the hall wall. It was very noisy. Plus (and this is just nitpicky), the doors are flush with the hall rather than having the "fancy" doorway.

•SOOOOO hard to get outside. I knew the promenade deck was not a walk around deck but most of the doors to get out on deck 7 were marked Crew Only or were roped off as closed.

•Again, nit picky (and I am sure due to the size of the ship)....just not the level of upkeep I expected. For example, there was one of the big bulbs out in the atrium the whole cruise. Paper towel trash cans in Horizon Court were constantly overflowing onto the floor. I passed a bandaid on the staircase carpet for 3 straight days.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Erin

Will try to get a full review in at some point but for now, just a few observations from our 18 June cruise from Rome to Barcelona.

•Ship was stunning. Fairly easy to navigate but will be much improved with the addition of a center staircase (we are stair people)

•Cruise Staff was great. Definitely different vibe than the Caribbean since it was so port intensive but they did a great job. We had Hawley Magic and We3 as entertainers, loved them both. It was the first Princess cruise for We3, won't be the last. They were so talented and so much fun. There 2nd performance was in the atrium and I bet people were standing 10 deep around the staircases (and even more around the center floor). The comedienne was Jo Little, there are multiple entertainment choices each evening for a reason :)

•Food was good. We are both picky and packed light so most meals were at the buffet. We did have the Curtis Stone chicken pot pie in the dining room and it was "life-changing" according to my daughter.

A few minor issues:

•Cabin R406: I would not recommend the vertical inside cabin layout. While it gives a bit more total space, when the beds are configured as 2 twins, one is butted up right next to the hall wall. It was very noisy. Plus (and this is just nitpicky), the doors are flush with the hall rather than having the "fancy" doorway.

•SOOOOO hard to get outside. I knew the promenade deck was not a walk around deck but most of the doors to get out on deck 7 were marked Crew Only or were roped off as closed.

•Again, nit picky (and I am sure due to the size of the ship)....just not the level of upkeep I expected. For example, there was one of the big bulbs out in the atrium the whole cruise. Paper towel trash cans in Horizon Court were constantly overflowing onto the floor. I passed a bandaid on the staircase carpet for 3 straight days.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Erin

Princess has a postcard, at the front desk, where you can report issues that need attention... some of your points seem to merit it. Like you say, big ship but obviously someone is not paying attention... we plan to cruise the Royal next year on a TA... if I see things like this I would report to the front desk for followup.

It moved me also but I believe in the opposite direction. ;)

I wonder it the CS items will be replaced by this fall/winter season?

I hope so, so far we haven't been impressed with his menu or food.:rolleyes:

We only tried the one item, and while maybe not life-changing, it was truly delicious. It was the chicken and leek pot pie and I found it wonderful. Obviously, to each his own.

Hope to get a full review up soon,

Erin

We only tried the one item, and while maybe not life-changing, it was truly delicious. It was the chicken and leek pot pie and I found it wonderful. Obviously, to each his own.

Hope to get a full review up soon,

Erin

That's the one I didn't try.....but no thanks, I've learned my lesson form the first two. There are too many better options on the menu, most of which I've had before and enjoyed.